VAT to be scrapped on e-publications from 1st May

Posted 30th Apr
Brought forward from later in the year. Hopefully someone will tell Comixology so I can afford to buy a comic again.

gov.uk/gov…ons
Community Updates

Groups

8 Comments
Let's hope Amazon passes the saving on and expect Kindle books to be reduced from 99p to 79p...

But, for the love of God I hope someone doesn't start posting them as deals :(.
IamMT30/04/2020 17:02

Let's hope Amazon passes the saving on and expect Kindle books to be …Let's hope Amazon passes the saving on and expect Kindle books to be reduced from 99p to 79p...But, for the love of God I hope someone doesn't start posting them as deals :(.

The deal is that they will punch you in the face rather than kick you in the knackers
No reductions at all on comixology so far
Will my e-newspaper subscription reduce?
harrythefish01/05/2020 15:13

Will my e-newspaper subscription reduce?

It should but I haven't seen any price cuts. My understanding is that some newspapers (e.g. the Times) were already structured so as to avoid paying VAT anyway, with no benefit to their readers.
Saw somewhere about this last night - Amazon have said they will reduce the prices on items they control the price of. A lot of publishers controls the price of their items, so they won't change. If Amazon control it, then it will reduce.
alg01/05/2020 16:15

Saw somewhere about this last night - Amazon have said they will reduce …Saw somewhere about this last night - Amazon have said they will reduce the prices on items they control the price of. A lot of publishers controls the price of their items, so they won't change. If Amazon control it, then it will reduce.

I had a pair of books by the same author reduced by 17% this morning and another two since then which suggests that it is being rolled out publisher by publisher. There's also a comics deal where lots of comics were reduced overnight and that would suggest that Amazon were selling them for the £ equivalent of the $ price and then knocked the VAT off.
Looks like a price drop across the board at Comixology. Everything is rounded to end in a 9 (e.g. 99p now 79p) but the era of everything ending in 99p is over at least for now. This seems fair to me with an exchange rate of £1 = $1.25.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions