VAR.

Found 27th Mar
Imho VAR will be ditched sooner rather than later after the Russia World Cup as it will annoy the fans. Football is flowing game and despite VAR aiding the referees it will hinder the game. Anyone who loves football doesn't want to have the game halted on multiple occasions so the referee can have a look at an incident.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Yeah, I want it. Would rather have the correct decision at the expense of a minute or two. Only for goals and red cards.
25 Comments
VAR! Huh! What is it good for?.....absolutely nothing, say it again!
Yeah, I want it. Would rather have the correct decision at the expense of a minute or two. Only for goals and red cards.
I want it as well for the same reasons as Istanbul_Kop.

I'm not sure why you think it will annoy the fans? It's accepted in rugby and cricket - it's no different in football.
Edited by: "deeky" 27th Mar
There is absolutely no way that VAR will be ditched. They just need to speed the decision making up and use it as intended, for clear and obvious mistakes.
If it is going to be used and i dont think it should, it should be a tool for the ref as a last resort, if there is an incident that he is unsure of and after consulting with his assistants he is still unsure then he can call for the VAR, the way it is going it seems to be the VAR making the calls and that is wrong imo.
Football has changed so much over the last 100 years, the speed, the way its played etc.

The VAR brings in peace of mind and quality judgements. As we know betting is very important globally and this will lead, hopefully to everyone know that considered decision was made about how you won or lost your bet!
deeky22 h, 3 m ago

I want it as well for the same reasons as Istanbul_Kop.I'm not sure why …I want it as well for the same reasons as Istanbul_Kop.I'm not sure why you think it will annoy the fans? It's accepted in rugby and cricket - it's no different in football.

Neither of those sports flow like football.
Istanbul_Kop22 h, 9 m ago

Yeah, I want it. Would rather have the correct decision at the expense of …Yeah, I want it. Would rather have the correct decision at the expense of a minute or two. Only for goals and red cards.

Is that goals scored or disallowed? Should they all be checked?
redcantona20 h, 36 m ago

There is absolutely no way that VAR will be ditched. They just need to …There is absolutely no way that VAR will be ditched. They just need to speed the decision making up and use it as intended, for clear and obvious mistakes.

That is the point I was clumsily making. "For clear and obvious mistakes" should be when it is used. I fear players will use it to their own advantage and the refs fearing they will get it wrong will go to VAR automatically. The game we live will suffer.
coys6716 h, 26 m ago

If it is going to be used and i dont think it should, it should be a tool …If it is going to be used and i dont think it should, it should be a tool for the ref as a last resort, if there is an incident that he is unsure of and after consulting with his assistants he is still unsure then he can call for the VAR, the way it is going it seems to be the VAR making the calls and that is wrong imo.

Exactly the point I was trying to make sir. In cricket if there is a run out decision the umpires always refer to the 4th umpire even if they know whether the batsmen is in or out. They don't want to make a mistake and be vilified for not using the available technology. That will occur in football using VAR.
groenleader12 h, 17 m ago

Football has changed so much over the last 100 years, the speed, the way …Football has changed so much over the last 100 years, the speed, the way its played etc. The VAR brings in peace of mind and quality judgements. As we know betting is very important globally and this will lead, hopefully to everyone know that considered decision was made about how you won or lost your bet!

VAR was used and gave Italy a penalty the other night. The pundits are still arguing whether it was a penalty.
RedLozzer10 h, 6 m ago

VAR was used and gave Italy a penalty the other night. The pundits are …VAR was used and gave Italy a penalty the other night. The pundits are still arguing whether it was a penalty.

There's no need for pundits! I hope the football can be broadcast with just the sound of the crowd, no need for someone's "opinion" on what happening!
they could have cheerleaders and mascots doing a little dance whilst looking at the replays or fans could work on their chants
Who would of thought that even VAR decisions would be debatable lol.

I cant see it getting shelved though. Football is a fast paced sport, so it does need instant decisions without a delay. Cricket and Rudgy both are a stop start sport so VAR works fine for them. In football it needs super fast decision making.
groenleader7 h, 26 m ago

There's no need for pundits! I hope the football can be broadcast with …There's no need for pundits! I hope the football can be broadcast with just the sound of the crowd, no need for someone's "opinion" on what happening!

The pundits on the whole tend to know what they are talking about with the obvious exceptions of Glenn Hoddle, Kevin Keegan, Ian Wright.....
RedLozzer5 m ago

The pundits on the whole tend to know what they are talking about with the …The pundits on the whole tend to know what they are talking about with the obvious exceptions of Glenn Hoddle, Kevin Keegan, Ian Wright.....

I wager some games in the world Cup will descend into farce given the use of VAR. VAR will Imho be the main thing remembered from the 2018world cup. People will say that it needs to be given time. I believe it won't work with football. Keep the use of technology to a minimum for whether the ball crossed the line etc. In addition, dodgy decisions are what makes football so entertaining.....
RedLozzer1 h, 24 m ago

I wager some games in the world Cup will descend into farce given the use …I wager some games in the world Cup will descend into farce given the use of VAR. VAR will Imho be the main thing remembered from the 2018world cup. People will say that it needs to be given time. I believe it won't work with football. Keep the use of technology to a minimum for whether the ball crossed the line etc. In addition, dodgy decisions are what makes football so entertaining.....

Not a fan then?
RedLozzer1 h, 30 m ago

In addition, dodgy decisions are what makes football so entertaining.....

Really? I can't say I found this very entertaining if I'm being honest.

Agreed, the notion that incorrect decisions keep the game exciting is completely nonsense and ludicrous.

Exciting football for me is seeing Mahrez turn defenders inside out or seeing my team win the league when it is completely unexpected.

Can't say I've ever been excited about a contentious decision that I couldn't wait to see on MOTD later on!
deeky29th Mar

Really? I can't say I found this very entertaining if I'm being …Really? I can't say I found this very entertaining if I'm being honest.[Video]

We really could do with a resident football expert on here. One respected by all, and able to present their opinion as indisputable fact.
deeky29th Mar

Not a fan then?

Obviously, not as much as you sir.
Towelie29th Mar

Agreed, the notion that incorrect decisions keep the game exciting is …Agreed, the notion that incorrect decisions keep the game exciting is completely nonsense and ludicrous. Exciting football for me is seeing Mahrez turn defenders inside out or seeing my team win the league when it is completely unexpected. Can't say I've ever been excited about a contentious decision that I couldn't wait to see on MOTD later on!

I may be a little older than you.
Do it as they do with cricket/tennis. Bring it in with 2 appeals for each team. Team captains can call for VAR when they think the ref is wrong and there is a break in play. Unsuccessful appeals use a strike.
VAR is a good thing. It works in rugby and cricket (2 entirely differently paced sports) why not football. There s nothing wrong to introduce a system that allows referees to use technology to assist them in their decision making. To me it's daft that it's not in place properly already.

So what if a 90 minute game gets an extra 5 10 mins for correct decisions to be made. Now if they could only claim those extra minutes back from the theatrical injury nonsense witnessed in nearly every match, football would be headed in the right direction.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 4th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants