Valentine's Day – Tell us about that present you'll never forget!

EDITOR 13
Posted 4th Feb
Valentine’s Day is almost here – love it or loathe it, there’s no escaping the hype. Roll on the chocolates, roses, overcrowded restaurants and cheesy Facebook statuses ….

A gift doesn't need to cost a small fortune, however a little imagination can go a long way.

So please share your tips and experiences - tell us about that present you'll never forget!

• What is the best or worst Valentine's Day Gift you have ever received?

• What's the cheapest Valentine's Day you've arranged for someone - what did you do/buy - were they impressed or did it bomb?

3400708.jpg

• Will anyone be switching it up this year and celebrating 'friendship' on 13th Feb for Galentine's day instead?

Galentine's Day, is a nonofficial holiday, celebrated as a day for "ladies celebrating ladies."

Originating in the states in 2010, basically we have Parks and Recreation character Leslie Knope to thank for Galentine's Day.....

3400708.jpg

Find all the best Valentine's day deals here

Looking for a Valentine's Meal Deal offer? click here
Community Updates
Top comments
The one I'll NEVER forget:

The first Valentine's Day card I received in Primary School. Unfortunately, it was from the Headmaster's daughter - and he found out. I was called to his office and he; in no uncertain terms; told me it was inappropriate and to stay away from his daughter. At 7 (or 8), it really upset me and I cried. Some of the slightly older children were comforting me! Haha. At that age, I didn't fully understand the concept and just thought it was a sign of friendship and felt as if I couldn't be "friends" anymore.

Upon reflection, I suppose I was a bit of a "Gigolo" as I had two 'girlfriends' on the go at once! We all used to sit together at lunchtimes. Innocent times. It's all a bit different now, isn't it? Today's children seem to be growing up WAY before their time...

Anyhoo - crap story but you did ask!
13 Comments
Who cares?
Buckyball04/02/2020 10:14

Who cares?

People like celebrating it and they are not hurting anyone, I Don’t see the problem. People who moan or get upset are probably single and desperate, they should think who cares...

i will buy a card and gift, for the wife. But I don’t wait for valentines just for that. I often get her flowers and the like whenever...
Bargainhead04/02/2020 10:44

People like celebrating it and they are not hurting anyone, I Don’t see t …People like celebrating it and they are not hurting anyone, I Don’t see the problem. People who moan or get upset are probably single and desperate, they should think who cares...i will buy a card and gift, for the wife. But I don’t wait for valentines just for that. I often get her flowers and the like whenever...

Love this - "But I don’t wait for valentines just for that. I often get her flowers and the like whenever..."
The one I'll NEVER forget:

The first Valentine's Day card I received in Primary School. Unfortunately, it was from the Headmaster's daughter - and he found out. I was called to his office and he; in no uncertain terms; told me it was inappropriate and to stay away from his daughter. At 7 (or 8), it really upset me and I cried. Some of the slightly older children were comforting me! Haha. At that age, I didn't fully understand the concept and just thought it was a sign of friendship and felt as if I couldn't be "friends" anymore.

Upon reflection, I suppose I was a bit of a "Gigolo" as I had two 'girlfriends' on the go at once! We all used to sit together at lunchtimes. Innocent times. It's all a bit different now, isn't it? Today's children seem to be growing up WAY before their time...

Anyhoo - crap story but you did ask!
Yet another commercial holiday.
An iron. Cause mine had broken the day before and I could not iron his shirt .needless to to say him his iron and shirt (un ironed) were sent packing LoL
bozo00704/02/2020 12:04

Yet another commercial holiday.

Didn't realise it was a holiday.
sandstone104/02/2020 13:38

Didn't realise it was a holiday.

You are right, not a holiday but a "make consumers feel guilty so that they buy something" day.

At least this is not linked to nonsense like an engagement ring should cost around 2 months income.
I had a girlfriend called Frances who bought me a Dick Francis novel. Coincidence, probably.
I wouldn't forget a diamond encrusted Rolls Royce.
But I'm more likely to get a dust encrusted Swiss Roll.
bozo00704/02/2020 14:19

You are right, not a holiday but a "make consumers feel guilty so that …You are right, not a holiday but a "make consumers feel guilty so that they buy something" day.At least this is not linked to nonsense like an engagement ring should cost around 2 months income.

This way of thinking has only been about a short time, going back 30 years valentines and Xmas were fun and people enjoyed them.. yes there are other commercial days now eg grandparents day which are new. But the old ones are tradition and should be enjoyed...
I delivered twins on Valentine's Day, so it's never going to be the same for me.
Phsycronix04/02/2020 11:49

The one I'll NEVER forget:The first Valentine's Day card I received in …The one I'll NEVER forget:The first Valentine's Day card I received in Primary School. Unfortunately, it was from the Headmaster's daughter - and he found out. I was called to his office and he; in no uncertain terms; told me it was inappropriate and to stay away from his daughter. At 7 (or 8), it really upset me and I cried. Some of the slightly older children were comforting me! Haha. At that age, I didn't fully understand the concept and just thought it was a sign of friendship and felt as if I couldn't be "friends" anymore.Upon reflection, I suppose I was a bit of a "Gigolo" as I had two 'girlfriends' on the go at once! We all used to sit together at lunchtimes. Innocent times. It's all a bit different now, isn't it? Today's children seem to be growing up WAY before their time...Anyhoo - crap story but you did ask!

Aww bless, that was a bit heavy handed although ...... 2 girls on the go at once!

Valentine's day at primary school age was SO good, as you say, so innocent.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants