Groups

Using External HDD for media on Xbox 360

Hi all,

I've bought a 1TB external drive to put movies on & watch them via the xbox.

Works great with my 16gb USB pen, but the Xbox doesn't pick up the external drive as a USB portable device.

Drive is formatted as NTFS, is this my problem (does it need to be FAT32) ? If so, which program should i use to do it (can't do it via Windows).

Thanks

28 Comments

same here tried several but only recognises usb sticks

So I'm guessing you changed your mind about the WD Home Book? ('cos that's FAT32) Or did you reformat it?

Although that's not necessarily the solution to your problem.

get macdrive 7 and format HFS+ to overcome the fat limitations

Original Poster

I got the home book, but it's deffo NTFS, reformatted to be sure & it will only format in NTFS as well ?

ChrisUK;4009112

I got the home book, but it's deffo NTFS, reformatted to be sure & it … I got the home book, but it's deffo NTFS, reformatted to be sure & it will only format in NTFS as well ?

That's odd. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and haven't formatted it and it's showing as FAT32.

Anyone know why?

you can format any disk to any file system

but mac HFS+ is the best for 360 as you can use files larger than 4gig

have a look for your hard drive here and there should be a download that will covert it back to fat32 - which will probably wipe anything thats on your hdd as well.

support.wdc.com/pro…=en

search for fat32formatter in google and click frst link. wee program is brilliant converted my hard drive last night for the very same purpose

Bit off topic here..............

So can i use a memory stick connected to the USB socket and watch AVI files through my 360 instead of connecting my Creative Zen via scart to the TV and watching films through that? :thinking:

fat32 only for 360 and you will need to use a tool as suggested to overcome windows format not allowing over 32gb using fat32

download.freewarefiles.com/fil…zip

dontasciime;4009687

fat32 only for 360 and you will need to use a tool as suggested to … fat32 only for 360 and you will need to use a tool as suggested to overcome windows format not allowing over 32gb using fat32http://download.freewarefiles.com/files/Fat32FormatterEN.zip

and FAT and HFS+

steevieboy4u;4009652

Bit off topic here..............So can i use a memory stick connected to … Bit off topic here..............So can i use a memory stick connected to the USB socket and watch AVI files through my 360 instead of connecting my Creative Zen via scart to the TV and watching films through that? :thinking:

you should be able to as long as your memory stick is fat32 format - thats how I watch my films etc anyway. :thumbsup:

deathtrap3000;4009725

and FAT and HFS+

take it for granted that fat will work if FAT 32 works and who the hell wants apple file system on anything

I should have worded it different (I should have said if you want it to be windows compatible as well then fat/fat32 only for 360 and you will need to use a tool as suggested to overcome windows format not allowing over 32gb using fat32

DD98;4009731

you should be able to as long as your memory stick is fat32 format - … you should be able to as long as your memory stick is fat32 format - thats how I watch my films etc anyway. :thumbsup:

Beauty didnt realise my 360 could decode AVI files will give it a try thanks

dontasciime;4009825

take it for granted that fat will work if FAT 32 works and who the hell … take it for granted that fat will work if FAT 32 works and who the hell wants apple file system on anything

People who want to play files larger than 4gb.
    Which now includes me.

deathtrap3000;4009913

People who want to play files larger than 4gb.Which now includes me.

But not for those who want it to show up in windows without buying a program yeah ? or can you now just install a driver in Xp to have HFS+ show up in my computer ?

Original Poster

The new xbox update supports DivX which is great

I'll try those tools in a bit & let you know how I get on

Banned

mcfallg;4009637

search for fat32formatter in google and click frst link. wee program is … search for fat32formatter in google and click frst link. wee program is brilliant converted my hard drive last night for the very same purpose

Oh dear. I'll have to change my avatar now as an inferior user is using mine

Original Poster

Tried that fat32formatter.

It allows me to chose the external HDD, but the Start button is greyed out, so I can't convert it

Any idea's ?

Does the 360 recognise avi movie files that are on a USB stick then? Hadn't thought to try it as wouldn't work on my ps3 :thinking:

AberBargoed;4010825

Does the 360 recognise avi movie files that are on a USB stick then? … Does the 360 recognise avi movie files that are on a USB stick then? Hadn't thought to try it as wouldn't work on my ps3 :thinking:

It has done for over a year.

Original Poster

Cheers mate, formatting now.

I'll whack a movie on it & plug it into the Xbox & see what happens - will update you all when done.

AberBargoed;4010825

Does the 360 recognise avi movie files that are on a USB stick then? … Does the 360 recognise avi movie files that are on a USB stick then? Hadn't thought to try it as wouldn't work on my ps3 :thinking:

Yes and it should also work on your ps3 like that, on ps3 you may need to press triangle for it to show ALL files.

AVI is a broad term though so in essence it should work depends on res/bitrate/xvid/mp4/divx etc

dontasciime;4010888

Yes and it should also work on your ps3 like that, on ps3 you may need … Yes and it should also work on your ps3 like that, on ps3 you may need to press triangle for it to show ALL files.AVI is a broad term though so in essence it should work depends on res/bitrate/xvid/mp4/divx etc

Pressing triangle worked a treat! :oops:

Thanks for pointing that out, have some rep :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Works like a dream http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/314681/../314479/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

The WD re-formatted it as FAT32, but failed to verify it, so I formatted it using the ExtFat32 application. That too didn't finish (cancelled it after 15 mins) - but put a film on it, connected to 360 & it's picked it up & film plays back great

DanJackson;4010545

Oh dear. I'll have to change my avatar now as an inferior user is using … Oh dear. I'll have to change my avatar now as an inferior user is using mine

I plead ignorant, who's the guy in the avatar? Seen it on other forums and no idea lol

rory182;4014454

I plead ignorant, who's the guy in the avatar? Seen it on other forums … I plead ignorant, who's the guy in the avatar? Seen it on other forums and no idea lol

Some plank from podcasts
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Apple Watch Series 3 EE Contract Cost517
      2. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?66
      3. Ps4 slim how much should I charge 2nd hand.611
      4. Iphone 7 - What Case?619

See more discussions