Expired

Using Childcare vouchers to pay for a school trip?

Found 8th Jul 2013
Does anyone know if childcare vouchers can be used to pay for a school trip (5 day residential)? I'm hoping if the trip is classified as an "extra-curricular school trip" (i.e. not part of the educational syllabus), then it can be.
Community Updates
AskSchool
5 Comments
If it were part of the educational syllabus would the school not have to foot the bill for it?
opalpopal

If it were part of the educational syllabus would the school not have to … If it were part of the educational syllabus would the school not have to foot the bill for it?

that's probably true...although I forget what our child's school actually pays for, as we are so often asked for "voluntary contributions" to various activities! In this instance though, I think if you don't pay then your child doesn't go. In my case, I can't just pull over £300 out of my backside to pay for it, but I have a nice balance saved up in childcare vouchers, so was hoping to use these.
theyiddo

that's probably true...although I forget what our child's school actually … that's probably true...although I forget what our child's school actually pays for, as we are so often asked for "voluntary contributions" to various activities! In this instance though, I think if you don't pay then your child doesn't go. In my case, I can't just pull over £300 out of my backside to pay for it, but I have a nice balance saved up in childcare vouchers, so was hoping to use these.

Im just curious, ive one starting school next year. Although it will be a bit of time before she goes on outings. £300 is a bit steep especially if "voluntary contributions" when its clearly not because like you say if not paid then they dont go.
Anyway hope you can use the vouchers.
Hi
You cannot use the childcare vouchers to pay for school trips. They must be used for childcare, specifically to an ofsted registered childminder or group
owenpeo

HiYou cannot use the childcare vouchers to pay for school trips. They … HiYou cannot use the childcare vouchers to pay for school trips. They must be used for childcare, specifically to an ofsted registered childminder or group

However this school (not the one my child goes to) seems to think extra-curricular school trips are allowable:

http://www.sthildasharpenden.co.uk/article.php?455

Childcare Vouchers

You can use Childcare Vouchers to pay for non-compulsory elements of school fees. Providing certain criteria are met, they can be used to pay for:-

• Any activity that is not part of a child’s compulsory education
• Any activity that is out of school hours
• Any activity that is held on school premises or
• Any extra-curricular school trips

This means that you can pay for activities such as after-school clubs with Childcare Vouchers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe its because they're an independent school though....who knows!

Edited by: "theyiddo" 8th Jul 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants