Expired

Vacuum cleaner recommendations

Found 23rd May 2017
So my mums DC14 died spectacularly at 9pm, she just finished hovering the front room and dinning room, unplugged the cable, moved to the kitchen and plugged it in and it went bang. I replaced the fuse, plugged it into an RCD socket and it went bang. I dismantled the cable entry point and checked the wiring and it was black with clear signs of burnt out cable (stiff and brittle) around the entry point.

As such the DC14 in in the front garden awaiting a ceremonial burial at the tidy tip and I would very much welcome some recommendations for a vacuum, requirements are...
- Upright
- Bagless
- Not a Vax (nothing will change my mind on this)
- Not a Dyson (unless you can really persuade me as the build quality of the DC27/40 is pretty poor for the money)
- Easily accessible filters (not like the post motor filter on the DC14)
weighs 8.5kg or less
- Finally, needs to be avail next day delivery or high street (although would prefer Argos or Amazon)

Any and all feedback and comments are very much appreciated, thank you in advance
Community Updates
AskVacuum Cleaners
15 Comments
Miele, All our family have them and they have never gone wrong.
Sebu
Miele all the way.
shark best by far for me
Shark is pretty good. Dysons are prone to fail where the cable enters the cleaner. They have been like that since the DC01 and never changed. You have to keep an eye out for the cable protector breaking and when it does have it replaced. Assuming of course the DC14 is the same as the DC01, DC07's which we have had. Whilst we have a Shark and a Vax, overall the Dyson is still the best all rounder. Shark has better suction, Vax is lighter but Dyson easily adjusts to all floors. You will enjoy the workout using a Shark but nothing sucks the crap out of your carpet better.
I have 2 Bosch, one upright cordless and one cylinder, both bagless. Both excellent. The rechargeable upright has a "whizzy" brush built in, and cleans brilliantly.

Filters on both are washable (I do this about once a month as I hoover almost daily). The upright was from John Lewis, and they were price matching at the time. It's this one:

https://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-bch6ath1gb-premium-athlet-upright-vacuum-cleaner-silver/p2103307?sku=234589150&s_kwcid=1dx43700020810296499&tmad=c&tmcampid=1&gclid=CjwKEAjwu4_JBRDpgs2RwsCbt1MSJABOY8an9zuBVYFJ2N1ACCiFYMni3UYhvjdfCjJC8gSvqIOpERoCtdjw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The battery life is..ok for us, but we have a 2 bedroom terrace and I like to use it on full power all the time. That said, it just about goes around the house on a full charge. I love the fact that it just sits ready to be used in the utility room, rather than having to fight some massive hoover out of the understairs cupboard all the time

It does come with a hose and attachments but I'd probably say that it's much more effective when used as an upright with the spinning brush.

The cylinder vac is ridiculously powerful, and I have to turn it down in order to move it on carpet, the suction is that strong. However it pre dates (just) the most stringent energy rules so you might not get quite as much "suck for your buck" these days.

I know the original brief said it has to be upright (and I guess corded), but I wanted to share my experience with Bosch as it has been very positive.
If you know it's the motor that's gone, a replacement is only £17 on eBay
Get Mumsy to nag the builders before they leave and use their hoover, they will or should have an industrial hoover unless they are a messy bunch!

Would not want to use a new hoover for that job personally.

I have read the Bosch ones are decent but for the money the old Henry's are solid
dozstanford

Smartguy, can you please elaborate on this comment... My mum is not very … Smartguy, can you please elaborate on this comment... My mum is not very mobile and without listing all her ailments and operations, in short she is disabled, she is ok using the DC14 but your "enjoy the workout" has me worried.. as I was considering this http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3279711or thishttp://www.argos.co.uk/product/4837420

​No Henry then based on this comment.

I have seen the new portable Bosch ones getting a good response from most people

not tried one myself but there are raving reviews about them
Its highly probable that the fault with your cleaner is the cable itself having fractured and causing a short. This is a common occurrence with cleaners due to the continual flexing and pulling the cable experiences often near or at the entry point to the cleaner as this is where repeated bending and flexing happens.
Another vote for miele. cylinder easier to use than upright imo
miele
Another vote for Miele
dozstanford

Smartguy, can you please elaborate on this comment... My mum is not very … Smartguy, can you please elaborate on this comment... My mum is not very mobile and without listing all her ailments and operations, in short she is disabled, she is ok using the DC14 but your "enjoy the workout" has me worried.. as I was considering this http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3279711or thishttp://www.argos.co.uk/product/4837420

Hi, if your mum is disabled I doubt if the Shark would be any good. I have the 480 and it has the best suction on a vacuum cleaner I have experienced and leaves lovely hoovered lines on the carpet. The downside of this is its quite hard to push around hence my comment of a "workout". We have a Vax air reach which is easy to push and it weighs just under 5 kilos. It's a nice vacuum for what we paid for it. We also have the expensive Gtech cordless, cost about £199.99 which works very well also. If your mum is disabled then perhaps look at the cordless range. The dyson will cover all the bases but they are extremely heavy in comparison although I think they too do one that is lighter but it's so expensive. Best thing is get you mum to a large Currys outlet and let her try them. Just be careful of the shark though because on a carpet tile floor it will be fine but get it on anything with a pile on it and will latch on and be difficult to push. The top of the range shark may be different and possibly perfected the head arrangement like Dyson have where it adjust to the different carpet or floor heights.

For those of you recommending Miele you need to look at the OP's criteria.
Banned
Henry are awesome.
cheap parts and bags and better than crappy vax.
believe me
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions