Groups

Using an old laptop hdd externally

I've got an old 250gb laptop hdd that i'm trying to connect to my laptop via an external usb enclosure but when i plug it in the laptop it doesn't show up on my computer, does it need an external power source? i've used this enclosure before for a different drive and it worked fine

12 Comments

Banned

check connections internally n external

You may need to alter the jumper settings on the HDD itself

Original Poster

harlzter;8060492

You may need to alter the jumper settings on the HDD itself

it's a laptop sata drive, does it even have jumper settings?

right click my computer then go to manage.

from here goto disk management. is the drive showing in there? you may need to re-assign the drive letter or re-initialize. if you do the latter note that it will wipe the drive & need to be re-formatted

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;8060590

Does the harddrive spin up when you plug it into the usb portno power … Does the harddrive spin up when you plug it into the usb portno power supply will be needed but you might need a twin plugged usb lead

the hard drive spins up and i can hear it clicking inthe enclosure, i've only got a single usb lead though
    dcx_badass;8060751

No jumpers on sata, well there are but pretty much never needed. Tried … No jumpers on sata, well there are but pretty much never needed. Tried plugging in both USB cables? The enclosure probably/should have a double cable.

ah right so i'll try a double usb lead then

lanc_red;8060804

right click my computer then go to manage.from here goto disk management. … right click my computer then go to manage.from here goto disk management. is the drive showing in there? you may need to re-assign the drive letter or re-initialize. if you do the latter note that it will wipe the drive & need to be re-formatted

it's not showing at all in disk management

have you tried all the usb ports? i sometimes have an issue where my external drives will only work in certin ports. if the drives spins and isnt making an irregular clicking/ticking sound then id say its orkin fine, but the OS isnt detecting it.

if its a clear repetative ticking sound then id say it either needs more power or its cream crackered

Get yourself an "]Easy IDE" adaptor from Maplin!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/300/a25at.jpg

pugw$sh;8061054

Get yourself an "]Easy IDE" adaptor from Maplin!

OP has a SATA drive

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8060919

Oh actually had I a drive that just clicked when in an enclosure, even … Oh actually had I a drive that just clicked when in an enclosure, even with a double cable, it wouldn't work no matter what I tried, tired two enclosures, no joy. Tried it on another PC and it worked fine, no idea what was wrong, but that drive just clicks with that PC.

strange, i've just plugged it into the wifes netbook and it recognised it straight away, but it won't work on mine

souljacker;8061109

strange, i've just plugged it into the wifes netbook and it recognised it … strange, i've just plugged it into the wifes netbook and it recognised it straight away, but it won't work on mine

is os the same? same lappy model? gotta be sommat to do with ur USB ports

Original Poster

lanc_red;8061021

have you tried all the usb ports? i sometimes have an issue where my … have you tried all the usb ports? i sometimes have an issue where my external drives will only work in certin ports. if the drives spins and isnt making an irregular clicking/ticking sound then id say its orkin fine, but the OS isnt detecting it. if its a clear repetative ticking sound then id say it either needs more power or its cream crackered

just tried it in the other 3 and it worked on the last one i tried :thumbsup::)

souljacker;8061134

just tried it in the other 3 and it worked on the last one i tried … just tried it in the other 3 and it worked on the last one i tried :thumbsup::)

good stuff. baffles me how mine will only work in a select port, but it works......:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Nintendo Ships Every Switch With a Hidden NES Emulator24
      2. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…55
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553760
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826345

See more discussions