VAT question

Found 17th Jul 2012
I've requested VAT receipts from Carphone Warehouse for some recent purchases, but they say they don't provide them. All they've quoted me is their VAT number. However, as far as I understand it, if a VAT-registered business requests a VAT receipt from a retailer, they are legally bound to supply one. Can anyone who's VAT registered clarify? Cheers.
Community Updates
Misc
4 Comments
hmrc.gov.uk/vat…htm

When a VAT invoice must be issued

If you are registered for VAT you must give any VAT-registered customers a VAT invoice for any standard-rated or reduced-rated goods or services you sell them.

If you are a retailer, you do not need to issue a VAT invoice or receipt unless your customer asks for one.

As a VAT-registered supplier, you may be liable to a fine if you do not issue a VAT invoice for a supply you have made when asked to do so by a VAT-registered customer.

There is a time limit within which VAT invoices must be issued – see the section in this guide on time limits for issuing VAT invoices.

Edited by: "Alfonse" 17th Jul 2012
Alfonse

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/charging/vat-invoices.htmWhen a VAT … http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/charging/vat-invoices.htmWhen a VAT invoice must be issuedIf you are registered for VAT you must give any VAT-registered customers a VAT invoice for any standard-rated or reduced-rated goods or services you sell them.If you are a retailer, you do not need to issue a VAT invoice or receipt unless your customer asks for one.As a VAT-registered supplier, you may be liable to a fine if you do not issue a VAT invoice for a supply you have made when asked to do so by a VAT-registered customer.There is a time limit within which VAT invoices must be issued – see the section in this guide on time limits for issuing VAT invoices.

Well that's what I thought. But then I can't believe a big company like CPW would deliberately ignore the law? Perhaps someone has some experience in trying to obtain VAT receipts themselves from CPW?
whizzkid

Well that's what I thought. But then I can't believe a big company like … Well that's what I thought. But then I can't believe a big company like CPW would deliberately ignore the law? Perhaps someone has some experience in trying to obtain VAT receipts themselves from CPW?

Get what they are saying in writing, tell them of their responsibility under UK Tax Law, and if they don't adhere, send the evidence to the Inland Revenue, I'm sure they would be very interested.
Yeah, someone found a similar problem with Apple in this article here
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions