Using Holland & Barrett Malt Extract only for homebrew

Posted 29th Mar
In the absence of a homebrew kit can i make beer using only Holland & Barrett liquid malt extract , granulated sugar and ordinary yeast to make beer?
I have all the equipment / bottles etc.Thanks
Community Updates

Groups

8 Comments
Well it would brew OK, what it would taste like is another matter. You'd also need some hops for flavour. You might also get a stalled brew using normal yeast.

There's a dedicated hme brewing thread on HUKD, might get a better response there.
You could certainly make an alcoholic liquid but would probably taste fairly vile. I guess you could experiment with adding a flavouring of some kind if you don’t have access to hops. Search “gruit ales” (that is not a misspelling).
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 29th Mar
If you're looking to brew try a turbo cider from supermarket apple and grape juice. Ginger beer also works well, all that is required is sugar, ginger and lemons.

Edit, I brewed a Ginger beer and it was quite quaffable. I've currently got a kit on as I wait for an order for grains to arrive. Desparate times require desparate measures
Edited by: "GlentoranMark" 29th Mar
I saw something on the internet where rosemary was used instead of hops.
I experimented in making a malt whiskey from a few bottles of the Holland & Barrett malt extract a few years ago, the outcome was certainly a mixture that could be bottled and carbonated with sugar but would no doubt taste pretty dire, it certainly would contain enough alcohol to get you smashed though if that's all you want.
As for the final whiskey after stilling it was rough!
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 29th Mar
i wasn't in the market for tramp juice. i was just bored and thought i might experiment between brew kits. i started dabbling with homebrew in the mid 80s when kits were a bit rustic but cheap, so it didnt seem like a disaster if it turned out a bit crap. now some of them are quite pricey so i wouldnt what to cock those up.
might have a look at the turbo cider though....
weeZl29/03/2020 18:30

i wasn't in the market for tramp juice. i was just bored and thought i …i wasn't in the market for tramp juice. i was just bored and thought i might experiment between brew kits. i started dabbling with homebrew in the mid 80s when kits were a bit rustic but cheap, so it didnt seem like a disaster if it turned out a bit crap. now some of them are quite pricey so i wouldnt what to cock those up.might have a look at the turbo cider though....

Just try a modern 2 can beer kit they're hard to cock up, the difference between them and the 1980's kits is like night and day, a modern kit can make beer better than shop bought if you leave it to condition in the bottle for a few months.
I agree. The current modern kits are bomb proof and taste much nicer especially if using brewing sugar and dry hopping.
Think the turbo cider is worth trying. Little cost outlay.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions