Van owners advice on buying a high mileage van

Posted 20th Jul
I'm looking for some advice, I'm after a van and I've seen a four year old Peugeot one with just over 100k on the clock, it's in mint condition and full service history. I've never bought a van before only cars either new or low mileage. when I get one it will be only used for the family so no heavy loads and no more mileage than 6k a year.

Just wondered if anyone else bought a high mileage van what's their experience good or bad or should I look at lower mileage ones.

many thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Buy on condition.

PSA vans are quite capable of hundreds of thousands of miles. I think the bad rep they have in the uk is because they introduced quite complex diesels that uk garages didn't have a clue about.

Have a look on leboncoin.fr and see the mileages that people run them to.
Check out the insurance costs, insuring Avan for personal use can be expensive and difficult to obtain.
It may be cheaper to buy an estate car or something like a zafira,obviously depending on exactly what you want to use it for.
mas9921/07/2020 00:16

Buy on condition.PSA vans are quite capable of hundreds of thousands of …Buy on condition.PSA vans are quite capable of hundreds of thousands of miles. I think the bad rep they have in the uk is because they introduced quite complex diesels that uk garages didn't have a clue about.Have a look on leboncoin.fr and see the mileages that people run them to.

Zafira’s make great vans too if it’s just for personal tip runs etc.
7ommy.7821/07/2020 06:09

Zafira’s make great vans too if it’s just for personal tip runs etc.

Great for BBQs too.

Peugeot have their engines in other brands of cars too. Pretty sure Ford and Mercedes are amongst them.

As others have said buy in condition. Should be easier to inspect than a car anyway. At 4 years old unless it’s been crashed, there should be no structural problems. Make sure you gibe the brakes and suspension a good check.
Have owned 2 Pug panel vans with high mileage. Only common problem was throttle body failure. The panel vans have a design issue with water drainage from the windshield dripping down on to the electronics. Check the water drains at the end of the rain channel at the back of the bonnet recess are clear. Both got a bit of rust. Other than that very reliable and cheap to fix. The 2.8l engine is really good.
Edited by: "airbus330" 21st Jul
Blueskinnedbeast21/07/2020 01:17

Check out the insurance costs, insuring Avan for personal use can be …Check out the insurance costs, insuring Avan for personal use can be expensive and difficult to obtain.It may be cheaper to buy an estate car or something like a zafira,obviously depending on exactly what you want to use it for.

Very easy to get van insurance for pleasure and domestic use, we already have an estate car but what we need to transport is to big to fit in it !
Thanks Everyone for your comments very helpful
High mileage at 100k

Last van I had was on 179k with no problems. Even if you get a smokey diesel just bung some stop smoke in for mot and it will sail through.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants