Vauxhall astra Limp home

Found 29th Jan 2015
Got an astra 04 1.7d when we are on the moterway at speed goes into limp home mode then after a while goes back to normal. this can happen several times in a journey. Also resets if you switch the engine off.
Community Updates
AskVauxhall
19 Comments
You need to get the code/s the car will have kept scanned by someone / garage to see what is causing the limp mode
Note: The codes can remove itself if it does not occur after X amount of turning on/off the engine so sooner the better in terms of getting it scanned.
Could be anything from clogged up filters to ECU issues (very common issue in Vauxhalls) but at this point, it would be a complete guess without error codes
I have this problem with the wife after 10 years together..
Musician

I have this problem with the wife after 10 years together..

dont blame her for your limp...:p
If your emission light has come on, then this sounds like a dpf fault which will need a re-gen
Get a code reader for around £15 on amazon - that will give you the fault code to look up

code readers

On these the cam/ crankshaft sensors are a common fault
if it was crank shaft sensor it would normally cut out, I had my egr valve cleaned and that sorted my limp problem, mines a 1.7cdti 54 plate.
Astral 04 plate doesn't have a dpf that I'm aware of, I've had my crank shaft sensor replaced and that's because it kept cutting out not limp mode, I'd get egr cleaned as a starter.
I had a 2003 astra which had a similar problem. It was the either the EGR valve or the ECU it was one of them cant remember as it was 8-9 years ago.
Does it go into limp at around 70MPH usually when ur easing off the accelerator? Same thing happened and it was my EGR valve, on the 1.7 it cannot be cleaned out completely as its a closed usit and had to be replaced. Its a fiddly job as alot has to be removed to get at it, I got it replaced and a turbo refurbishment for about £500 I had 110000 on the clock.
Edited by: "Donkii" 29th Jan 2015
This has got the Isuzu engine in it, right? Same as the Civic 1.7 ctdi. This model is not known for crank issues, but most commonly the EGR.

How to fix guide:-

3 bolts, remove EGR, Mr Muscle it to within an inch of its life, boiling water through both sides until water runs clear, rinse and repeat. Dry EGR out, bolt back on to car. Laugh at the dealer who wanted £700 to fix it. Sit back, feel smug.
Ok I will try the cleaning method. Just got to locate the egr
darrenlamb1972

Try HERE not sure what year car this is but it may help.
darrenlamb1972

Darren, unless your pretty handy with a motor I really wouldnt, it is in a really awkward place and a few other parts need to be removed to get at it properly. All depends on your level of expertese.
I took it to a garage, cost £30 cash in hand, filthy job! U will probably pay £50 normally.. I'd personally get a garage to do it.
Google astra 04 1.7 pedal test. That should help u find out what the error code is, then go from there. Ps if its a 0300 its a missfire that could be a number of things.
mali41218

Google astra 04 1.7 pedal test. That should help u find out what the … Google astra 04 1.7 pedal test. That should help u find out what the error code is, then go from there. Ps if its a 0300 its a missfire that could be a number of things.

Not too sure of the model of your car mk5/6? But should work regardless
Best getting it diagnosed, The cheap diagnostics readers work well on Vauxhall and will give you a much better idea than us all guessing what might be a problem, Lot's of things can cause similar issues.

Egr common issue, Clean as suggested, Also cap it off with a blanking plate, This may bring the engine management light if so get a blanking plate with a hole in the middle, It reduces the flow of toxic junk coming through you egr. Your car will run much better.

MAF sensor and lambda sensors can cause similar issues too.

Try disconnecting MAF, If it runs better then that might be the problem.

My cars turbo used to clog up ( Required cleaning with MR Muscle ), Since capping my egr my turbo has remained unclogged, All the soot from the egr goes down through the turbo etc..

Edited by: ".MUFC." 30th Jan 2015
EN1GMA

dont blame her for your limp...:p

Still at least my emissions are fine
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants