Various water saving services - FREE

Posted 27th Apr
Probably posted before, but thought I'd share anyway. Most water companies offer water saving freebies/services. These vary from region to region, but are summarised on this handy website:

reducereuserecycle.co.uk/gre…php

I just ordered various items from Severn Trent. All completely free and free p&p.

Hope this helps others.
Community Updates
Megathread

Groups

7 Comments
Most at least of this is BS
Thames water least do however offer a reduction

hotukdeals.com/dea…107
Nice re post, Just to add some info.
What about watersure and water help. ( Thames water ).
Most water companies off said schemes.
One to cap water meter charges if on certain benefits and or 3 or more kids.
Water help, help for old or disabled people on low income.
After talking to Thames Water for my friend it looks like it could be upto 75% off her bill. Was 50%.
More than this, we can change personal habits to save far more water. Quicker showers, not washing outer clothing after it has touched you just once for a few hours (unless you engaged in physical activity), delaying car washing, perhaps not taking a shower daily if you are stuck at home, etc.
Good point on bathing and clothes washing.
If at home in lockdown, use the young boy’s method for clothes.
Pick up off the floor sniff it and if it does not burn the hairs from your nose you can wear it again before washing.
For pants turn back to front for day 2 and inside out day 3 then turn around for day 4, perfect.
( just joking with pants ).
I still get in the bath second after the wife, I smell like a tart afterwards but saves water.
Plus on my birthday she lets me in at the same time. Yippee.
When I was young mum put all 3 of us kids in the bath at once and when we got older one after the other.
Worked fine.
For showers, turn on get your body wet and turn off.
Then wash and shampoo and turn it on to rinse off.
It kept my water bill on a meter to under £20 a month,
Modern 'water saving' Push button toilet cisterns are turning out to be a bane.

I used to be able to service all parts of the big ball valve type with a handle myself. But these piston units are inscrutable. So, both of our same-brand cisterns will nowadays trickle water after flushing if not operated very firmly and by using the 'big flush' not the water saving one. I've tried soaking the mechanisms in de-scaling chemicals to no avail. The fix will be to completely replace the cistern innards which will mean removing the entire cistern, the bolts of which look rusted up. Also I'll need to find exactly the right parts kit, not easy when the cistern doesn't have a proper model number.

Would get plumber but missus has banned all tradesmen for now due to distancing concerns. Also the good plumbers around here look askance at small jobs like this, they prefer bigger projects. There are of course the call-out cowboys who want £100+ for an hours work.

Does my water co have a service to help me with the above? Does it heck.
harrythefish28/04/2020 08:03

Modern 'water saving' Push button toilet cisterns are turning out to be a …Modern 'water saving' Push button toilet cisterns are turning out to be a bane.I used to be able to service all parts of the big ball valve type with a handle myself. But these piston units are inscrutable. So, both of our same-brand cisterns will nowadays trickle water after flushing if not operated very firmly and by using the 'big flush' not the water saving one. I've tried soaking the mechanisms in de-scaling chemicals to no avail. The fix will be to completely replace the cistern innards which will mean removing the entire cistern, the bolts of which look rusted up. Also I'll need to find exactly the right parts kit, not easy when the cistern doesn't have a proper model number.Would get plumber but missus has banned all tradesmen for now due to distancing concerns. Also the good plumbers around here look askance at small jobs like this, they prefer bigger projects. There are of course the call-out cowboys who want £100+ for an hours work.Does my water co have a service to help me with the above? Does it heck.

I’ve always found those split big flush little flush systems are terrible and end up doing the same trickle. I replaced it for a single button, Never had an issue since. They are quite easy to swap out. It can be sometimes the water is filling too fast if you have local isolation try gagging it back
Had the toilet replaced 3 year ago.
The replacement is 3 inches taller and has an up or down flush handle.
Up for full flust and down for small flush.
So far no issues, Does fill with a rush of water.
But thats fine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions