Found 2nd Jun 2009
OK,i`m pretty green at this BBQ thing,I have bough a gas bbq and someone told me that I need lavarock for it,on the other hand I have been told not to use anything on a gas burner,which one do you folks recommend,who should I listen to.

1. Misc
  2. BBQ
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. BBQ
6 Comments

i'm on my 3rd gas barbeque and always use lava rock .You can get it from b+q and most stores .

we always use lava rock but my sis got a new bbq and there is nowhere to put it

ettam123;5375930

we always use lava rock but my sis got a new bbq and there is nowhere to … we always use lava rock but my sis got a new bbq and there is nowhere to put it

It depends on the BBQ. Some of the 'free flame' gas BBQ (a burner and a grill) will not have the tray for the lavarock. Essentially the lavarock enhances the smoked flavour as it keeps the heat and absorbs the fat drips - upping the smoke - obviously free flames dont do this and personally I do not thing they give a great BBQ flavour to the food. Just my opinion.

If you can get them, soak some hickory chips in water overnight and spread over the lavarock for really good flavour.

I tend to replace the lavarock every couple of seasons - bearing in mind the limited use they sometimes get.

my first gas bbq needed lava rock my second didnt
if your bbq didnt come with lava rock chances are you dont need it

dcx_badass;5376065

Might aswell just use your oven or gas rings inside if you're going to … Might aswell just use your oven or gas rings inside if you're going to get a gas bbq.

Lol, why so?

Apart from not having to mess about trying to light the damn thing for an hour, it cooks the exact same way as the old school non-gas BBQs do.
(Except for the fact that the food doesn't smell of gasoline anymore)

if it needs it it will come with it, if it does it doesnt :thumbsup:

it just helps distribute the heat evenly - My didnt come with it but Im adding a mesh and putting some in as without some parks of the food are just getting burnty by the direct flame
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…47104
    2. What do you see?2836
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604807
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322860

See more discussions