Groups
    EXPIRED

Using hard drive from an external hard drive

If I buy an external hard drive such as: currys.co.uk/gbu…tml can I take the hard drive out easily and use it in a NAS?

I want to use it in amazon.co.uk/gp/…s00

Does anyone know what drive is inside and why it is more expensive to buy a 2TB internal hard drive rather than an external one?

10 Comments

You should be able to take the drive out & use straight away in the NAS
    Drive is probably a WD Green 2TB

Original Poster

Will that void the warranty if I want to put it back in?

The drive should be OK

I have the D-Link ShareCenter 320L and I didn't look at the list for suggested compatible HD's and took my 1tb from my Medion and purchased a 2Tb Toshiba BNIB from an auction house and dropped them both in and it works fine.

Some techy's will tell you there are Server specific HD's which come at a premium but should last longer but I just covered my ears and went with what I could afford.

Can I ask what is your ultimate requirement for NAS - as if you can afford it I would advise a Microserver as this DLink is limited although it does the basic job as a NAS

dlink.com/uk/…ure somewhere on the link/downloads is a lit of recommended HD's

Edited by: "philphil61" 19th Dec 2014

As long as you open the enclosure carefully & dont have to break any seals / void stickers, you should be fine.

Original Poster

philphil61

The drive should be OKI have the D-Link ShareCenter 320L and I didn't … The drive should be OKI have the D-Link ShareCenter 320L and I didn't look at the list for suggested compatible HD's and took my 1tb from my Medion and purchased a 2Tb Toshiba BNIB from an auction huse and dropped them both in and it works fine.Some techy's will tell you there are Server specific HD's which come at a premium but should last longer but I just covered my ears and went with what I could afford.Can I ask what is your ultimate requirement for NAS - as if you can afford it I would advise a Microserver as this DLink is limited although it does the basic job as a NAS

I have actually purchased it and it is on the way!

NAS wise I wanted to use it simply as a 'home server' where I can access all my documents in one place along with some cloud services.

popo84

I have actually purchased it and it is on the way!NAS wise I wanted to … I have actually purchased it and it is on the way!NAS wise I wanted to use it simply as a 'home server' where I can access all my documents in one place along with some cloud services.

It'll be OK just for basic storage

Think you can find a 2Tb HD cheaper than the Currys

Check here for apps - my family/friends can login on the Lite app and download/access my files
    Edited by: "philphil61" 19th Dec 2014

Original Poster

philphil61

It'll be OK just for basic storageThink you can find a 2Tb HD cheaper … It'll be OK just for basic storageThink you can find a 2Tb HD cheaper than the CurrysCheck here for apps - my family/friends can login on the Lite app and download/access my files

I have a 2TB that I pulled out of a previous NAS (iomega - awful!). I think I will give that a go and see how it works. Currys is right next to me so was gonna pop in to see if there are any deals, otherwise I will get one online.

Thanks for the help!

popo84

I have a 2TB that I pulled out of a previous NAS (iomega - awful!). I … I have a 2TB that I pulled out of a previous NAS (iomega - awful!). I think I will give that a go and see how it works. Currys is right next to me so was gonna pop in to see if there are any deals, otherwise I will get one online.Thanks for the help!

Don't forget any HD dropped into the NAS will be formatted - you'll lose everything

Original Poster

philphil61

Don't forget any HD dropped into the NAS will be formatted - you'll lose … Don't forget any HD dropped into the NAS will be formatted - you'll lose everything

Yep. I was busy taking off 800gb yesterday, another 250 or so to go still!

Original Poster

Hi Phil

I have just installed it. I am getting copying speeds of 8mb/s and streaming is really bad quality, any ideas?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Feels weird!36
      2. SSE Heating Cover11
      3. Currys Return22
      4. Are the free antivirus any good?22

See more discussions