Using Just Eat drivers (restaurants)

Posted 4th Apr
hi I wanted to know how much commission do just eat charge resuturants for using their own delivery drivers?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
I didnt know there was such a thing as Just Eat drivers ??
sir78604/04/2020 14:16

I didnt know there was such a thing as Just Eat drivers ??

Yep
It depends on your location as just eat in certain areas use third party companies and in some they have their own drivers. Contact Just Eat.
Just eat is just a machine in the shops that prints of your order, the restaurant will use their own drivers. If they pull in other drivers, it's usually from deliveroo. That's how it was when I did them. Just eat from what I gather charge a percentage, think it's around 30% commission for the order. Most takeaway restaurants hate just eat and would do away with it if they could. So a lot have their own apps.
STRICKIBHOY04/04/2020 14:41

Just eat is just a machine in the shops that prints of your order, the …Just eat is just a machine in the shops that prints of your order, the restaurant will use their own drivers. If they pull in other drivers, it's usually from deliveroo. That's how it was when I did them. Just eat from what I gather charge a percentage, think it's around 30% commission for the order. Most takeaway restaurants hate just eat and would do away with it if they could. So a lot have their own apps.

That's not true, some areas have dedicated just eat drivers
Jordan_Taylor04/04/2020 16:35

That's not true, some areas have dedicated just eat drivers

That's the way the takeaway restaurants up here did it. I did it for years in various shops I can assure you it's true. You will be thinking of deliveroo drivers that show up and pick a collection like they do in McDonald's for example. And as you said "some"
From what I recall from recent enquiries to ubereats, Deliveroo and just eat below is a rough breakdown...
Uber eats - 30% of total order, they also charge the customers a delivery fee OR 13% of total order if you use your own drivers
Deliveroo - 30% + VAT of the total order OR 14% (reduced to 12% if you DONT use uber eats) of total order if you use your own drivers
Just eat - 27% inclusive of VAT of the total order - 12% if you use your own drivers.

However, from experience of my own restaurant, we initially tried using our own delivery drivers, the main problems is retaining the drivers, having multiple orders at one time in different areas (of a 8mile radius), need for multiple drivers to ensure efficient delivery(but then has higher running costs.)

I tried 3 different pay models for my own delivery drivers -
1. £20 per weekday (5.5hr days) plus £3 for deliveries up to 4 miles, £4 for up to 6 miles, £5 up to 8 miles
£30 per weekday (5.5hr days) plus £2 for deliveries up to 4 miles, £3 for up to 6 miles, £4 up to 8 miles
2. Flat rate £5 per delivery, and only available for orders over £25
3. Same as option 1 but flat delivery rate of £4 for all orders up to 8miles.

Heads up I also tried contacting local taxi firms to see if I could make an agreement with them, but most drivers were reluctant deliver food as it would smell up their cars.

In the end I just ended up lumping it and using ubereats drivers.

P.S we are predominately a dine in restaurant, but we still get on average 12 takeaway or delivery orders per day, obviously this has significantly increase now as we are not a dine in restaurant during the current crisis, and only operate contactless takeaway collections and Uber Eats orders.

I also still continually try to promote more collection take away orders by offering incentives (discounts, free drink on arrival or as takeaway, most popular one being spend £75 get 10% discount and a free bottle of wine)
Also small side note, when we recently had a just eat representive visit us, apparently just eat are looking to merge/takeover Deliveroo, and as a result they will be offering new customer incentives. Just eat also charge a sign up fee of £399 +VAT for new businesses. Uber eats and Deliveroo do not charge any upfront costs. All of them also send out free photographers to take photos of your food items (from what I recall up to 5 items).

Just eat allow you to have different prices than your actual menu (most restaraunts increase their prices on it to account for the cost of using the service)
Uber eats and Deliveroo do not allow you to do this.
Edited by: "Jay91" 7th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions