Vaping on outdoor train platforms

Found 20th Dec 2017
So this morning I go to get my train. Although I do know vaping is banned on the platform I still do it as I also know it's not enforceable by law. I make sure I am at the extreme end of the platform away from anyone else and remain downwind so could be either end. This morning I happened to be at the end where the train guard watches people on and off. She politely asked me to stop. I politely declined. I said if I'm breaking the law, by all means call the police. There was no further discussion as I put my earphones back in and couldn't hear her further protests. The vape itself was blowing well away from any passengers and the train ( wind factor) and I calmly carried on for a few seconds more before boarding the train. There was no animosity or rudeness per say. I just ignored anything further. Am I a bad person?
Community Updates
MiscSports & Fitness
Top comments
yes, whilst i agree its crazy, the train guard was only doing her job and you should have politely respected that, and stopped.
People Vaping can trigger my friends asthma.
So you only follow rules that are enforceable by law?
Wonder if you'd have put your earphones back in if it was an actual police officer asking you to stop?
229 Comments
yes, whilst i agree its crazy, the train guard was only doing her job and you should have politely respected that, and stopped.
So you only follow rules that are enforceable by law?
Wonder if you'd have put your earphones back in if it was an actual police officer asking you to stop?
Original Poster
MichyM6 m ago

Wonder if you'd have put your earphones back in if it was an actual police …Wonder if you'd have put your earphones back in if it was an actual police officer asking you to stop?

Until enforceable by law - yes quite frankly.
Way I see it, it was an open platform close to a busy road (where the actual car fumes are far more toxic than anything proven from vaping).
I honestly don't think I was doing any harm to anyone or anything.I don't litter the platform. I don't pee in the seating areas where some do and render it unusable for the stench. I wouldn't dream of doing it in an enclosed place. I'm not totally devoid of morals.
I don't eat really stinky food on the train or have my music so loud that others are disturbed by it.Other than the vaping, I'm as inconspicuous as can be.
Original Poster
anthea13 m ago

There are many things that can trigger that and I venture that it's more likely in an enclosed space where it can be concentrated.
If not, then I also imagine car fumes and such like are equally as hazardous and best advice is stay indoors.
Either way, I imagine actual cigarette smoke would be far worse?
Why can’tyou vape outside the station before you get onto the platform?
Holte_ender2 m ago

Until enforceable by law - yes quite frankly.Way I see it, it was an open …Until enforceable by law - yes quite frankly.Way I see it, it was an open platform close to a busy road (where the actual car fumes are far more toxic than anything proven from vaping).I honestly don't think I was doing any harm to anyone or anything.I don't litter the platform. I don't pee in the seating areas where some do and render it unusable for the stench. I wouldn't dream of doing it in an enclosed place. I'm not totally devoid of morals.I don't eat really stinky food on the train or have my music so loud that others are disturbed by it.Other than the vaping, I'm as inconspicuous as can be.

most of the other things you mentioned aren't punishable by law (i.e. stinky food or loud music)

but you'd be happy if other people refused to stop doing those things?

i believe you are a hypocrite
Original Poster
anthea17 m ago

MichyM13 m ago

Wonder if you'd have put your earphones back in if it was an actual police …Wonder if you'd have put your earphones back in if it was an actual police officer asking you to stop?

Nope.
Not that cut and dry.
Some rules make a lot of sense and are there for those who can't think for themselves - much like laws in some way I guess.I just honestly can't see what harm I was doing.
I didn't see people running around screaming thinking they were about to be killed by a random puff of vape. Not that it went anywhere near any other passenger.
Original Poster
Toptrumpet4 m ago

Why can’tyou vape outside the station before you get onto the platform?

