Using Mic On Java Minecraft

Posted 10th Jul
What’s a good application to allow kids to talk to each other whilst playing Minecraft (ones upstairs, the other downstairs and shouting across to each other is annoying).

Emphasising the kids part, so something safe where they can only talk to each other. I’ve read about Discord. Is that safe?
What other programs are there? Why can’t you just do it from within the game?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Depending on their age

Discord is great but if they are very young it’ll be difficult for them to setup and get the hang of it, so you would have to do it for them

Skype is very easy, only add each other and very simple call and hang up buttons

Depending on their age, if they have mobiles and have unlimited minutes, they could ring each other. If they don’t but they do have mobiles, they can call each other on WhatsApp voice call (uses WiFi) and put it on speaker so they can hear each other.

There are a few other programmes but again depends on their age, most pre-teens are more tech savvy whilst others are not
Also Minecraft doesn’t have in game voice chat and probably never will. The game is played by all age groups, a lot of teenagers and even adults, it’s a universal game but as the older generation leave and more kids join it, there’s still a danger aspect. If they ever joined an online lobby or someone got into their game and had a mic, bullying and harassment would be a big issue. Not to mention if there were creepy adults talking to children online in game lobby’s seen as the game is now more targeted towards a younger audience whereas before it was aimed at the teen/young adult market
Install the xbox companion app, you don't need an xbox just a Microsoft account, my son uses it to talk to people on xbox, pc and an ipad all at the same time.
aMagicalPotato10/07/2020 22:48

Depending on their ageDiscord is great but if they are very young it’ll be …Depending on their ageDiscord is great but if they are very young it’ll be difficult for them to setup and get the hang of it, so you would have to do it for themSkype is very easy, only add each other and very simple call and hang up buttonsDepending on their age, if they have mobiles and have unlimited minutes, they could ring each other. If they don’t but they do have mobiles, they can call each other on WhatsApp voice call (uses WiFi) and put it on speaker so they can hear each other.There are a few other programmes but again depends on their age, most pre-teens are more tech savvy whilst others are not

I can set Discord up for them. They’re pretty good at stuff like that anyway and could do it without me. Just concerned about things like privacy. Don’t want some bozo listening in on them or anything like that. Is it safe data wise? Is it encrypted?

I suggested the phone idea to them, but they absolutely insist that it must be over their brand new headsets, unsurprisingly.

Does it then work in the background? Can still hear the game audio itself clearly?
Edited by: "PAISAL" 11th Jul
I would say ease of use goes to Skype, much much easier.

However my personal opinion is that Discord is better. Uses less CPU and RAM whereas Skype is hit and miss.

Both are safe but Discord is better, Skype is essentially just a phone on your computer (phone as in call function) but discord creates a dedicated server for one on one calls so to me it’s more secure.

You can directly call like on Skype or just create a “server” with both kids in it (server is just a fancy work for group chat but just them in it) and maybe add yourself into the server on your phone so you can always monitor messages and join in the call if needed.

And yeah they’ll be able to hear the call and the game! Discord was essentially designed for gamers as it uses less resources than Skype and others. There’s a bunch of overlay settings on Discord!

My advice is to download it on a computer and check out the settings etc and familiarise yourself with it before you download it for them. You’ll probably get the hang of it within 10 minutes and learn more complex stuff the more you mess around with it!

Hope my 3am ramble helps somewhat!
They can even set up Hotkeys for talking to each other.

As in;

They can set their mics to always be on just like a phone call or they can set up “push to talk” so their mics only activate on discord when they push their chosen key (hockey), which works in game too.

It’s different to the in game voice chat. For example if you were playing call of duty and you didn’t have open mic on and instead you had push to talk on and your hot key was the letter Y on the keyboard. You would have to hold down that key to speak to teammates in the game. But if you didn’t want to talk to other people and couldn’t be bothered to disable your microphone in the game settings. You could just set your hot key on discord to something else that isn’t used in the game like the letter i and that way if you were in game but wanted to speak to your friend on discord you can just press and hold the letter i until you finish speaking. It won’t interfere with the game unless the game has that same letter as a key bind for something like throwing a grenade etc..

Basically it’s heavily customisable and very intuitive, just take 30 minutes to play around with it and watch some YouTube videos if you get stuck, PLENTY of helpful vids on YouTube
Might be easier and safer from a security perspective. Think about using mumble. You run a server on one pc really simple just click start and then the other pc connects and it just works. The voice would be going from one pc to another not anywhere else. Discord for example would not be this way
benkey0111/07/2020 19:37

Might be easier and safer from a security perspective. Think about using …Might be easier and safer from a security perspective. Think about using mumble. You run a server on one pc really simple just click start and then the other pc connects and it just works. The voice would be going from one pc to another not anywhere else. Discord for example would not be this way

That sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks for that. I’ll download it and have a play around.
PAISAL11/07/2020 00:12

I can set Discord up for them. They’re pretty good at stuff like that a …I can set Discord up for them. They’re pretty good at stuff like that anyway and could do it without me. Just concerned about things like privacy. Don’t want some bozo listening in on them or anything like that. Is it safe data wise? Is it encrypted?I suggested the phone idea to them, but they absolutely insist that it must be over their brand new headsets, unsurprisingly. Does it then work in the background? Can still hear the game audio itself clearly?

There won't be anyone listening to them unless they're in a Discord server. If they add each other they can talk between themselves. If you're aware of Skype then it's almost very identical on how it is designed.
Edited by: "Birb" 11th Jul
PAISAL11/07/2020 20:49

That sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks for that. I’ll download it a …That sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks for that. I’ll download it and have a play around.

No worries. I use it in house to play csgo apart from the other benefits I find it less laggy as its not going out to the Internet. Let me know if you need any help
Post a comment
@
    Text