Using phones GPS with the Fitbit or Garmin app

Posted 28th May 2020
Hi.
Is it possible to download the Fitbit or Garmin app to your phone (as you do in order to use the watch) and switch on the phone's GPS and have that GPS record the route to the phone's Fitbit or Garmin app?
Fitbit and Garmin watches' battery life isn't great with GPS use. I'm hoping I could wear the watch to track my daily activities, but when I do day long hikes, I could have my phone's GPS record the route and have that added my Fitbit or Garmin app account.
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
I don’t think so (I use Garmin) as the apps are more the data storage and analysts points rather than the collection points.

If using your phones gps is what you want to do I’d recommend Using map my walk on your phone and then pulling the data through to the apps from there mapmywalk.com/. (Although what will become the point of having your fitness tracker?)
My tracker watch will record my steps taken, sleep patterns, hr, and the odd GPS recorded walking route.
It is for when I walk for 10 hours at a time, and when the watches battery won't last 10 hours with GPS on, that I would like to fall back on my phone's GPS but have it uploaded to my Fitbit or Garmin app, so it is added to the rest of my recorded metrics.
Recommendation - You could use Strava on your phone to log your longer activity as you wish to, and then the Garmin app for day to day bits. The Garmin app can sync to Strava - so you'd have all your data in Strava plus your day to day stuff in the Garmin Connect app.

Alternative #1 - Why not pickup a lower priced Garmin such as the Forerunner 35 (£90-£100 new on eBay) and use this when the battery on your main one dies? I find the battery life on mine is great, but still early days. As a lower priced device like that is more basic I'd guess there's less battery drain(?)

Alternative #2 - I'm wondering if your watch in your bag with a powerbank attached would work on your hikes to prolong life? More weight though and not visible to you unless outside of your main bag via the charging cord somehow (would be a bit awkward I'd guess!).
Edited by: "morgie" 29th May
morgie29/05/2020 09:48

Recommendation - You could use Strava on your phone to log your longer …Recommendation - You could use Strava on your phone to log your longer activity as you wish to, and then the Garmin app for day to day bits. The Garmin app can sync to Strava - so you'd have all your data in Strava plus your day to day stuff in the Garmin Connect app.Alternative #1 - Why not pickup a lower priced Garmin such as the Forerunner 35 (£90-£100 new on eBay) and use this when the battery on your main one dies? I find the battery life on mine is great, but still early days. As a lower priced device like that is more basic I'd guess there's less battery drain(?)Alternative #2 - I'm wondering if your watch in your bag with a powerbank attached would work on your hikes to prolong life? More weight though and not visible to you unless outside of your main bag via the charging cord somehow (would be a bit awkward I'd guess!).

Does strava track Hikes/walks seperatly now? The reason I changed to UnderArmor (MapMy...) was Strava was skewing my data previously as mergine runs and walks. Good to know if it's better now though?
A clarification to what I've said above, Strava would only contain your recorded activity (whether initiated on your phone or Garmin), it wouldn't record your daily steps etc like Garmin will.

jakeyjakey29/05/2020 10:08

Does strava track Hikes/walks seperatly now? The reason I changed to …Does strava track Hikes/walks seperatly now? The reason I changed to UnderArmor (MapMy...) was Strava was skewing my data previously as mergine runs and walks. Good to know if it's better now though?

The Strava app seems to have a lot of options for activity type including 'walk' and 'hike'.
Edited by: "morgie" 29th May
Post a comment
@
    Text