Didn't want to risk missing the train.
Original Poster
adamspencer9518 m ago

most of the other things you mentioned aren't punishable by law (i.e. …most of the other things you mentioned aren't punishable by law (i.e. stinky food or loud music)but you'd be happy if other people refused to stop doing those things?i believe you are a hypocrite

Fair enough. And I welcome all opinions.
Being totally honest, yes I would be happy however, since we live in a society where reasonable tollerance of all others is expected, there is not a lot I can do or say. So I don't say or do anything. It was just an example of how others can be inconsiderate.
Edited by: "Holte_ender" 20th Dec 2017
Original Poster
Point is overall.
A lot of people do very antisocial things on the trains and platforms.
What's so bad about vaping??!!
In the context of the way I was doing it.I wouldn't do it in enclosed spaces much less on the train itself.
Just seems the fun police want to crack down as much as possible.
Just seems you like the attention really why else would you do it then follow up with this kind of post on here.
You probably don't even realise you look daft sucking on a bit of plastic/metal.
Holte_ender15 m ago

Until enforceable by law - yes quite frankly.Way I see it, it was an open …Until enforceable by law - yes quite frankly.Way I see it, it was an open platform close to a busy road (where the actual car fumes are far more toxic than anything proven from vaping).I honestly don't think I was doing any harm to anyone or anything.I don't litter the platform. I don't pee in the seating areas where some do and render it unusable for the stench. I wouldn't dream of doing it in an enclosed place. I'm not totally devoid of morals.I don't eat really stinky food on the train or have my music so loud that others are disturbed by it.Other than the vaping, I'm as inconspicuous as can be.

It was just a question, not judging. 1 person well away from anyone doesn't bother me, shows some consideration. It becomes a problem when others see that 1 person and everyone thinks it's OK.
Original Poster
stefromuk3 m ago

Just seems you like the attention really why else would you do it then …Just seems you like the attention really why else would you do it then follow up with this kind of post on here.You probably don't even realise you look daft sucking on a bit of plastic/metal.

Not after attention.
You can say all you want how you think I look. Not one bit bothered.
I think some people look like cybermen with their big headphones on - think they're fussed about that?
Not going to get into anything personal with anyone.
Trying to get a bit of a feel for how others feel about vaping in general too.
It's clear how you feel. All good pal.
Yes you're a bad person.

And as train stations are private property I'm just disappointed she didn't tell you to leave.
I couldn't give a crap really but if you have one of the vaping stick things that produces massive volumes of smoke that smells of funky fruit I would mutter under my breath and add a reminder to stand somewhere else on the platform tomorrow.
Original Poster
Segata-Sanshiro5 m ago

Yes you're a bad person.And as train stations are private property I'm …Yes you're a bad person.And as train stations are private property I'm just disappointed she didn't tell you to leave.

Thanks.
She may well have however, I didn't hear anything further. I know that comes across badly however, I didn't want to get into anything more uncomfortable.
I even wished her a good day and a merry Christmas when I got on the train. Not a hint of sarcasm and I think she recognised that. It was just that I simply wasn't going to stop. Just had a couple more puffs and got on.
Pig headed I admit and probably arrogant. Really though. What harm was I doing?
Out of interest, do you vape when watching The Villa?
Holte_ender12 m ago

...Trying to get a bit of a feel for how others feel about vaping in …...Trying to get a bit of a feel for how others feel about vaping in general too...

OK, if you are asking for opinions...

Until there is irrefutable scientific proof to state that secondary vape aerosol it is not harmful to others, then I would prefer it if you [the e-cigarette community] would stick to vaping in your own homes, cars, & anywhere away from the general public.

If this is progress from not smoking products with a heavier concentration of tobacco, why can't you just stop smoking/vaping completely?

That said, if a train guard had asked me to do something I did not understand/agree with, then I would question it too... but I would engage with the official until the reason was provided. I would not be so rude to avoid what could have been a longer discussion because I did not wish to listen to any other viewpoint.
Sorry, but ignorant twit came to mind when I read this post.
Holte_ender27 m ago

There are many things that can trigger that and I venture that it's more …There are many things that can trigger that and I venture that it's more likely in an enclosed space where it can be concentrated.If not, then I also imagine car fumes and such like are equally as hazardous and best advice is stay indoors.Either way, I imagine actual cigarette smoke would be far worse?

Rather than a bad person you've described yourself as considerate. Sounds like the guard did her job which was to ask you to stop and it ended there.

I'm in two minds about vaping, I'm sure it's much safer than smoking but that doesn't mean safe as many people often think (I've seen people state that it's completely harmless which appears to be based on guessing and assertion, which is hardly scientific). Until long term studies show it to be safe it can't be called safe, and any degree of potential harm should be confined to yourself.

So while you're stating that you ensured you were away from people and the wind blowing away from people, and not doing it in enclosed areas, I'm on your side, but when you start talking about other things being as bad or worse you begin to sound less considerate. If I punch you in the face and then say "it would be worse if I used a hammer instead of my hand" would you shrug it off? And then someone decides they can elbow you in the face because it's equally as bad as a punch therefore it's okay. And if you don't like being assaulted thus you'd best stay indoors. Pretty absurd right?
Original Poster
DKLS7 m ago

I couldn't give a crap really but if you have one of the vaping stick …I couldn't give a crap really but if you have one of the vaping stick things that produces massive volumes of smoke that smells of funky fruit I would mutter under my breath and add a reminder to stand somewhere else on the platform tomorrow.

Not a cloud chucker no . I keep that for home.
There is some - less than a cigarette.I honestly think that some people get so caught up in rules and regulations they can't think for themselves and actually go - oh well, it's not actually doing me any harm.
They see a rule and stick by it. NO matter what!
Does everyone on here stick to or under the speed limit in their cars without fail?
I'm curious why you politely declined when you know vaping is banned on the platform.

For you to refuse to follow the rules of the premise you're on, you could've been asked to leave for breaking their agreement of use.

She was doing her job, and you came across as a jerk in the situation. It wouldn't hurt you to hold off till the end off your train journey.

But for you to ask everyone else if you're the bad person, hints that you feel slightly bad about the situation and know you didn't handle it as well you could.
Edited by: "kos1c" 21st Dec 2017
Original Poster
bryanhaines3998 m ago

Rather than a bad person you've described yourself as considerate. Sounds …Rather than a bad person you've described yourself as considerate. Sounds like the guard did her job which was to ask you to stop and it ended there. I'm in two minds about vaping, I'm sure it's much safer than smoking but that doesn't mean safe as many people often think (I've seen people state that it's completely harmless which appears to be based on guessing and assertion, which is hardly scientific). Until long term studies show it to be safe it can't be called safe, and any degree of potential harm should be confined to yourself.So while you're stating that you ensured you were away from people and the wind blowing away from people, and not doing it in enclosed areas, I'm on your side, but when you start talking about other things being as bad or worse you begin to sound less considerate. If I punch you in the face and then say "it would be worse if I used a hammer instead of my hand" would you shrug it off? And then someone decides they can elbow you in the face because it's equally as bad as a punch therefore it's okay. And if you don't like being assaulted thus you'd best stay indoors. Pretty absurd right?

I kind of get you.
Please understand, I'm not judging people by what they do if it annoys me.
Being honest, I am quite inconsiderate when it comes to myself if that's what it means by talking about other things that annoy me. I don't like to smell other peoples food or hear them slewing it down right next to me. Tinny noises from earphones just grate on my nerves. Does anyone enjoy that? I put up and shut up.
Luckily my car will be fixed soon.It's clear from most responses, me and public transport don't mix.

Have a nice Christmas everyone and a great new year.I'll leave this now for any and all character assasinations without response.
Not sulking - got work to do.
Thanks for all the input from everyone too.
Holte_ender7 m ago

Not a cloud chucker no . I keep that for home.There is some - …Not a cloud chucker no . I keep that for home.There is some - less than a cigarette.I honestly think that some people get so caught up in rules and regulations they can't think for themselves and actually go - oh well, it's not actually doing me any harm.They see a rule and stick by it. NO matter what!Does everyone on here stick to or under the speed limit in their cars without fail?

If excessive speed was likely to cause distress, injury, death, or destruction to others &/or their property, then I wouldn't put my headphones on & ignore the rules.
Original Poster
kos1c1 m ago

Sadly, I'm curious why you politely declined when you know vaping is …Sadly, I'm curious why you politely declined when you know vaping is banned on the platform. For you to refuse to follow the rules of the premise you're on, you could've been asked to leave for breaking their agreement of use.She was doing her job, and you came across as a jerk in the situation. It wouldn't hurt you to hold off till the end off your train journey. But for you to ask everyone else if you're the bad person, hints that you feel slightly bad about the situation and know you didn't handle it as well you could.

true....
Great response.
Why should you think it’s ok for others to have to breath in the cloud of stuff that comes out of the end even if it’s water or diluted in air anyone with any decency would have some respect for other people. Never mind the disrespect you showed the guard.

You wouldnt do do something else you know you shouldn’t just because it wasn’t legally enforceable would you, there are words for people like you but sadly we are not allowed to write them here with the sites code of conduct.
eslick42 s ago

Why should you think it’s ok for others to have to breath in the cloud of s …Why should you think it’s ok for others to have to breath in the cloud of stuff that comes out of the end even if it’s water or diluted in air anyone with any decency would have some respect for other people. Never mind the disrespect you showed the guard. You wouldnt do do something else you know you shouldn’t just because it wasn’t legally enforceable would you, there are words for people like you but sadly we are not allowed to write them here with the sites code of conduct.

"Selfish"?
Original Poster
eslick1 m ago

Why should you think it’s ok for others to have to breath in the cloud of s …Why should you think it’s ok for others to have to breath in the cloud of stuff that comes out of the end even if it’s water or diluted in air anyone with any decency would have some respect for other people. Never mind the disrespect you showed the guard. You wouldnt do do something else you know you shouldn’t just because it wasn’t legally enforceable would you, there are words for people like you but sadly we are not allowed to write them here with the sites code of conduct.

I dunno
Maybe the same reason I think it's ok for everyone to breathe in what comes out of my car exhaust?
fanpages41 s ago

"Selfish"?

I was thinking of worse than that :
you honestly sound like an ignorant person, if you go somewhere that has rules(if legalaly enforceable or not) then respect them. You then put your ear phones in and ignored her so you "couldn't hear her further protests" and then say there was no rudeness?

she should have told you to leave the platform and walk to your destination
Edited by: "StevenBrown" 20th Dec 2017
Predikuesi14 m ago

Sorry, but ignorant twit came to mind when I read this post.

I was thinking exactly the same thing,
Holte_ender16 m ago

Thanks.She may well have however, I didn't hear anything further. I know …Thanks.She may well have however, I didn't hear anything further. I know that comes across badly however, I didn't want to get into anything more uncomfortable.

So wouldn't 'oh, sorry' and put it in your pocket have been an easier way?
deeky1 m ago

32838073-LiP5e.jpg
I don’t know anything about vaping but I do know it sends up a cloud of ‘smoke’ or what loooks like smoke especially on a cold morning. so from a distance people might think something is on fire and then the chaos would begin.
OP is "that type".
Banned
Now if it had been a TV licence sales goon and you ignored them I would be impressed.
Toptrumpet2 m ago

I don’t know anything about vaping but I do know it sends up a cloud of ‘ …I don’t know anything about vaping but I do know it sends up a cloud of ‘smoke’ or what loooks like smoke especially on a cold morning. so from a distance people might think something is on fire and then the chaos would begin.

seems a bit dramatic
32838170-U4q1G.jpg
deeky8 m ago

But then the OP wouldn't have had a chance to inform us of his ignorance and the subsequent comments to justify the same.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants