Expired

Value of Old Newspapers

Found 13th Feb 2014
Emptying my fathers loft I have come across a box of British newspapers.
There are approx. 70-80 all dated between the years 1941-1946.
They all look like new, no tanning or rips, they look like they have never been read. All folded square in a tight pile.
They are all in a taped up box which was inside another taped up box of items that were put into the loft appox 21 years ago.
So how do I check if they are original papers or reprints, if they are reprints they must have been done over 21 years ago?
Any ideas on the total value?
It is not my intention to sell them, only want a value out of interest. If they are original and/or valuable then I will probably store them in my loft and let my children decide what to do with them in the future. If they are just cheap reprints then I will probably just send them to my children's school too use in class projects.

1. Ask
  2. Newspaper
10 Comments

I don't know what value they are but must be worth something especially as most of them issued during war years. are they national or local newspapers ?

They would be great for a school or museum ?

Fascinating find. Sorry I don't have the answer, but I would advise getting some advice about how to store them. Obviously they have lasted very well where they are, but if you are intending that they be preserved for another few decades, it may be worth asking an expert what some good precautions might be. At the least you should think about insects/animals and damp (just a good quality, reasonably airtight, plastic box would probably be a good start). Your local library probably will be able to point you in the right direction for someone with expertise.

I hope that they are originals - sounds like a brilliant resource and fascinating treasure to pass down to your kids!

Old newspapers can be worth quite a lot of money... £100+, but they rarely increase in value. I agree with the previous comment they would make a great collection for a history museum, but not to the big museums please they have enough... if you do give them to a museum, find a little history museum....

I guess the question you have to ask here... is what would your father want you to do with them? pass them on to the kids, give them to a museum or make a few bob on ebay and then put the money towards an holidays for you and the kids?
Edited by: "lettherebedeals" 13th Feb 2014

Considering the years in question there may be some significant value in regards to the coverage of the war and it's ending. Best bet would be to take them to an antiques dealer for an appraisal. They may also be able to point you in the right direction in terms of preserving them. If anything you will want to see if there is any serious value in the pile because you may need to get them insured as a result.

As lettherebedeals said, it may be another option to offer them to a local museum on the agreement they are your property and only on loan to the museum but at least that way others may be able to enjoy them and not just your family (and that's assuming you don't keep them locked away).

Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.
Just had a better look they do seem to be mostly national papers.
Mostly 1941 to 1943.
There is one I assume to be a good one The Sketch (was this a local or National?), which is dated sept 4 1939.
There are also a couple of German papers General-Anzeiger June 23rd 1941 and Völkischer Beobachter June 22 1942,
I was surprised how thin they are compared to papers nowadays, thought they might be just the outside covers at first but are page numbered right. Guess they were proper newspapers then, not mostly advertisements.
When I looked at them this time, better light I can see the the paper is bit tanned, but they are in excellent condition.
When I get time over the weekend I will have a good look through them.
Lettherebedeals, when you say £100 do you mean each or for all of them, if each I think my local museum can take the responsibility of looking after them for a while if they want them..

i will give you £20 for them

buck91

i will give you £20 for them

I'll give you £30 for them:)

I would look through them and see if the front pages cover any big events during WW2. Ie particular battles, the yanks entering, German surrender etc. Anything like that have it framed professionally. Remember Google is your friend when researching.

grayles

Thanks for your replies. Just had a better look they do seem to be mostly … Thanks for your replies. Just had a better look they do seem to be mostly national papers.Mostly 1941 to 1943.There is one I assume to be a good one The Sketch (was this a local or National?), which is dated sept 4 1939.There are also a couple of German papers General-Anzeiger June 23rd 1941 and Völkischer Beobachter June 22 1942, I was surprised how thin they are compared to papers nowadays, thought they might be just the outside covers at first but are page numbered right. Guess they were proper newspapers then, not mostly advertisements.When I looked at them this time, better light I can see the the paper is bit tanned, but they are in excellent condition.When I get time over the weekend I will have a good look through them.Lettherebedeals, when you say £100 do you mean each or for all of them, if each I think my local museum can take the responsibility of looking after them for a while if they want them..

looking at your newspaper titles dates you may have copies that came with these

partworks.co.uk/con…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants