Vauxhall Astra Limited Edition - Can it make voice activated calls? [EDIT - Can Oneplus One work via Bluetooth with Astra?]

Found 31st May 2015
All the research I have done infers you can press the button on the right hand side of the steering wheel (hold it down - the one with the phone symbol) and you can then say "Call" and say a name.

However, when I hold this phone button down on the steering wheel, I get "Redial" if I hold it for a short period of time - and a list of my most recent calls if I hold it for a long period of time.

I cannot get the car to even initiate any form of voice command - there is no beep or anything. The manual is for all Astras and not all Astras all the features which doesn't help.

I'm wondering if this car even has this feature - the sales guide says it has a bluetooth enabled mobile phone system though.

I can accept calls via the steering wheel already.
I can't even get a 'contact list' - only the phone numbers I have most recently called, to be displayed.
I have tried on a Nexus 4 (intermittent Bluetooth connection..) and a Moto G 2nd Gen which at least has a stable Bluetooth connection.
Anyone else got any ideas?

astraownersnetwork.co.uk/arc…tml
There was a discussion here that inferred it was possible but I can't work it out. I seem to have tried every combination possible so I'm wondering whether the feature just does not exist.

It's a 15' plate Astra Limited Edition 1.6 if that makes any difference.

Thanks all.
Community Updates
10 Comments
It's likely to be dependent on which entertainment unit (satnav/radio etc.) you've got. I'm not familiar with the Opel/GM ones but that's the direction I'd be searching. A quick check on the Vauxhall site suggests the Astra gets at least three units that are probably bluetooth compatible (CD 400 Plus, Nav 650, Nav 950 Intellilink). It wouldn't be at all surprising if they offered different features, if not all of them could pull the contacts list or posses voice activation technology.
EndlessWaves

It's likely to be dependent on which entertainment unit (satnav/radio … It's likely to be dependent on which entertainment unit (satnav/radio etc.) you've got. I'm not familiar with the Opel/GM ones but that's the direction I'd be searching. A quick check on the Vauxhall site suggests the Astra gets at least three units that are probably bluetooth compatible (CD 400 Plus, Nav 650, Nav 950 Intellilink). It wouldn't be at all surprising if they offered different features, if not all of them could pull the contacts list or posses voice activation technology.

This one doesn't have a SatNav (but obviously a radio) - and it definitely does have bluetooth as the car settings let me pair the phone with the car via bluetooth. Voice activated "Call [Home]" for example can't seem to be done - but if it can pair with bluetooth, it would be thought that it could do the above....
Just typed "vauxhall astra voice calls bluetooth" into google and there are lots of pdf documents of phone compatibility with astras, so it may be that your phones can only access certain things.
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/Home/pdf/mobile_phone_compatibility/aug2014/mobile-phones-compatible-with-ampera-astra-insignia-meriva-mokka-zafira-tourer-cascada.pdf
Nexus 4 has very poor conectivity - Call via infotainment HMI is not posible.
Incoming call can be accept and reject only via phone.

Edited by: "MIDURIX" 1st Jun 2015
MIDURIX

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/Home/pdf/mobile_phone_compatibility/aug2014/mobile-phones-compatible-with-ampera-astra-insignia-meriva-mokka-zafira-tourer-cascada.pdfNexus 4 has very poor conectivity - Call via infotainment HMI is not posible.Incoming call can be accept and reject only via phone.

Thanks for that. That's a real shame
Although I can seem to accept incoming calls via steering wheel - maybe because it is a newer Android version than that document (August 2014) - I guess that means it's not me at fault! Other people must have had this problem - it's a popular phone! - so maybe someone got an app workaround? After all, it seems more of a software issue (bar some weak connectivity)

Otherwise it's a new phone time!
Firefly1

but if it can pair with bluetooth, it would be thought that it could do … but if it can pair with bluetooth, it would be thought that it could do the above....

Bluetooth has lots of different profiles just like USB. Your TV might have a USB port but it will only only support USB storage. You couldn't connect a USB printer up to it and print out what was on screen. A bluetooth connection doesn't guarantee the computing device it's connected to will support all possible bluetooth functionality.
Talking on the phone whilst driving has been proven to be as distracting and dangerous as being drunk or on drugs.....DONT DO IT !!!!! if you need to make a call pull over to a safe spot and make your call then....
EndlessWaves

Bluetooth has lots of different profiles just like USB. Your TV might … Bluetooth has lots of different profiles just like USB. Your TV might have a USB port but it will only only support USB storage. You couldn't connect a USB printer up to it and print out what was on screen. A bluetooth connection doesn't guarantee the computing device it's connected to will support all possible bluetooth functionality.

I kind of understand what you are saying - but the car itself does have the blue tooth functionality to make phone calls via the car steering wheel.
The phone also has this functionality, in terms of designed to allow it to interact with a cars bluetooth.

It's a problem with the integration of the two sets of software - both have been designed to do what I am expecting it to do albeit they can't get their systems to work together. Therefore I would have hoped for a specific piece of software to help fix this.

Edited by: "Firefly1" 1st Jun 2015
MIDURIX

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/Home/pdf/mobile_phone_compatibility/aug2014/mobile-phones-compatible-with-ampera-astra-insignia-meriva-mokka-zafira-tourer-cascada.pdfNexus 4 has very poor conectivity - Call via infotainment HMI is not posible.Incoming call can be accept and reject only via phone.

Doesn't seem to include the OnePlus One on that list (or any that I could find) - and that seems the phone to upgrade to at the moment Would just be my luck to get a second phone with the same problem
Bump - on the off chance somebody both owns a Oneplus One and an Astra and know whether they work together...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants