Expired

vaillant boiler keeps clicking really loud?!?!

Found 21st Sep 2012
New vaillant boiler when on keeps making a loud clicking noise intermittently when in use on heating . Has any one owned or got one of these or a professional installer as its really annoying and would like an answer if possible. It's an ecotec 28. Many thanks in advance.
Community Updates
25 Comments
Original Poster
Hmmm... Just looked, responses and replies are very sparse . Some month to month. Cheers for info anyway.
i presume if its new its under warranty so a call to your installer or vaillant is your first port of call
Original Poster
the porter

i presume if its new its under warranty so a call to your installer or … i presume if its new its under warranty so a call to your installer or vaillant is your first port of call

Sorry, forgot to mention both installer and vaillant engineer are clueless.
Original Poster
dga

Record and share.

Will try best to!
Original Poster
dga

Confidence inspiring, keep a window slightly ajar near it.

Got carbon monoxide detector next to it just invade.
Try Vaillant technical again. They should be able to diagnose.

Ask to speak to an experienced member of staff if first person doesnt know.
Is it a mechanical clicking or the type of clicking you get when you switch your radiators on casued by heat expansion. If the latter, don't think you can do anything as it is the heat exchanger and other metal components expanding.

You also get a clicking noise when the boiler switches on which is the ignition sparking to light the boiler. This goes off after the boiler fires up.
Original Poster
Starr

Try Vaillant technical again. They should be able to diagnose.Ask to … Try Vaillant technical again. They should be able to diagnose.Ask to speak to an experienced member of staff if first person doesnt know.

Might do this again tomorrow, cheers.
Original Poster
The Therapist

Is it a mechanical clicking or the type of clicking you get when you … Is it a mechanical clicking or the type of clicking you get when you switch your radiators on casued by heat expansion. If the latter, don't think you can do anything as it is the heat exchanger and other metal components expanding.You also get a clicking noise when the boiler switches on which is the ignition sparking to light the boiler. This goes off after the boiler fires up.

It's like a snapping plastic sound. Definately not the pipes and radiators. It's funny how's its while the boiler warms up and cools down. I did want to diagnose it myself as the metal components used to fix the boiler but I'm not an expert. I have part decided to get a kitchen housing for it to block out the sound just incase I can't get anything done about it.
Is the pressure right? Does it need topping up? I used to have one that did that and I vaguely remember having to open a tap value, I think to add water.
There was a pressure reading that used to be out of sync until the water was correct or something like that.

I have NO boiler knowledge though. The best would be to get a boiler engineer to advise
Original Poster
WoolyM

Is the pressure right? Does it need topping up? I used to have one that … Is the pressure right? Does it need topping up? I used to have one that did that and I vaguely remember having to open a tap value, I think to add water. There was a pressure reading that used to be out of sync until the water was correct or something like that.I have NO boiler knowledge though. The best would be to get a boiler engineer to advise

Water pressure well in the green. I've had two professionals out already, its seeming to be the $64 million dollar question.
Bang it
Original Poster
Mallinersha

Bang it

dga

Hit it.

Been very tempting, trust me.
sounds like thermal expansion/contraction based solely on you mentioning it's only while it's heating up/cooling down.
Have the engineers heard the noise? What did they say?

Does it sound anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lVMHDU8dAY

I have a Vaillant 828 (few years old and it has a similar noise. Clicking noise starts and gets faster before noise disappears. Only when switches on from cold. More noticeable in colder mornings. This is just the metal components expanding. My last boiler (pre-historic) did the same, and many others I have heard does the same.

Original Poster
yup, thats the one, been reading up its something to do with the type of metal the screws are made out of. My mates Worcester Bosch doesnt make the same noise so am currently arguing with Vaillant about the quality etc. probs not going to get anything out of them thats why im building a housing for it to drown it out as it can be heard in the living room.
Hi guys,

I'm a Vaillant Advance Partner. I install and repair Vaillant boilers. Just fixed my parents new generation ecoTEC Plus 831 this weekend.

It had a single clicking noise almost like a snapping noise which would repeat itself when the heating was on.

The single clicking noise IS due to the nuts that hold the burner door onto the main heat exchanger. If you think that the burner door and main heat exchanger are made from different metals - they will expand at different rates.

This information is for you to give to a registered gas engineer.

You'll need a gas engineer to loosen the nuts and tighten them again - just not as tight as they were.

This will stop the clicking noise.

Then - MOST IMPORTANT - he will have to test the burner door using a flue gas analyser.

Maximum time in the house 30 minutes.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU ARE A GAS ENGINEER. YOU WILL BE BREAKING THE LAW.

Regards, Wainwright
Original Poster
cheers, will give him a call.
bigweapon07

cheers, will give him a call.

You still have the problem after over 2 months BW, took you a while to get it sorted
Original Poster
maccy1

You still have the problem after over 2 months BW, took you a while to … You still have the problem after over 2 months BW, took you a while to get it sorted

nobody had a clue maccy
bigweapon07

nobody had a clue maccy

As long as it is still working - imagine a dodgy boiler in this weather brrrrrrrrrr.
i wouldn't worry about it until it starts to make loud banging noises.

this is why it is never a good idea to have boilers installed in bedrooms.
Original Poster
Im not too bothered about it now, its getting boxed in in January but Yeh, better than not working. It's a sound boiler and works like lightning. Just need now to get my mobile thermostat from German to English
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants