Using separate router with Sky fibre, keeping Sky 102 as modem?

Found 23rd Mar 2016
Hi, was looking at a deal on here for an Asus router, but getting conflicting info on whether I cna connect this to a Sky SR102 fibre broadband via ethernet, switch off the wifi on the sky box and use the Asus for wifi? Can anyone give me a definitive answer (and preferably a n00b's guide to doing it )?

Thanks
Community Updates
7 Comments
hey first post....i do not know if this is of any use but until you get a few more responses, it may be useful to explore....it starts to get a bit more informative a little way down the page...good luck....

forums.digitalspy.co.uk/sho…381
According to this thread:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-router/54983-sky-hub-sr102-modem-mode.html

Yes, it's possible to do. You need to set the router to modem only mode, then plug the Asus in and use that as your router.
Seems like you need the latest firmware though.
Yes you can. I've got SR102 connected to an Asus AC87U router.
Thanks everyone. Thinking about going for this you see hotukdeals.com/dea…358 but don't want to if it won't ork. Is it hard to set up??
On the assumption that you're with Sky Broadband and will be using their SR102 as the modem, you can buy and connect any wireless router (ones without a built-in modem) to the SR102 for your WiFi set up.
It only becomes a problem if you have a separate OpenReach modem and want to ditch the Sky SR modem as Sky authenticate with MER (which is based on the MAC address of the router).
Edited by: "pothole" 23rd Mar 2016
pothole

On the assumption that you're with Sky Broadband and will be using their … On the assumption that you're with Sky Broadband and will be using their SR102 as the modem, you can buy and connect any wireless router (ones without a built-in modem) to the SR102 for your WiFi set up. It only becomes a problem if you have a separate OpenReach modem and want to ditch the Sky SR modem as Sky authenticate with MER (which is based on the MAC address of the router).

I'm with Sky's basic 40mb fibre broadband service so will keep the SR102 as the modem and use the Asus for wifi

Ok im a dummy where this is concerned so can anyone help with improving my wifi connection as my sky router is getting the full 40mb i expect but my wifi speeds are below 10mb. TIA. X
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions