Expired

Using small electricity providers, what has your experience been like?

Found 23rd Jun
I am with Eon and the plan that I was on came to an end about a month ago. They were reasonably priced compared to other providers until recently. They have been very good as a provider. I was with Npower and spent ages on the phone chasing money owed to me when I left, and that is not something I want to repeat.

With that in mind, what are people's experiences of small electricity providers. The cheapest tariffs for me, circa 2200 kwh per annum usage, is with small providers I haven't heard of.

It seems I can save £160 a year with the cheapest one, but they run some kind of odd membership scheme and the prices fluctuate, so I'm wary of that. There is another one above that with largely mediocre reviews. I don't want my electricity to be stuck in limbo and to have to chase providers giving me the mess around.

I would rather save less money, say £100 per annum over Eon, and not be messed around. So, I'm just wondering what advice people here could offer about their experience with smaller providers and getting a bargain without hassle.

By the way, if anyone is thinking of trying Ebico, they have been excellent both price and service wise for my gas, so I can recommend them.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
I looked for ages before changing mine, I decided on tonik in the end as they were the cheapest at the time but also offered some good benefits (such as 3% interest if in credit). I don't think they were on any of the main comparison sites: tonikenergy.com
delusion5 m ago

I looked for ages before changing mine, I decided on tonik in the end as …I looked for ages before changing mine, I decided on tonik in the end as they were the cheapest at the time but also offered some good benefits (such as 3% interest if in credit). I don't think they were on any of the main comparison sites: https://www.tonikenergy.com

Just moved to Tonik earlier this year. Was with GBenergy who were very good customer service wise until whey went bust and cooperative energy took them over.
Bulb
Been with Ebico for 6 yrs and never had a problem.
Was with gb energy then went to coop energy, now with ovo who pay 3% interest on any credit
The small guys have to start somewhere and you might get one bad company but you will always see many more good ones. The problems seem to be when companies start and offer ultra cheap deals and then can’t manage the number of customers.

Think about bout how many times you call a company, I haven’t in 10 years so as long as their billing process works and you can transfer to and from them that’s what matters to us.

We have been with small companies for about 15 years never had a problem but have avoided the ultra cheap companies and have seen the issues with them I mentioned.

Prior to using the small companies we had billing issues with Scottish and SEE.

The gas and electric is same so why pay a fortune more just because it’s a big name.
I am also looking at these new smaller suppliers for my electricity .Has any one tried "out fox the market" where you pay a membership fee depending on your usage (instead of a standing charge)and then they claim to find the cheapest supply at the time but it is not fixed pricing.
that is the one i was looking at, simon. however in the space of a month it has changed from cheapest for me, to second cheapest. there are a number of reviews complaining about the 'membership fee' and how it can go up over time.

for what it is worth, i think i'm gonna go with igloo. they are not the cheapest by about £50 per year for me, but the excellent reviews compared to the others has swayed me.

i just don't have the time and the energy to waste chasing £50 a year if something goes awry, as it often does with energy.
Ok, I'm missing something here!!

I pay Sainsbury Energy (BG) £65 a month and I'm £400 in credit.

Just checked Tonik and they say they'll save me £197 a year (I've entered my usage) but they also want £65 a month???? Where the saving?
steve12211 h, 2 m ago

Ok, I'm missing something here!!I pay Sainsbury Energy (BG) £65 a month …Ok, I'm missing something here!!I pay Sainsbury Energy (BG) £65 a month and I'm £400 in credit.Just checked Tonik and they say they'll save me £197 a year (I've entered my usage) but they also want £65 a month???? Where the saving?

Check the details you entered for your current deal with Sainsbury's - also if the current deal expires in the next 12 months the comparison site assumes you will switch to Sainbury's standard tarif for the remainer of the 12 months.
Van19731 h, 47 m ago

Check the details you entered for your current deal with Sainsbury's - …Check the details you entered for your current deal with Sainsbury's - also if the current deal expires in the next 12 months the comparison site assumes you will switch to Sainbury's standard tarif for the remainer of the 12 months.

Thanks, but I'm not using a comparison site. I'm entering the info on the Tonik site?
steve122118 h, 39 m ago

Thanks, but I'm not using a comparison site. I'm entering the info on the …Thanks, but I'm not using a comparison site. I'm entering the info on the Tonik site?

Compare the tarrifs yourself. Does the tarrif you are currently on still exist, or does it expire soon and then increase?

I just checked sainsburys and they are £35 a month more expensive for me than tonik (I have high usage).
Edited by: "delusion" 25th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants