Using Vodafone PAYG sim - Purely to obtain unlock code for locked iPhone

Found 3rd Aug
A family member has purchased an Apple iPhone 5s and realised it is network locked to Vodafone.

I believe that it can be unlocked by using a Vodafone PAYG sim card in it for a minimum of 30 days.

Has anyone done this before? - I assume you need to top-up the PAYG sim in order for this to work? - What is the minimum that you can use to top it up with ?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
No you do NOT need to top up. I have unlocked 2 iPhones. It says the mobile should receive or and make calls.
So you make sure you ring it and make calls without topping up. That way the sim is activated
Fantastic! - Thank you. So just make a call every few days to the Vodafone sim and then after 30 days we can request the unlock code free of charge ?
Ebay sellers will do it for less than a tenner and only a 3 day wait if you want to go that way. I had a new iPhone 8 done this way with no issues
Thanks. I heard that Iphones can only be truly unlocked by the network provider and unlocking through eBay isn't a permanent solution and they can re-lock with some software upgrades ? - I'm not sure if this is true, but have seen it mentioned.

I don't mind waiting to get it done through Vodafone - There is no rush.
happymanuk36 m ago

Thanks. I heard that Iphones can only be truly unlocked by the network …Thanks. I heard that Iphones can only be truly unlocked by the network provider and unlocking through eBay isn't a permanent solution and they can re-lock with some software upgrades ? - I'm not sure if this is true, but have seen it mentioned.I don't mind waiting to get it done through Vodafone - There is no rush.

Yeah it’s permanent they unlock using apples servers and once it’s done it’s done. If you can wait the you should wait but the Ebay route is there and it’s not true that they can relock
happymanuk2 h, 38 m ago

Thanks. I heard that Iphones can only be truly unlocked by the network …Thanks. I heard that Iphones can only be truly unlocked by the network provider and unlocking through eBay isn't a permanent solution and they can re-lock with some software upgrades ? - I'm not sure if this is true, but have seen it mentioned.I don't mind waiting to get it done through Vodafone - There is no rush.

My son had the same problem and since last December only Vodafone can unlock the phone after 30 days.
If it's a new phone put a 3 sim in it before any other and it wont lock
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants