Using EE router on Sky

Found 10th Apr 2016
Afternoon HotUkDealer's!

I've recently placed a broadband order with sky (free fibre for a year+ line rental) moving over from EE. Their retentions offered me pittiful deals so thought switching would be best along with their strict traffic management.

However, the only issue I've noticed is that I currently have a hard drive connected on the USB port of my brightbox 2 router which I access on most of my devices. The Sky Hub doesnt have a USB port.

Therefore, can I somehow set up the Sky Hub as the router then use the brightbox 2 as just an access point using the WAN port? This should theoretically allow the USB port to be accessed on the devices connected to the brightbox, as well as the use of AC which the Sky Hub lacks. I know bits and pieces about networking but I've never configured multiple routers and access points on the same network?

I found this thread:

community.ee.co.uk/t5/…490

which i'm hoping gives me some ideas but i would just like some advice from anyone proficient with networking as there are a lot of acronyms which are alien to me.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
8 Comments
You need the username and password from the sky router, these are not accessible from the router you need to search on Google how to do it, calling sky won't get it either
Use the sky router as the main modem.

Turn off DHCP on the EE box and give it a static IP address in the same range as the Sky LAN network.

Connect the EE router to the Sky router using the LAN ports on each. It's up to you but you may also want to turn off the wifi on the EE router as well.

westy125

You need the username and password from the sky router, these are not … You need the username and password from the sky router, these are not accessible from the router you need to search on Google how to do it, calling sky won't get it either

It's not as simple as that these days as sky use MER authentication which most supplier routers don't support for some reason.
Original Poster
mds1256

Use the sky router as the main modem.Turn off DHCP on the EE box and give … Use the sky router as the main modem.Turn off DHCP on the EE box and give it a static IP address in the same range as the Sky LAN network.Connect the EE router to the Sky router using the LAN ports on each. It's up to you but you may also want to turn off the wifi on the EE router as well.

Thanks mds1256 that's similar to what I've read. However, I wish to use the wireless capabilities of the Brightbox rather than the Sky Hub due to dual band AC Wifi rather than single band N wireless of the Sky Hub and the devices need to be connected to the Brightbox to access the disc drive, so turning wifi off on the Sky Hub would allow this, correct?

So in basic terms I just need to put the Sky Hub in router mode (no wifi) between the brightbox and the socket and configure the IP addresses accordingly?
mds1256

It's not as simple as that these days as sky use MER authentication which … It's not as simple as that these days as sky use MER authentication which most supplier routers don't support for some reason.

​Good point, the op will have to try it and see if it works, they still have to obtain the user and pass thats a task itself
Original Poster
so its not possible without this MER username and password? i thought the sky hub would be used as a router and interface with the internet, then the Brightbox just be an access point? does it need the username to connect via the red WAN port?
adamspencer95

so its not possible without this MER username and password? i thought the … so its not possible without this MER username and password? i thought the sky hub would be used as a router and interface with the internet, then the Brightbox just be an access point? does it need the username to connect via the red WAN port?

Ok so run the sky router as the modem as normal, turn off the wifi on the sky router. Turn off DHCP on the EE router, give it a static IP address in the same range, connect the two together using an Ethernet cable in each LAN socket. The sky router will still be connected to the telephone line but the wifi from the EE box will be used rather than the sky's wifi
Original Poster
mds1256

Ok so run the sky router as the modem as normal, turn off the wifi on the … Ok so run the sky router as the modem as normal, turn off the wifi on the sky router. Turn off DHCP on the EE router, give it a static IP address in the same range, connect the two together using an Ethernet cable in each LAN socket. The sky router will still be connected to the telephone line but the wifi from the EE box will be used rather than the sky's wifi

that sounds great, i'll give that a go when my sky hub arrives. thanks for the help!

i'll report back if it works
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions