Using old routet as a wifi repeater

Found 18th Feb
hi there guys I have tried to use a old router as a wifi extender using this guide. google.co.uk/amp…amp

but it seems it has just broke the router which I'm using as a slave router. when I have changed the ip address and router resets it doesn't work and I can't access it either using the new ip address I have given it I have tried this with 2 different routers a sky one and a talk talk one which was a Huawei hg633 both I can't access them know trying to locate the ip address through The LAN shows there's no ip address anyway to fix these issues know don't want nackered anymore routers got a couple more to try though.
Community Updates
AskElectronics
12 Comments
Mod
The IP address you are assigning it, is it on the same subnet? i.e. are the first three sections the same with only the last being different like 192.168.0.X ?

As an example:
Main Router - 192.168.0.1
2nd WiFi AP - 192.168.0.2
Original Poster
Actually I can just reset the router and try again but it's not working any help on how I can get this to work as a wifi repeater or any other better easier guide to follow
Original Poster
BeerDrinker16 m ago

The IP address you are assigning it, is it on the same subnet? i.e. are …The IP address you are assigning it, is it on the same subnet? i.e. are the first three sections the same with only the last being different like 192.168.0.X ?As an example:Main Router - 192.168.0.12nd WiFi AP - 192.168.0.2

Yes that's correct but the ip address just disappears after router reboots and I can't connect to the router page after this.
Make sure both devices DO NOT have DHCP switched on.
RT(F)M for putting the router in Bridging mode. Especially if its Linksys
Original Poster
ccnp53 m ago

RT(F)M for putting the router in Bridging mode. Especially if its Linksys

No one is sky router and one isa huweai hg something as mentioned above
If you know anyone with the old virgin dir615 routers, u can flash dd-wrt custom firmware on and set them up as a wireless repeater, using their guides, pretty easily.
Or any other router that is dd-wrt compatible should work.
I wouldn't recommend trying to setup additional routers through the LAN. I would use a PC that is disconnected from the main network to put the settings in else you will probably get conflicts. Once you sorted the settings out you can reconnect it.
kester7618th Feb

I wouldn't recommend trying to setup additional routers through the LAN. I …I wouldn't recommend trying to setup additional routers through the LAN. I would use a PC that is disconnected from the main network to put the settings in else you will probably get conflicts. Once you sorted the settings out you can reconnect it.

or he could even try one of those new fangled portable thingies,, laptops i think they call them
as has been said, use a pc or laptop and have a little network with only that and the router you want to configure rules:

1. both (routers) must have ip addresses that only differ on the last number
2. both must have matching subnet masks
3 only one may have dhcp enabled
4 the address assigned to these must fall outside of the range allocated for dhcp pool.
5 you may want to separate the wifi channel numbers to minimise them interfering with each others wifi signal

once this configuration is achieved, turn all network devices off then connect and power up the routers wait a min then test if all is good you can start turning your other devices on one by one, if not go back and start at step one.
Original Poster
maddogb19 h, 34 m ago

as has been said, use a pc or laptop and have a little network with only …as has been said, use a pc or laptop and have a little network with only that and the router you want to configure rules:1. both (routers) must have ip addresses that only differ on the last number2. both must have matching subnet masks3 only one may have dhcp enabled4 the address assigned to these must fall outside of the range allocated for dhcp pool.5 you may want to separate the wifi channel numbers to minimise them interfering with each others wifi signalonce this configuration is achieved, turn all network devices off then connect and power up the routers wait a min then test if all is good you can start turning your other devices on one by one, if not go back and start at step one.

Can you explain a little further what number 4 means I just can't seem to get it to work after setting it all up the internet stops working altogether when I turn the second router on after doing the steps in the above link.
Edited by: "MynameisM" 20th Feb
MynameisM14 h, 39 m ago

Can you explain a little further what number 4 means I just can't seem to …Can you explain a little further what number 4 means I just can't seem to get it to work after setting it all up the internet stops working altogether when I turn the second router on after doing the steps in the above link.

MynameisM14 h, 39 m ago

Can you explain a little further what number 4 means I just can't seem to …Can you explain a little further what number 4 means I just can't seem to get it to work after setting it all up the internet stops working altogether when I turn the second router on after doing the steps in the above link.

first of all its important to know which mode you are going for here, repeater or bridge?, i really can't recommend taking this approach for a repeater. but to answer you question.

the router that is designated the dhcp server (this is usually just under "local network" and "dhcp") will have a pool of addresses to give out to clients, the addresses you program in manually must be out side of this range, so if the dhcp pool is 192.168.1.64 -192.168.1.128 so you could give your wifi repeater .129 but not .127
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants