Varnish question

Posted 10th May
why do u get these patches on my door that the varnish looks like it isn't applied I have rubber the whole door down and varnished it but some places look like the varnish isn't applied too it even though it is it just stays really light like the wood is bare.

I have rubbed these areas abit more second time and it's still the same.
3460536-SudoQ.jpg3460536-2GiIi.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
It kinda looks like there's been a greasy mark or a bit of tape or something covering those spots then the door has been wood stained, then whatever it was rubbed off leaving an unwood stained mark.

If that's the case the only way you'll get rid of it is by sanding the old varnish off, re-wood staining the door then varnishing. I assume you're using clear varnish right now and not a coloured varnish.
Clear varnish over previous varnish does not get rid of any marks that were under the original coat of varnish. You have to take the door back to bare and restart everything again.
Also you should really wipe doors down with white spirit and a rag before staining/varnishing/painting - especially varnished wooden doors as you can't really see the grease/dirt compared to a white door.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 10th May
Not too sure if there was a stain on it I got it from a shop, and sanded it down and applied a very light coloured varnish, the door was oak. It looks nice but them few spots I am not sure what happened there. must be some thing on it then. It was a solid oak door I thought it has Thad anything done too it.
Is it a cheap door? If the wood is just a thin veneer then you may have sanded through the veneer entirely and it's the backing material showing.
Looks like wood glue under the varnish?
EndlessWaves10/05/2020 18:00

Is it a cheap door? If the wood is just a thin veneer then you may have …Is it a cheap door? If the wood is just a thin veneer then you may have sanded through the veneer entirely and it's the backing material showing.

No its solid oak door.
MynameisM10/05/2020 17:27

Not too sure if there was a stain on it I got it from a shop, and sanded …Not too sure if there was a stain on it I got it from a shop, and sanded it down and applied a very light coloured varnish, the door was oak. It looks nice but them few spots I am not sure what happened there. must be some thing on it then. It was a solid oak door I thought it has Thad anything done too it.

It could be the oil from the wood then if it's real wood and the varnish/colouring hasn't took to it. Unfortunately if that's the case I don't think there's much you can do about it. If I was doing it white I'd put knotting solution on those bits and it would hold it in but apart from that it's just one of the cons of having real wood. There was obviously a residue of some kind on those bits and the varnish hasn't took to like the rest
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 10th May
Sometimes you can hide with felt tip / furniture pen - go careful.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions