Expired

Vauxhall Astra 1.7 Diesel or 1.4 Petrol

Found 18th Mar 2014
I am on the verge of purchasing a 2005 plate Vauxhall Astra. However, I am slightly in doubt onto which one to go for a 1.7 Diesel or a 1.4 Petrol. Can anyone give any advice? I will be doing a lot of local mileage as well as travelling 30 miles everyday on the motorway. Which option would be the best? And also maintenance wise and cost?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskDieselPetrolVauxhall
15 Comments
I would go for the diesel, no contest , also aren't diesels actually better for the environment than petrol?
jonnyd24

I would go for the diesel, no contest , also aren't diesels actually … I would go for the diesel, no contest , also aren't diesels actually better for the environment than petrol?

The way that most astra diesels are maintained, no.
matt3454

The way that most astra diesels are maintained, no.

This is what I have heard that astra diesels are very unreliable and cause a lot of problems. Can anyone clarify this? This was after doing some research when I came to a conclusion of this. People that have an astra 05 diesel please can you give any light to this?
HotUKDeals thread - Petrol vs diesel

Again I mention it depends on total mileage, cost of outlay etc etc - diesels are more economical if serviced/maintained and your not "heavy footed" but there is an environmental issue to take into consideration.

But whilst most of the USA, most of Asia, South Americas etc have very little environmental concerns regarding global warming/climate change and gas guzzling or poorly maintained vehicles - I do not consider our vehicles (diesels) to be that much of an issue (there's only approx 63 million UK population compared to billions in the rest).
Nearly 10 year old car then petrols generally give less problems, Well maintained diesel would be ok but more to go wrong.
shauneco

Nearly 10 year old car then petrols generally give less problems, Well … Nearly 10 year old car then petrols generally give less problems, Well maintained diesel would be ok but more to go wrong.

Hmm I just don't want anything to go wrong to be honest haha
I'm currently oohing and aahing about buying a 08 plate ford galaxy which is a automatic....

still not sure wether auto is,better or manual from a economical point of view. will mainly be doing local driving with maybe 5 trips to London a year....

I think its a 6 speed auto gearbox if that makes a difference..

test drive them which ever feels better to drive overall cost wise on fuel will be what it is. I have 2 diesel cars and generally find them better than the petrol I have had also its an option to look at biodiesel if somewhere sells it. At the end of the day a car can go wrong so pick the car you like and feel comfy in I take it they have different specs.?
I have the Diesel 1.7cdti its an 04 plate but the newer 05 shape. I got stitched up with a head gasket failure one and it was going to cost well over a £1000 plus to fix but luckily my uncle did it dirt cheap. Because of the fault I researched more and found that the 1.7 is a solid engine they don't go wrong its the 1.9cdti that has endless problems. Major thing with the 1.7 is the water pipes they crack or can pop off which wrecks the engine there is no temperature display except on the radio so you don't know anything is wrong until the engine pops. The 1.4 would be gutless with all that weight and you would be thrashing it all the time. The 1.7 engine is a really noisey tappy engine. I like the turbo pull and if you wanted a bit more juice later you can gain 30hp by adding a device or getting it re-mapped properly.
EN1GMA

I'm currently oohing and aahing about buying a 08 plate ford galaxy which … I'm currently oohing and aahing about buying a 08 plate ford galaxy which is a automatic....still not sure wether auto is,better or manual from a economical point of view. will mainly be doing local driving with maybe 5 trips to London a year....I think its a 6 speed auto gearbox if that makes a difference..

The Galaxy Auto box is terrible and problematic, The 6 speed manual is the best. easy 50+MPG in auto lucky if you get 40mpg on long run.
tezray

I have the Diesel 1.7cdti its an 04 plate but the newer 05 shape. I got … I have the Diesel 1.7cdti its an 04 plate but the newer 05 shape. I got stitched up with a head gasket failure one and it was going to cost well over a £1000 plus to fix but luckily my uncle did it dirt cheap. Because of the fault I researched more and found that the 1.7 is a solid engine they don't go wrong its the 1.9cdti that has endless problems. Major thing with the 1.7 is the water pipes they crack or can pop off which wrecks the engine there is no temperature display except on the radio so you don't know anything is wrong until the engine pops. The 1.4 would be gutless with all that weight and you would be thrashing it all the time. The 1.7 engine is a really noisey tappy engine. I like the turbo pull and if you wanted a bit more juice later you can gain 30hp by adding a device or getting it re-mapped properly.

Thanks for the reply. A friend of mine had the 1.7 05 plate astra and he turbo went faulty cost him a lot to fix. I just don't want little issues occurring.
Ive put 120000 miles on my vectra 1.9 cdti 150 bhp.
Apart from springs which it eats 1/2 a year.
Its been a very nice car.
Mine is auto i get 25/30 around town.
But on a motoway i get 50+ to the gallon
From what i have read the 1.7 is a good engine.
The main issues with any diesel are
1 Camb belt vauxhall £209.00 good price
2 Battery need a go one.To start it on a cold day.
3 Glow plugs.
Edited by: "bigwheels" 18th Mar 2014
In relation to point on diesels being less polluting:Diesels emit vast amounts of NOx which is bad and causes damage at the point of emission. So if you emit NOx outside a school all the children get damaged right there!

One of the big reasons against diesels in the USA has always been the NOx issue, esp. if you are sitting in traffic on city streets.

Its only now starting to become something people else where are being made of.
Edited by: "groenleader" 18th Mar 2014
I wanted a Vectra apparently you need to get above an 04 plate because the engine before has bad flaps or something and other issues but otherwise really specced out and comfy and reliable. To be honest if my uncle did not do the work my car was not worth repairing i was looking at £1200 - £1600 to do a head gasket plus cambelt needed doing I have found as soon as you say diesel to a garage they say oh that will be double the price of a petrol then. My uncle did head gasket, cambelt and filters and oil etc for £400 all in I was very lucky I knew someone otherwise it nearly put me off diesels forever as petrol is a lot cheaper to repair.
tezray

I wanted a Vectra apparently you need to get above an 04 plate because … I wanted a Vectra apparently you need to get above an 04 plate because the engine before has bad flaps or something and other issues but otherwise really specced out and comfy and reliable. To be honest if my uncle did not do the work my car was not worth repairing i was looking at £1200 - £1600 to do a head gasket plus cambelt needed doing I have found as soon as you say diesel to a garage they say oh that will be double the price of a petrol then. My uncle did head gasket, cambelt and filters and oil etc for £400 all in I was very lucky I knew someone otherwise it nearly put me off diesels forever as petrol is a lot cheaper to repair.

I think you have that the wrong way round

Pre 54 has 2.0 dti chain driven not fast or powerfull but very good car.As long as
you clean out the egr valve a 20 min job for even a dummy like me.
4 bolts carb cleaner and tooth brush.
After 2004 goes to a 1.9 cdti with flap probs.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions