Utility Bills for First time buyer

Found 18th Nov 2017
Hi there. Anyone have any tips on how to best choose energy suppliers etc for first time buyers? Not sure who to go with to get best deal as never had these before

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments
OVO with a smart metre. Smart metre simply because every month it sends ovo your energy use any you only get billed each month for the energy used, I have chosen monthly as it saves getting a larger quarterly bill. Don't bother plugging in the crappy little smart metre that constantly tells you that your using to much energy, at the end of the day you still need to heat your home and boil the kettle. Ovo have no standing charge and just charge you let me of energy, around 13p for electric at the moment but that does depend on your area. One thing I do know is my bills are a good £20 a month cheaper than they were with other providers. My electric for example is just over £50 a month and less in summer months.
Just stick your usage figures (if you don't have any, ask any friends/colleagues/relatives who have a similar house and occupancy level as you) into a few comparison sites and pick a supplier. If you can't get useage figures, then just guess, the comparison sites allow you to give accurate figures or inaccurate ones. (For example, I pay £51 per month for gas & electricty, spread fairly evenly.)

On a personal note, I would not use British Gas or the Co-op again. I would suggest you stick to a fairly well known supplier like E-on or Scottish power, for your first year as being a first time buyer is stressful enough.
Picking an energy supplier is a lot like picking a car insurance company, no one can say go for company X they will be the best because everyone's usage and location is different. You just have to use comparison sites and see what's the best deal for yourself. The first year is a little tricky if you have no previous usage data for yourself, but most comparison sites let you select how many bedroom/how many people live in the property to get a good indication of usage.
POWYSWALES9 h, 42 m ago

OVO with a smart metre. Smart metre simply because every month it sends …OVO with a smart metre. Smart metre simply because every month it sends ovo your energy use any you only get billed each month for the energy used, I have chosen monthly as it saves getting a larger quarterly bill. Don't bother plugging in the crappy little smart metre that constantly tells you that your using to much energy, at the end of the day you still need to heat your home and boil the kettle. Ovo have no standing charge and just charge you let me of energy, around 13p for electric at the moment but that does depend on your area. One thing I do know is my bills are a good £20 a month cheaper than they were with other providers. My electric for example is just over £50 a month and less in summer months.

I was with Ovo a few years ago and found them really good and competitive. When I came to renew though, I found them to be one of the most expensive. Just checked now for my postcode and their standing charge is 28.77p per fuel per day and 14pkwh on electric. Do you know the name of your plan with no standing charge as I'd love to go back to Ovo?
+1 for OVO again. Very good customer service and clear pricing.

For changing every year to keep the price down, MSE Energy Club.
Don't restrict yourself to a supplier who will install/supply a smart meter, most, if not all, allow you to manage your account online, allowing you to submit meter readings monthly/forthnightly etc so your account is up to date so long as you submit the readings.

I fail to understand why anyone would allow an estimated bill to be produced when reading your own meter is very simple indeed.
Use uswitch.com - suggest you use figures of 3200 kWh for Electricity and 14,000 kWh for gas (assuming you have gas central heating) - these are approx the UK average.

Go with the cheapest quote with a fixed period of 12 months or more. It will likely be a company you have never heard of but that is not a problem.
Edited by: "Van1973" 19th Nov 2017
Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips! Really appreciated!
Ovo is great. I had them for a london property. Use uswitch first to get a comparison as i found ovo was not cheapest for all properties even in the same area. Tariff is very location and useage specific
Bulb energy came up as the cheapest for me via Uswitch and use 100% renewable energy.

Till tomorrow sign up through the following link for £100 credit.

Tried posting the £100 referral as a deal as it is a deal but mods wouldn’t let it.

join.bulb.co.uk/joi…688
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants