Groups

Value of old Sony VAIO laptop

My little bro has got a Sony VAIO laptop, its pretty old and a bit worse for wear.

Its probably about 7 years old and at the time cost a grand (irrelevant i know)

MS XP
    Home edition
    Version 2002
    service pack 1

Vaio PCG-FR series
    Intel pentiumm 4
    CPU 2.40GHZ
    448MB of ram
    32GB Hard drive

The battery doesn't hold charge but is fine with a charger plugged in.
    But it wouldn't be sold with a charger
    The ? key is missing
    1 of the USB ports is broken.

What is the best way to get rid of this laptop? Is it worth more stripping it down or taking it to Currys for £50 off a new laptop or putting it on ebay as faulty.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

8 Comments

I'd say fleabay spares and repairs. Just be honest about the condition so you don't get any comeback.

Original Poster

tallpete33

I'd say fleabay spares and repairs. Just be honest about the condition so … I'd say fleabay spares and repairs. Just be honest about the condition so you don't get any comeback.

I will of course be honest about it as just want rid with no problems.

Any ideas what region price wise? Sell it as BIN or auction it.

Is it worth more than £60 is what im trying to say lol.

Original Poster

Just going over the Currys trade in terms and this wouldn't be eligible as it doesn't have a charger and its missing a key.

I'll have to scrap that idea then.

Similar laptop 250731328108

Original Poster

Any other ideas please guys
    Edited by: "Starr" 24th Nov 2010

Why wouldn't the charger be supplied? If you did, you should be able to get about £100 for it. The Pentium 4 was a good strong processor, and with a RAM upgrade will be fine for most people.

Original Poster

peodude

Why wouldn't the charger be supplied? If you did, you should be able to … Why wouldn't the charger be supplied? If you did, you should be able to get about £100 for it. The Pentium 4 was a good strong processor, and with a RAM upgrade will be fine for most people.

Thanks for input.

The charger he is using is a universal one and isn't his. He only borrows it.

Would you recommend buying one of the following and including it in the sale?

I think it may well be, if you can sell it in working condition, rather than broken, needs a charger, then i think it is worth more and will sell easier. Otherwise the buyer may be thinking it is a gamble as to whether buying a charger will actually make it work.

Original Poster

Thanks for your help buddy
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764534
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …206570
      3. word association Game72844185
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?32159

See more discussions