Vat receipt from Argos

Found 13th Oct 2017
I made in-store purchase at Argos couple days ago. I asked for a VAT receipt but the store manager said he does not know how to generate one. Contacted Argos help desk online and was told that the receipt can only be obtained at the store. Went to the store again yesterday, but the same manager insisted that he does not know how to do it. He did gave me a credit note which showed the breakdown of item cost and vat, saying that's all he could do.

I am not sure if it is of any help to me. Could anyone please let me know what are my options here are?

TIA,
RP.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Why do you need a VAT receipt, the ones he gave you should be fin
Fine *
I run a business and it's a pain, although it's not the end of the word. You can contact them for a VAT receipt.

How can I get a VAT receipt?
Contact our helpful Customer Services people - they'll be happy to send you a VAT receipt. Just remember to include your order number... or you'll make them sad.

hethekid26 m ago

Fine *

Needed the vat receipt to claim it back at the airport.
windym12 m ago

I run a business and it's a pain, although it's not the end of the word. …I run a business and it's a pain, although it's not the end of the word. You can contact them for a VAT receipt.How can I get a VAT receipt? Contact our helpful Customer Services people - they'll be happy to send you a VAT receipt. Just remember to include your order number... or you'll make them sad.

Contacted them...just to get told the vat receipt can only be obtained at the store for in-store purchases.
A VAT receipt is not what you need for claiming at the airport. All retail stores do have a special form to claim your tax back. But to be eligible for this you need to be a resident of a non EU country.
AFAIK a business is obliged to supply a VAT receipt on request, which is why most businesses have their receipts structured to act as a VAT receipt.
I’ve worked at Argos couple of years ago. The Tax refund receipt is generated via the till. How can he not know this? Are you SURE he’s the manager?

VAT receipts for businesses are normally hand written on to a VAT note pad.
The receipt has a vat number on it.

Therefore it is a VAT receipt. HM Revenue & Customs will not argue with it, your employer should not argue with it.

Whats the problem?
If you run a Business and your Vat Registered then you have to supply a VAT receipt and charge VAT on your Invoices / Receipts, likewise said Business also needs a VAT Receipt on Purchases in order to Claim (Offset) there VAT back.

Technically you cannot claim back any VAT without a VAT Receipt on your purchases, a VAT number, Credit Note breakdown or what ever is not proof of the amount of VAT you have paid and are trying to claim back through the business, thats how the VAT merry go round works. If the Vat Man should find out and wont's to get arse'y about it he will not allow the claim to happen and the Business's will be out of pocket.

If I bought something from a VAT registered Business and the cost included a VAT element, if they cant provide or send me a VAT receipt then I can within my rights to refuse to pay them the VAT amount on the said the goods or services.

I thought Argos now send all there Receipts out now via email at time of purchase.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants