EXPIRED

Using Blyk in a non-MMS phone

Hello all.

I've been happily using Blyk for a while now; the network that gives you 217 texts and 43 minutes for FREE each month without ever having to top up.

The catch is you have to have an MMS enabled phone and receive advertisements a few times a day via SMS.

Obviously those who have older mobiles and don't see the need to upgrade to a MMS phone appear outta luck.

There's an easy solution. Simply place your Blyk SIM inside a friends MMS phone. You should receive a test message from Blyk that displays in MMS form, you can also force settings to be sent by texting "SETTINGS" to 247. You don't have to accept any of them - you're only interested in getting the SIM activated.
Once your SIM has been activated (once you've received the green Blyk image) give another phone a call to ensure it's all working. Now simply place the SIM back in your old non-MMS phone and enjoy your free txts/minutes without the catch!

If you do not wish Blyk to know you're using an incompatible handset simply set your handset to not sent SIM messages without confirmation from you (easy to do on Nokias). If you don't do this you'll get an automated message from Blyk saying "Your phone is incompatible, go to Blyk.co.uk to see a list of phones, etc, etc." though your free txts/minutes will continue as usual.

Hope this is of use to some people out there!

6 Comments

Original Poster

http://static.esato.com/gfx/phones/nokia3210.jpg

:thumbsup:

If anyone knows how to manually set up MMS and GPRS for the blyk network on a Samsung i300 smartphone i would worship you if you could tell me how!

There not gonna top up your account if you cant recieve the adverts though.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;1514621

There not gonna top up your account if you cant recieve the adverts … There not gonna top up your account if you cant recieve the adverts though.

Hey, have you ever seen this happen before? I'm yet not to have my account topped up. It seems very few ads are sent in the first period of being with Blyk anyway as their system 'doesn't yet know your interests well enough', etc.

Some ads come via regular texts too (occasionally)

Only had one message so far about advertisements and I have been using Blyk for a Month and a Half......

Really impressed with them so far :thumbsup:

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;1514621

There not gonna top up your account if you cant recieve the adverts … There not gonna top up your account if you cant recieve the adverts though.

Can confirm from a few people using this trick that they all get topped up monthly. They still receive regular TXT ads on occasion.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764089
    2. How dangerous is Donald trump?11
    3. Sad news about Barcelona2074
    4. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1019

See more discussions