USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial

Found 20th Aug 2017Edited by:"Uranus"
So this is the ww2 ship that sank after it transported vital components for the atomic weapon that was dropped (a week later) on Hiroshima.

It's also the ship that is referenced by Quint in Jaws, due to many of it's crew being apparently killed by sharks.

There is mention in the article below and elsewhere that the wreckage may be used a war memorial.
I imagine the Japanese will likely have the same reaction to that as the Germans did to the statue/memorial of Bomber Harris.

So, should this controversial vessel be used a war memorial or not?

bbc.co.uk/new…326
Community Updates
Misc
17 Comments
None story, its just a war grave, they give them protected status to try to prevent looting thats all
Error4406 m ago

None story, its just a war grave, they give them protected status to try …None story, its just a war grave, they give them protected status to try to prevent looting thats all

this.

"Of the 1,196 men on board, just 316 were rescued - the largest loss of life at sea in the history of the US Navy."
They weren't and I quote " apparently killed by sharks" .
They floated in the water for days and were picked off one by one by the sharks.
Quite the most horrendous experience.
nothing to do with us. No discussion necessary
Predikuesi5 m ago

Do you find that's the best solution with most international debates?
I shouldn't think the Japanese will give two hoots. It isn't like they are going to raise it from the sea bed and park it on the front lawn of the White House
PTibbets15 m ago

Who is going to loot it?Its more than 5000 metres down! Thats 50% deeper …Who is going to loot it?Its more than 5000 metres down! Thats 50% deeper than the Titanic!

They got to that didn't they and started picking bits off like vultures, shoving them in auctions. If a wreck is famous enough for it to be profitable someone will try it eventually.
ThugBasher35 m ago

Do you find that's the best solution with most international debates?

Oh, I didn't realise that international authorities were debating this.
Predikuesi43 m ago

Oh, I didn't realise that international authorities were debating this.

Well you have manged to post a negative comment on quite a important piece of history.

Like you said

"Predikuesi:
nothing to do with us. No discussion necessary"

Best thing todo is to bury your head in the sand.
PTibbets21 m ago

No they didnt pick bits off like vultures & only one submarine got there & …No they didnt pick bits off like vultures & only one submarine got there & the expense was enormous & funded at a massive loss but they went there because of its importance not for profit (which they didnt make).

They nicked bits from the debris field around where it broke it half, they sold those bits at auction
nydailynews.com/new…774
Predikuesi3 h, 8 m ago

Don't bother commenting then.
It should be a memorial but to all that is bad about mankind and America.

When such events are discussed, the death and suffering of so many innocent Japanese people is so often forgotten.

The US could easily have dropped a bomb in the sea first to demonstrate the power that they had in order to make the Japanese think seriously about surrender.
reddit22 m ago

The US could easily have dropped a bomb in the sea first to demonstrate …The US could easily have dropped a bomb in the sea first to demonstrate the power that they had in order to make the Japanese think seriously about surrender.

This is something most people have probably not thought about. Myself included.
I'm really glad the United States will be able to lay its war dead to rest. Frankly the "cowardly and dastardly attack" on Pearl Harbour plus the atrocities committed by the Japanese army to Chinese civilians, POW's and thousands of women that were used as sex slaves saw the Japanese get what was coming. The use of the Atomic bomb is all that stopped the USSR from pushing across Europe.

GOD BLESS THE USA
reddit4 h, 25 m ago

The US could easily have dropped a bomb in the sea first to demonstrate …The US could easily have dropped a bomb in the sea first to demonstrate the power that they had in order to make the Japanese think seriously about surrender.

I'm not sure that would have worked as the Japanese didn't even surrender after the first bomb was dropped on Hiroshima.
reddit7 h, 37 m ago

It should be a memorial but to all that is bad about mankind and …It should be a memorial but to all that is bad about mankind and America.When such events are discussed, the death and suffering of so many innocent Japanese people is so often forgotten.The US could easily have dropped a bomb in the sea first to demonstrate the power that they had in order to make the Japanese think seriously about surrender.

When you say the US you mean the US and Commonwealth. Also it took two bombs on the population for Japan to surrender, they were fanatics during the war. They should of never been dropped but in a weird way they saved tens of millions of lives and even worse widespread destruction.

It's a moot point really, these sailors deaths or service don't deserve to be recognised because a team of people completely unrelated to them had them transport materials once?
reddit15 h, 18 m ago

It should be a memorial but to all that is bad about mankind and …It should be a memorial but to all that is bad about mankind and America.When such events are discussed, the death and suffering of so many innocent Japanese people is so often forgotten.The US could easily have dropped a bomb in the sea first to demonstrate the power that they had in order to make the Japanese think seriously about surrender.

They could have dropped it on a mountain, they didn't even choose a legit military target such as a navel port, they deliberately chose to drop it on a city of predominantly women, children and old people. Then they set up hospitals to monitor the long term affects of radiation, they offered no help, treatment would have impeded their research, they made them attend clinics and strip off for examination regularly until they died.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants