vaping/smoking and corona

Posted 27th Mar
Why not gov ban smoking and vaping if corona is a resporatory illness?
Most of the online vaping businesses are still in operation. Cigarettes are still sold in the supermarket.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I don't smoke but why is smoking so condemned and alcohol so accepted.
Both are of course hugely damaging but surely alcohol costs us more than smoking. Not only do we have people using the NHS due to the damage they have done to their bodies with drinking but the strain on the police and criminal.justice system and how much domestic violence has its roots in alcohol?
If there was only one to ban it should be alcohol easily. I have never been attacked due to someone smoking too much.
Edited by: "RoseBiscuit" 27th Mar
tobacco makes too much money on tax, "the economy" is more important than the health of an individual appears to be the thought for the last century or so
You'll have to ban alcohol as well due to its effect on the pulmonary system.

Then caffiene, as that increases heart rate, which in turn increases breathing rate.

You people that shout BAN at everything you don't like are going to ban yourselves into a very boring world if you carry on.
40199914-5r58T.jpg
19 Comments
I agree along with alcohol as it lowers the immune system.
Jenny_Star1527/03/2020 01:16

I can't stand alcohol. I have seen the pain it causes some people & families.

To be honest I'm not a fan of anything you can get addicted to.
tobacco makes too much money on tax, "the economy" is more important than the health of an individual appears to be the thought for the last century or so
Just asking if anyone knows how much does smoking damages the ozone layer? I sayYes no smoking during coronavirus pandemic
The day they stop selling tobacco is the day I'll stop weeping for the world.
Delightful12327/03/2020 01:28

I can't stand alcohol. I have seen the pain it causes some people & …I can't stand alcohol. I have seen the pain it causes some people & families.To be honest I'm not a fan of anything you can get addicted to.

Do you not drink coffee or have energy drinks, coca cola? They all seem to have addictive properties!
I agree though smoking and vaping is a bad idea at the moment, vaping probably more as I've seen how big some of the clouds of vape are. I was driving down the road once and just seen a cloud, I thought Thomas The Tank Engine was ahead but it was some bloke on a push bike vaping away
I don't smoke but why is smoking so condemned and alcohol so accepted.
Both are of course hugely damaging but surely alcohol costs us more than smoking. Not only do we have people using the NHS due to the damage they have done to their bodies with drinking but the strain on the police and criminal.justice system and how much domestic violence has its roots in alcohol?
If there was only one to ban it should be alcohol easily. I have never been attacked due to someone smoking too much.
Edited by: "RoseBiscuit" 27th Mar
Jenny_Star1527/03/2020 01:16

Who is your avatar?
You'll have to ban alcohol as well due to its effect on the pulmonary system.

Then caffiene, as that increases heart rate, which in turn increases breathing rate.

You people that shout BAN at everything you don't like are going to ban yourselves into a very boring world if you carry on.
Yeah good call we really need 1000s of people craving nicotine and being grumpy and angry at the moment!
OP what's your thoughts on banning alcohol?
40199914-5r58T.jpg
The police have got enough to worry about without diverting resources to impose a ban on tobacco sales & deal with the vast illicit black market that would be created overnight.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 27th Mar
She who must be obeyed went from 20/25 cigs a day to vaping 5 years ago.
Never looked back, Not had one cig since.
Before vaping she got 3 or 4 chest infections a year, In 5 years she has not had one.
Delightful12327/03/2020 01:28

I can't stand alcohol. I have seen the pain it causes some people & …I can't stand alcohol. I have seen the pain it causes some people & families.To be honest I'm not a fan of anything you can get addicted to.

Like Hotdeals?
I think banning cigarettes would probably result in people taking extra risks to get black market dodgy fags and spread the virus more quickly.

BUT, now would be a really good time for a Government anti-smoking campaign - Give up smoking for three months to give yourself a better chance of not dying from Coronavirus - or that sort of thing.
melted27/03/2020 11:44

I think banning cigarettes would probably result in people taking extra …I think banning cigarettes would probably result in people taking extra risks to get black market dodgy fags and spread the virus more quickly. BUT, now would be a really good time for a Government anti-smoking campaign - Give up smoking for three months to give yourself a better chance of not dying from Coronavirus - or that sort of thing.

When i quit smoking 7 years ago im pretty sure i would have been more likely to die from a virus in the first 6 months after quitting than if i was still smoking.
I felt crap for a while and woke up every night for roughly 6 months hot,soaked in sweat and bed sheets even drenched though, dont think i would have been more likely to survive going through that, my body and immune system must have been really low from the withdrawal.
So glad i quit now though looking back
Mark_Hickman27/03/2020 12:19

When i quit smoking 7 years ago im pretty sure i would have been more …When i quit smoking 7 years ago im pretty sure i would have been more likely to die from a virus in the first 6 months after quitting than if i was still smoking.I felt crap for a while and woke up every night for roughly 6 months hot,soaked in sweat and bed sheets even drenched though, dont think i would have been more likely to survive going through that, my body and immune system must have been really low from the withdrawal.So glad i quit now though looking back

I'm aware that the withdrawal symptoms can be severe, but some of the health benefits can be quite rapid.

healthline.com/hea…ing

Quitting smoking timeline
  • 20 minutes after quitting, your heart rate drops. Cigarettes raise your blood pressure and increase your heart rate. You heart rate will begin to drop to normal levels within 20 minutes of your last cigarette.
  • 8 to 12 hours after quitting, you blood carbon monoxide level drops.Carbon monoxide is the same dangerous fume that comes from car exhaust. It causes your heart rate to increase and causes shortness of breath. Within 8 to 12 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops, and your blood oxygen increases.
  • 48 hours after quitting, your ability to smell and taste improves. The nerve endings damaged by smoking begin to regrow, improving your sense of smell and taste.
  • 2 weeks to 3 months after quitting, your risk of heart attack drops. Improved circulation, lower blood pressure and heart rate, and better oxygen levels and lung function all reduce your risk of a heart attack.
  • 1 to 9 months after quitting, you’ll feel less short of breath and cough less. Coughing, shortness of breath, and sinus congestion will decrease. You’ll feel more energetic overall.

I've never smoked, I was a young kid when the harm smoking does was getting heavy coverage on TV programmes like Horizon, and nagged my poor father incessantly about it, until he quit.
Edited by: "melted" 27th Mar
People are already climbing up the walls from self-isolation, no way I'd try and quit my nicotine addiction at this time, it wouldn't be pretty.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions