Varying flight prices? Help please.

Found 20th Feb
Hi all. I have been looking at prices for flights to South Africa in December via Skyscanner.
However, when I search early afternoon the prices are coming up far cheaper than the same search in the early evening!
Is this normal? I don't travel very often at all but just find it very strange. It's a substantial price difference per ticket (over £200).
Just would like to know if this is normal (ie should I time my booking to get the best price)?
Hope someone can shed some light on it for me.
Community Updates
AskTravel
9 Comments
Listened to a travel show about this. Its an art to get a good price.. Some are so good at finding the best prices they make money booking flights for people. I have a few mates that fly regularly and they sign up direct and book direct with the different airlines, so that will be a good place to start. Same with hotels as you often find good deals going direct
Edited by: "wayners" 20th Feb
Yes it is normal also if a lot of people are searching for the same dates then they put up the price. If the same IP address repeatedly does the same search it appears that they put up the price.

Suggest you set up an alert in skyscanner and if you flexible with dates and airports that helps. I have found that traveling midweek at unsocial hours gives you the best prices. Also, consider a stopover which may be a lot cheaper somewhere in the Middle East or Istanbul.

Have a look at holiday pirates who may come up with a cheaper flight.
Edited by: "sydney871" 20th Feb
Prices normally change at 3pm each day. That said during the day they flex with demand, the more you search the higher the prices, the more people that book the higher the prices too. There’s a lot of factors. Remembering to delete your cookies on your browser can help also.
Original Poster
Thanks guys. Really struggling to try and get the best price available but seems so odd that the cost can change so much in just a few hours!
Looked into booking direct, unfortunately far more than skyscanner could find.
Got plenty of time to search still so hopefully will get a bargain.
chuckiedoll11 h, 36 m ago

Thanks guys. Really struggling to try and get the best price available but …Thanks guys. Really struggling to try and get the best price available but seems so odd that the cost can change so much in just a few hours!Looked into booking direct, unfortunately far more than skyscanner could find. Got plenty of time to search still so hopefully will get a bargain.

Since you are going in December hopefully outside the Christmas period I would wait for the sales from the big airlines then decide.
Original Poster
sydney8715 h, 39 m ago

Since you are going in December hopefully outside the Christmas period I …Since you are going in December hopefully outside the Christmas period I would wait for the sales from the big airlines then decide.

We're looking at going over just before xmas (Literally a few days) as we need it to be within school xmas holiday.
chuckiedoll5 h, 34 m ago

We're looking at going over just before xmas (Literally a few days) as we …We're looking at going over just before xmas (Literally a few days) as we need it to be within school xmas holiday.

That’s why you are struggling, it’s a peak time. They don’t have to discount those fares very much to make people buy them and they will be fully booked by the time of flight. Good deals are only offered on flights outside of peak times or where there is still a large amount of availability!
Original Poster
cmdr_elito1 h, 27 m ago

That’s why you are struggling, it’s a peak time. They don’t have to disco …That’s why you are struggling, it’s a peak time. They don’t have to discount those fares very much to make people buy them and they will be fully booked by the time of flight. Good deals are only offered on flights outside of peak times or where there is still a large amount of availability!

I know! Christmas is not the most ideal time to travel if looking for a good deal but unfortunately we are restricted by having to do it outside of term-time and ASAP.
Just got very confused as to how I am getting such varied prices for flights when searching early afternoon vs evening.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions