utorrent / talk talk / Get it right

Found 11th Jun 2017
Hi all

Received an email from my broadband provider regarding some... "sharing" specific data - see screenshot.

Was wondering has any of you had that before? How severe it is and should I invest in vpn?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Having problems attaching screenshot... Need to figure it out first

imgur.com/tt3…b7D
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Tbh I sure all they can do at this point is sent you letters (Im sure someone will be able to be more specific), but if you are torrenting, you should NEVER download without any protection. VPN up and try to use private trackers. If the Torries also get there stupid plan for the Internet, you need a VPN just to browse. I have been using a VPN for a good few years now, just to add some security when online.
Can't see screenshot.
However, a while ago I did this on BT without vpn, received no letters or anything.
Now I purchased a vpn (AirVPN, Very good..). My 76mb speed only drops to 74mb making my downloads continuing to be fast.
Also delete utorrent, and download Qbittorrent. Some ads on utorrent install malware. Qbittorrent has no ads or anything.
I have had 2 from virgin but since i have started using betternet vpn for google chrome ( other platforms available ) which is free and doesnt seem to slow things down i haven't received anymore
Im on Kcom Karoo in Hull and Ive been banned from downloading torrents in the past.Had to send in an apologetic letter and promise to be a good boy in future to get reinstated.They know what files you are downloading and if its copyrighted,bam your banned without warning.
Original Poster
DracUK

Im on Kcom Karoo in Hull and Ive been banned from downloading torrents in … Im on Kcom Karoo in Hull and Ive been banned from downloading torrents in the past.Had to send in an apologetic letter and promise to be a good boy in future to get reinstated.They know what files you are downloading and if its copyrighted,bam your banned without warning.

​Can you express what in this situation banning means? They shut down your Internet or what? Don't really understand what can they do apart from putting a fine / taking your electronic devices used to download content / imprisoning...
And here is my question again. Can they actually track me down and fine me? Or is it only to scare the **** out of me?
aroetem

Can you express what in this situation banning means? They shut down your … Can you express what in this situation banning means? They shut down your Internet or what? Don't really understand what can they do apart from putting a fine / taking your electronic devices used to download content / imprisoning... And here is my question again. Can they actually track me down and fine me? Or is it only to scare the **** out of me?

Yes they can track you down, they just have to put a legal request to your isp to give them your address (if they would is another matter, it depends on how much 'stuff' you're downloading).
Get a VPN today.
aroetem

Can you express what in this situation banning means? They shut down your … Can you express what in this situation banning means? They shut down your Internet or what? Don't really understand what can they do apart from putting a fine / taking your electronic devices used to download content / imprisoning... And here is my question again. Can they actually track me down and fine me? Or is it only to scare the **** out of me?

Of course they can track you down they have your full details as you did something illegal without protecting yourself. It's a warning, will they take you to court probably not but yes they can do most of things you said. But reality is if you are daft enough, sorry, to download without using protection then it's your fault. If you don't want children then use protection:)
I use betternet https://www.betternet.co/windows-vpn it's totally free and works a treat I have never had any letters from my isp using it .
there is also a VPN built in to the Opera browser
you have to turn it on in settings

opera.com/
You either need to stop what you're doing or get a vpn ( however painful and complicated and expensive you think that is).

You're unlucky but since you have their attention it would be foolish to just plough on
Original Poster
Thanks all for help, to be fair I think I had to see that coming. Ive been using torrents for last 15 years in various countries and never had an issue soo... I think I took it for granted it will stay this way.
Ill try betternet for now to get used to vpn, and then maybe go for paid one
Of course ditch you internet supplier at the earliest convenience, we should all send them a message if you don't defend our privacy then don't expect our coin
https://unblocked.cam/
You can also check if what your downloading is visable by others too
iknowwhatyoudownload.com/
WesD84

You can also check if what your downloading is visable by others too … You can also check if what your downloading is visable by others too http://iknowwhatyoudownload.com/

​what is this? clicked it and nothing much comes up, just my ip but nothing below it.
Edited by: "nwressell" 11th Jun 2017
I use a private tracker and am on talktalk and have not had any letters and i download alot!!
Edited by: "bluetba" 11th Jun 2017
Dudes seriously?
Ultimate rule: don't do anything illegal. UPLOADING copyrighted content is illegal.
Rule number one: use private trackers exclusively if possible.
Rule number two: use protection (peerguardian or a vpn).
Rule number three: if you're gonna use a public tracker, stop the torrent as soon as it's done to limit the risk of questionable peers seeing you in the swarm. Sorry, not seeding 1:1 is bad torrent etiquette but on a public tracker anyone and everyone can see you so you gotta leave there as quickly as possible.
use opera which has a free VPN. DO NOT TRUST GOOGLE VPN! it's a bait to sell to companies and they will report your IP address. user for 10years + with BT Sky and Talk talk.
sharewareonsale.com/s/f…unt only 7 hours left ... 6 months premium - of "remote torrent", they torrent, then you download - and no need to poke holes in your firewall

As far as I know, nobody has (yet) got in trouble for straight downloading. When you torrent, your system is screaming "I have parts of this, who wants them". A VPN hides that from the path between you and the VPN. A blocker such as peerguardian can block KNOWN snooper IP ranges, but is not a substitute for a VPN, as the unknown ones can still getcha
nwressell

what is this? clicked it and nothing much comes up, just my ip but … what is this? clicked it and nothing much comes up, just my ip but nothing below it.

Nothing is showing is a good sign, click on a few of the ip ranges, similar to yours and you will probably see what people have download via torrents on your isp, so they could get a letter etc.
Edited by: "WesD84" 12th Jun 2017
imon talktalk

still no letter received about my downloading

ive download 222gb in the last 30 days

arjanvirdi

Can't see screenshot.However, a while ago I did this on BT without vpn, … Can't see screenshot.However, a while ago I did this on BT without vpn, received no letters or anything.Now I purchased a vpn (AirVPN, Very good..). My 76mb speed only drops to 74mb making my downloads continuing to be fast. Also delete utorrent, and download Qbittorrent. Some ads on utorrent install malware. Qbittorrent has no ads or anything.

I second Qbittorrent. Ever since utorrent got plagued by ads I have been using qbit

Also, I think it's amazing how your ISP can invade your privacy, yet the police need to apply to a judge to do so.
Edited by: "xfaxfa" 13th Jun 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants