UV sterilisation box

Posted 8th Apr
Mum bought a load of masks for sister in law as she is a carer and still working. I saw on some page the customer service recommended using a UV sterilisation box to sterilise the masks. Been looking at them but not sure how legit there are, can't exactly test them.

I was reading up and UV light 200-280nm hasn't been proven to kill COVID-19 but it does kill other viruses and bacteria so they are pretty sure it would kill it. But that doesn't mean these £20-30 UV boxes have real UV light in them.

Looking at one like this : banggood.com/Mul…=CN as has fairly high output and is mains powered 12v.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
There are so many people after wasting their money on over inflated inferior products or being given the wrong information and then go out buying inferior PPE and RPE without actually knowing what they are buying, or should be buying, or even how to wear and remove it properly and most importantly decontaminate themselves. It’s a shame. I face fit people to tight fitting respirators as part of my job and it’s shocking to see people walking around wearing masks wrong or the wrong masks, thinking that they have protected themselves. If you want ‘proper’ advice go on the HSE website and take your information from there. Trying to reuse disposable RPE does not work.
Edited by: "fearghalg" 8th Apr
7 Comments
What sort of mask is being used? If it is a paper surgical style mask, these are mainly to stop the wearer passing germs on and should be thrown away after use (similar to sneezing into a tissue).
She bought FFP2 and KN95. Also some of those cheaper surgical masks too. Although the FFP2 and KN95 have a limited usage life too.
There are so many people after wasting their money on over inflated inferior products or being given the wrong information and then go out buying inferior PPE and RPE without actually knowing what they are buying, or should be buying, or even how to wear and remove it properly and most importantly decontaminate themselves. It’s a shame. I face fit people to tight fitting respirators as part of my job and it’s shocking to see people walking around wearing masks wrong or the wrong masks, thinking that they have protected themselves. If you want ‘proper’ advice go on the HSE website and take your information from there. Trying to reuse disposable RPE does not work.
Edited by: "fearghalg" 8th Apr
I know what you mean, people wearing the wrong masks or even scarfs tied around their face just gives a false sense of security
fearghalg08/04/2020 15:40

There are so many people after wasting their money on over inflated …There are so many people after wasting their money on over inflated inferior products or being given the wrong information and then go out buying inferior PPE and RPE without actually knowing what they are buying, or should be buying, or even how to wear and remove it properly and most importantly decontaminate themselves. It’s a shame. I face fit people to tight fitting respirators as part of my job and it’s shocking to see people walking around wearing masks wrong or the wrong masks, thinking that they have protected themselves. If you want ‘proper’ advice go on the HSE website and take your information from there. Trying to reuse disposable RPE does not work.

Some of the links below may be helpful, covering various reuse strategies. VHP sterilisation machines are being used in some US hospitals.

multimedia.3m.com/mws…pdf

cdc.gov/cor…tml

smartairfilters.com/en/…us/

One strategy suggested for home use in various forums, is to store used masks so that they can dry for several days without contaminating anyone or each other, to allow the virus time to (hopefully) eventually become deactivated, although as the virus will be trapped within the filters which are made of plastic fibres, where it will likely take longer to dry out, I would speculate that will take a fair bit longer than the 72 hours it is supposed to remain viable on flat plastic surfaces. The second article suggests cycling through at least 5 masks..
Edited by: "melted" 9th Apr
I guess I won't bother getting the UV box then, my mum has gone a bit crazy looking for masks and gloves and stuff because sister in laws work won't give her any PPE unless a client displays symptoms, she looks after learning disabled in their own homes and we aren't in a particularly hard hit area.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions