Vanilla extract

Posted 3rd May
This stuff is impossible to find, apparently I need it for fairy cakes 🤷🏼♂️
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Seems there is plenty about from looking on Amazon, here's my thought's on vanilla

Vanilla essence - cheap, synthetic flavour & colour, false economy as you will need to use lots.
Vanilla extract - typically extracted using alcohol, so watch out for that if you're trying to avoid alcohol.
Bean paste - much thicker (as the name would suggest) so won't change the consistency of your baking. Also has seeds in it, good for giving things that 'speckled' vanilla look.
You can also get powdered vanilla (but I've never tried that)
The best of the best is vanilla pods - the seeds of 1 pod will equal 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Then if you store the used husks in a tub of sugar you can make vanilla sugar. Delicious!

I make my own vanilla extract by putting 8 split pods into a bottle, adding 500ml of vodka then shake every couple of days. it will take a couple of weeks but makes really good vanilla extract. I've had a batch going since Christmas now.

If after all of that you still can't get your hands on vanilla, try a caramel flavouring, it will work well as a substitute. I sometimes mix vanilla & caramel/butterscotch together.
Edited by: "spiderbifida" 3rd May
10 Comments
Do you mean it's sold out when you have looked for it, or you don't know where to get it from?
All supermarkets have it on the baking aisle, if you can't find extract use vanilla essence
Try local Asian supermarket they have lots of different baking goods
Seems there is plenty about from looking on Amazon, here's my thought's on vanilla

Vanilla essence - cheap, synthetic flavour & colour, false economy as you will need to use lots.
Vanilla extract - typically extracted using alcohol, so watch out for that if you're trying to avoid alcohol.
Bean paste - much thicker (as the name would suggest) so won't change the consistency of your baking. Also has seeds in it, good for giving things that 'speckled' vanilla look.
You can also get powdered vanilla (but I've never tried that)
The best of the best is vanilla pods - the seeds of 1 pod will equal 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Then if you store the used husks in a tub of sugar you can make vanilla sugar. Delicious!

I make my own vanilla extract by putting 8 split pods into a bottle, adding 500ml of vodka then shake every couple of days. it will take a couple of weeks but makes really good vanilla extract. I've had a batch going since Christmas now.

If after all of that you still can't get your hands on vanilla, try a caramel flavouring, it will work well as a substitute. I sometimes mix vanilla & caramel/butterscotch together.
Edited by: "spiderbifida" 3rd May
Aldi
Yes s/o everywhere, thanks for the info though 🏽
Just use something else like lemon or orange zest
Edited by: "ding" 4th May
Just make the cakes without, it won't make much difference
Home bargains also sell it.
Got some finally, also got the orange and lemon as well 🏽
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions