varnish chip board to stop mould?

You know the chip board you get on the back of cheap wardrobes and other furniture, well the issue I find is they can often soak in moisture a grow mould, I now avoid owning furniture like this and control moisture, but some avoidable items I own still have sections of the board. Could I paint on some £1 poundland clear varnish so the moisture cant get into the wood woul it work?

13 Comments

Should work, however you'd have to be careful when applying it as it warps easily.

Original Poster

joedastudd

Should work, however you'd have to be careful when applying it as it … Should work, however you'd have to be careful when applying it as it warps easily.

I have a board about twice the size of A4 any tips of stopping it warping? Paint on thin, in sections, any idea it will be flat on table when I do it, its a loose board atm?

As far as I know the pound shop varnish is yacht varnish, paint it on flat and you will not have any problems with warping, bare in mind that it takes a long time to dry. When I am varnishing with yacht varnish on small pieces like that I put them in the oven at the lowest setting for a couple of hours. Works a treat but some might object.
Edited by: "Argoj" 23rd Nov 2016

i think your issue is with damp in the house not with the furniture.
put some heating on and air the place out.

Original Poster

Argoj

As far as I know the pound shop varnish is yacht varnish, paint it on … As far as I know the pound shop varnish is yacht varnish, paint it on flat and you will not have any problems with warping, bare in mind that it takes a long time to dry. When I am varnishing with yacht varnish on small pieces like that I put them in the oven at the lowest setting for a couple of hours. Works a treat but some might object.

in this instance where its purely to stop moisture getting in and therefore visually I dont care about the finish would one coat normally be sufficent suppose it depends how thick its applied? It want instance if any would you do a number of coats?

Original Poster

HamanBasher

i think your issue is with damp in the house not with the furniture.put … i think your issue is with damp in the house not with the furniture.put some heating on and air the place out.

Sorted that, I'm just future proofing any new items as I have mould allergy.

Buy some vc175... Mix it with water or some waterbased varnish. Waterbased paint. And brush on. Google it. Amazon and ebay sell it

potatokid

in this instance where its purely to stop moisture getting in and … in this instance where its purely to stop moisture getting in and therefore visually I dont care about the finish would one coat normally be sufficent suppose it depends how thick its applied? It want instance if any would you do a number of coats?

I would put a minimum of two but if it looks sealed after one stop there.

Original Poster

wayners

Buy some vc175... Mix it with water or some waterbased varnish. … Buy some vc175... Mix it with water or some waterbased varnish. Waterbased paint. And brush on. Google it. Amazon and ebay sell it

never knew antimould paint additives existed thanks, that will def come in use

Original Poster

Argoj

I would put a minimum of two but if it looks sealed after one stop there.

thanks

I would use watered down PVA glue to seal it.

Original Poster

g1bbuk

I would use watered down PVA glue to seal it.

I believe mould can grow on glue, for example book lice/mite insects are called book lice/mite as they often live in books, they feed on the mould which grows of the glue of the book binding.

I believe varnish is "traditionally a combination of a drying oil, a resin, and a thinner or solvent" possibly diiferent to glue I don't know tbh.

That poundland varnish (151 brand I think) will take ages (and ages) to dry. Much longer than any other polyurethane varnish I've used. Plus the smell is probably the worst thing of all.
To be short - I'd avoid using it.
As others have said, get some exterior wood glue/pva, and use it watered down. eg: toolstation.com/sho…lue
Or I've used the anti mould paint on things in the bathroom and kitchen - and they're still fine. I think it was from Lidl or Aldi - they also do a spray can.
Edited by: "buddhabelly" 23rd Nov 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Can you change the battery on the newer style Oral B 4000 toothbrush?710
    2. First time leasing help needed!410
    3. Need a new Divan bed asap44
    4. Any good Xbox One Kinect Games for kids?44

See more discussions