Groups

Using Windows Vista 32Bit with 4GB ram

I've read that Windows Vista 32 will not utilise the full 4GB....but will it still work ??

21 Comments

xp will only see about 3.5gb

as above, it will work fine, but only use 3.5 gig.
    if you want it to see more you will need the 64bit version of windows

...And when you switch to the 64 bit ver you'll find that you can't get drivers for some of your hardware....

Original Poster

wickedteen;6406551

xp will only see about 3.5gb

Babbabooey;6406563

as above, it will work fine, but only use 3.5 gig.if you want it to see … as above, it will work fine, but only use 3.5 gig.if you want it to see more you will need the 64bit version of windows

So it will have no problem booting?

i.e. I'm orderin a laptop with 4GB ram..but I am opting for XP32 instead of the recommended XP64 ..because of compatibility issues with some of my software....

but the website is scaring me and saying I REQUIRE XP64 for it to work properly. True?

it depends on what cpu you go for

no problem booting it whatsoever. It will run great.

If its dual channel you can only use 3gb if you have 4 slots.

2 - 1gb + 2 512mb = 3gb

you CAN make XP (and Vista) see and use up to 4GB instead of the 3.something that it can

1) Access cmd: Click on the Start type cmd in the Search Bar > and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter (this allows you to run cmd in administrative mode)

2) Type BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable

“BCDEdit is a boot configuration editor for the command line. Using the above command you’ve just enabled Physical Address Extension (PAE) which can address memory larger than 4 GB. Physical Address Extension (PAE) which can address memory larger than 4 GB.

Original Poster

OH sugar. Too much reading and confusing myself. I'm ordering Vista 32 instead of Vista 64. Scrap all that XP stuff. Its a Core 2 Duo T6500.

Issue One;6406634

OH sugar. Too much reading and confusing myself. I'm ordering Vista 32 … OH sugar. Too much reading and confusing myself. I'm ordering Vista 32 instead of Vista 64. Scrap all that XP stuff. Its a Core 2 Duo T6500.

It will work fine with 4gb in 32bit vista or XP,Dont worry about it, :thumbsup:

tonyg1962;6406652

It will work fine with 4gb in 32bit vista or XP,Dont worry about it, … It will work fine with 4gb in 32bit vista or XP,Dont worry about it, :thumbsup:

Oh no it wont mate :roll:

kjbenja;6406670

Oh no it wont mate :roll:

Windows 32bit can only address 3.5gb including graphics memory but everyone is just confusing the OP,If he has 4gb in his machine with 32bit windows his machine will work fine,

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6406711

Don't buy Vista now when Windows 7 is about to be released!!!!!

It's alright...comes with a Free Upgrade to 7!!!

The original question was

"I've read that Windows Vista 32 will not utilise the full 4GB....but will it still work "

The simple answer is Yes, it will.

I have Vista 32 bit and 4gb RAM and it works brilliantly.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/numbnutz/images/Hardware/RAM.jpg

Whilst I cannot utilise the full 4gb of RAM, it makes a big difference as I can now tab in/out of games without loads of disc thrashing.

Q-Tec;6406800

The original question was"I've read that Windows Vista 32 will not … The original question was"I've read that Windows Vista 32 will not utilise the full 4GB....but will it still work "The simple answer is Yes, it will.I have Vista 32 bit and 4gb RAM and it works brilliantly.Whilst I cannot utilise the full 4gb of RAM, it makes a big difference as I can now tab in/out of games without loads of disc thrashing.

Running a 32bit vista premium setup here also with 4gb, works no problems. :thumbsup:

steve1221;6406577

...And when you switch to the 64 bit ver you'll find that you can't get … ...And when you switch to the 64 bit ver you'll find that you can't get drivers for some of your hardware....

That was the same when they went from 16bit to 32bit - Gradually 64bit will become the norm

Still running XP64 dual booting with vista32. TBH there are only a couple of really old programs that need the 16bit emulation and I have never failed to find a 64-bit driver. Vista 64 has even more support so I would go with that one if you can live with vista. Remember if you get vista32 likely you will only be upgraded to win 7 32-bit.

Banned

it will work fine brah(used to have vista 32bit on my machine before upgrading to windows 7. but i use 64bit and i dont really have any computability issues

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm247/imranmaz/Capture-2.png

Install the 64bit version it should be on the same disk and your serial will still work with it.

You will not have any problems getting drivers for your hardware now unless its from the 1970s.

jallsey;6408205

Install the 64bit version it should be on the same disk and your serial … Install the 64bit version it should be on the same disk and your serial will still work with it.You will not have any problems getting drivers for your hardware now unless its from the 1970s.

Why so he can have half a GB ram that he will never notice is there,

Original Poster

Basically, my plan was to buy a machine with xp 64 bit, and 4mb ram...but incase I had compatibility issues I would be planning to do so. Anyway. I have done just that...thanks for all the input.

P.s. I believe Pro Tools LE/Mbox 2 is not compatible with 64 bit OS...and I don't think thats from the 1970s.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917266
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846200
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764296
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?31153

See more discussions