Using the Sky+HD box after leaving Sky

Found 22nd Jan
I am in the process of leaving Sky and currently have the Sky+HD box and satellite dish that I get my tv through. Sky have told me that I can keep the box and dish after I leave them as they are now mine. I was also told that I could continue to watch some freeview channels through the box. However, I'm still confused about this - how does that work then? Will the freeview channels come through the satellite dish still and do I still use the Sky remote to get the channels? I don't have an outdoor aerial in my sitting room at all, so was hoping that the freeview channels would come through the dish still. If this is not the case, can somebody explain as to how I can continue to use the Sky+HD box to view freeview channels once I have left Sky? Thank you.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments
Yes ,the freeview channels will still come through your dish/box . However you will no longer be able to pause ,record or save them and you will be unable to view any previously recorded (on your box) programmes .
Your current setup will continue to work, just without premium Sky channels.
You would just use your sky box as normal to view the freesat channels. No outdoor aerial required. You’ll still need your viewing card.
Every time you accidentally press pause or any non-free button expect a begging call from sky the next day. Its pathetic the way the hound you for your custom once you leave
Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice. Relieved that I don't need to have an outdoor aerial installed.
you can test that now by taking the card out of your box and then select the freeview channels. you should see them on your tv, but if you select the sky channels then you will get a message to say that you need to subscribe.
Original Poster
mutley130 m ago

you can test that now by taking the card out of your box and then select …you can test that now by taking the card out of your box and then select the freeview channels. you should see them on your tv, but if you select the sky channels then you will get a message to say that you need to subscribe.

Won't that mess by box up if I did it now? Wouldn't it need to be reset or reprogrammed if I take the card out?
Sophiasky35 m ago

Won't that mess by box up if I did it now? Wouldn't it need to be reset or …Won't that mess by box up if I did it now? Wouldn't it need to be reset or reprogrammed if I take the card out?

No just push your card back in when your done
Sophiasky2 h, 46 m ago

Won't that mess by box up if I did it now? Wouldn't it need to be reset or …Won't that mess by box up if I did it now? Wouldn't it need to be reset or reprogrammed if I take the card out?

I never had Sky, bought a sky HD box for a tenner on the facebook. Works fine as a freesat.The annoying thing is that you can't delete the channels that you won't be able to watch.
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 22nd Jan
been with sky for 5 years. i left this year the box works as a free-view box (but you still have all the sky channels that you cannot view between the freeview channels) sad think is sky said after the year the box is mines and not owned by sky. so why do they have the right to block recording FreeView channels. and says i need to activate sky to use this. lol

oo wait the TV have freesat and can record on it lol. but kinda stupid they say the box is yours to keep and use but cannot use the record freeview channels.
Sophiasky2 h, 31 m ago

nope. i have a curious mind so i am always doing things to see what would happen, and so i took the card out to see if the box would still work and whether i could get any channels, and hey presto, it worked.

i then put back the card and everything is back to normal

you will lose the series link and planner facility without your card/subscription.
Original Poster
mutley15 m ago

nope. i have a curious mind so i am always doing things to see what would …nope. i have a curious mind so i am always doing things to see what would happen, and so i took the card out to see if the box would still work and whether i could get any channels, and hey presto, it worked.i then put back the card and everything is back to normal you will lose the series link and planner facility without your card/subscription.

Thank you for letting me know.
Original Poster
gcmarcal2 h, 1 m ago

I never had Sky, bought I sky HD box on for a tenner on the facebook. …I never had Sky, bought I sky HD box on for a tenner on the facebook. Works fine as a freesat. they annoying thing is that you can't delete the channels that you won't be able to watch.

That's a bit annoying.
Sophiasky8 m ago

That's a bit annoying.

no, is very annoying. You can try to put all freesat channels on your favourites. But it only holds 50 channels
Original Poster
djmackie200032 m ago

been with sky for 5 years. i left this year the box works as a free-view …been with sky for 5 years. i left this year the box works as a free-view box (but you still have all the sky channels that you cannot view between the freeview channels) sad think is sky said after the year the box is mines and not owned by sky. so why do they have the right to block recording FreeView channels. and says i need to activate sky to use this. loloo wait the TV have freesat and can record on it lol. but kinda stupid they say the box is yours to keep and use but cannot use the record freeview channels.

I'm currently leaving Sky - have been paying £62.60 a month for tv, internet and phone. I have been looking at other internet providers and will probably join Plusnet for £23.99 a month, unlimited fibre (18 months). I have an Amazon Firestick and two Now TV boxes here, so will use a combination of the three when I change over - Sky box, Amazon Firestick and Now TV. I currently have a few free and cheap Now TV passes for Entertainment but will need to take out a Kid's Pass so that my 10 year old can watch programmes that he wants to - the only channel that he will miss out on is Disney X D which isn't covered. If I pay full-price per month for an Entertainment Pass and a Kid's Pass, that is just under £11 a month, however, there are deals whereby you can get the passes free/or cheaper than buying direct from Now TV. Hoping to get the monthly passes for around £6 a month, so that would make my total outlay about £30 a month, instead of £62.60 that I was paying with Sky!
Original Poster
gcmarcal5 m ago

no, is very annoying. You can try to put all freesat channels on your …no, is very annoying. You can try to put all freesat channels on your favourites. But it only holds 50 channels

I've never actually done that, but my son has added a few. If the Sky are still included in the list, I'll select as many as I can to add to the favourite list and then have to search for anything else I suppose. Do the Sky channels show up as a different colour - greyed out perhaps? That might help a bit I suppose.
Sophiasky19 m ago

I'm currently leaving Sky - have been paying £62.60 a month for tv, …I'm currently leaving Sky - have been paying £62.60 a month for tv, internet and phone. I have been looking at other internet providers and will probably join Plusnet for £23.99 a month, unlimited fibre (18 months). I have an Amazon Firestick and two Now TV boxes here, so will use a combination of the three when I change over - Sky box, Amazon Firestick and Now TV. I currently have a few free and cheap Now TV passes for Entertainment but will need to take out a Kid's Pass so that my 10 year old can watch programmes that he wants to - the only channel that he will miss out on is Disney X D which isn't covered. If I pay full-price per month for an Entertainment Pass and a Kid's Pass, that is just under £11 a month, however, there are deals whereby you can get the passes free/or cheaper than buying direct from Now TV. Hoping to get the monthly passes for around £6 a month, so that would make my total outlay about £30 a month, instead of £62.60 that I was paying with Sky!

well i have freeview/freesat with catchup, a free Now TV account (movies and TV show, from my father inlaw as he uses my sports i get from BT). and some websites. i have not watched live TV in about 2 months. and now thinking I can cancel my TV Licence. as i will mainly watch nowTV/catchup stuff (not live stream and not BBC player)

the only bit that confused me. it says if i use ANY catchup TV i need to pay. but i thought it was only for BBC. so not sure if this is a scar attic or what. i have not watched BBC in many years.

I have BT broadband and phone £25 a month (think i got around £100-180 voucher) 2x BT sim only deals (20GB) £15 a month (ended up costing me nothing as got £100 vouchers and £80 cash back)
Edited by: "djmackie2000" 22nd Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants