Expired

Vauxhall Zafira advice, clutch is knocking, any suggestions?

28 replies
Found 4th Nov 2009
Apologies for listing this on there but I figured if anyone can help me, a HUKD'er can, we've listed the problem on Vauxhall Forums to no avail and don't want to be paying for advice as some websites do for the reason stated below.

Basically we have a Vauxhall Zafira Sri which will be 4yrs old next month. It started making a knocking sound when the clutch was pressed right down to the floor, whether in gear or not, as you bring it up it slowly receeds and goes away. The knocking gradually got louder so we took it to our usual car mechanic which is the start of our story.

To cut it short, after 4 weeks we got the car back with a new clutch system and master cylinder as quote "this was the only thing it could be", £650 later (he knocked some off for messing us about and taking so long) we get the car back, day later guess what, the same noise starts all over again.

We've rung the mechanic who said that a new clutch is all that it could be but to bring it back in for him to look at. Now bearing in mind that he had it for 4 weeks the first time and didn't fix it we're reluctant to take it back, but don't really want to take it anywhere else as they are obviously going to charge us for looking at it and we can't afford anymore (couldn't afford the £650).

I am just hoping that someone on here has had this problem previously and may be able to help with what it could be, we're pretty convinced that we didn't need the new clutch in the first place but everyone we ask seems to be at a loss.

PLEASE HELP!!

28 Comments

Banned

regardless of the problem its going to cost

your best bet is to take it back to the guy who "fixed" it and say your not happy spending £650 for it to come back and to fix it properly for nowt

other than that you are going to have to foot the bill

zafiras have always had strange clutches, you'd be better taking it to a vauxhall dealer to look at it, yes it will cost u but at least they're more likely to know what it is!

Banned

in defence of the mechanic, without stripping the car down and spending ages doing so, the only way to diagnose this kind of thing is trial and error

unfortunately trial and error costs money

Original Poster

dimebars;6778488

in defence of the mechanic, without stripping the car down and spending … in defence of the mechanic, without stripping the car down and spending ages doing so, the only way to diagnose this kind of thing is trial and errorunfortunately trial and error costs money

He stripped the car down 3 times!! It's not getting the money back I'm bothered with (although I would've preferred not to spend it in the first place of course), it's more getting some advice as to what the actually knocking is, just wondered if anyone else had had the same problem.

Banned

Annie1508;6778562

He stripped the car down 3 times!!

I meant the whole thing - not just the bit he suspects is causing the problem

Are you sure it is the clutch? I had something similar and was convinced it was the clutch, but turned out to be a heat plate on the exhaust connected to the engine. It still knocks slightly, but nowhere near the way it used to. Apparently it was a vibration issue as the clutch was engaged.

Original Poster

Predikuesi;6778636

Are you sure it is the clutch? I had something similar and was convinced … Are you sure it is the clutch? I had something similar and was convinced it was the clutch, but turned out to be a heat plate on the exhaust connected to the engine. It still knocks slightly, but nowhere near the way it used to. Apparently it was a vibration issue as the clutch was engaged.

I'm not convinced of anything!! Just happens when the clutch pedal is pressed down, is this when it makes the noise on yours? I was hoping it was something like this when we first took it in, thought he'd have it for a day or two and it would cost us around £50 - wishful thinking!!

Sound like the DMF is on the way out

clutch release bearing ????
If clutch noises are noticeable when the clutch is DISENGAGED, the trouble is most likely the clutch release bearing. The bearing is probably either worn, binding, or, in some cases, loses its lubricant. Most clutch release bearings are factory lubricated; A worn pilot bearing may also produce noises when the clutch is disengaged. The worn pilot bearing can let the transmission input shaft and clutch disc vibrate up and down, causing an unusual noise.

^^^ surely the mechanic would have changed this during the clutch / cylinder change.

OP the fact that the mechanic had the car for 4 weeks tells me he is not that competent.

Was it intermittent before the work was carried out or was it every time the clutch was dipped?

Original Poster

Twotellys;6779983

clutch release bearing ????If clutch noises are noticeable when the … clutch release bearing ????If clutch noises are noticeable when the clutch is DISENGAGED, the trouble is most likely the clutch release bearing. The bearing is probably either worn, binding, or, in some cases, loses its lubricant. Most clutch release bearings are factory lubricated; A worn pilot bearing may also produce noises when the clutch is disengaged. The worn pilot bearing can let the transmission input shaft and clutch disc vibrate up and down, causing an unusual noise.

Sorry, I'm female so have to ask, when you say disengaged, do you mean that the clutch pedal isn't pressed down? Basically, it only makes the noise when the clutch is pressed to the floor, as you raise your foot it slowly disappears. Also, forgot to mention, some days it doesn't do it at all whereas others it sounds like somethings going to drop off it's that loud, but mostly it's in the middle.

Also, DEANOS, what's a DMF?

What engine do you have, Vauxhalls have a problem with the DMF (dual mass flywheel) and knocking when clutch down is a sign of it

Original Poster

greg_68;6780027

^^^ surely the mechanic would have changed this during the clutch / … ^^^ surely the mechanic would have changed this during the clutch / cylinder change.OP the fact that the mechanic had the car for 4 weeks tells me he is not that competent.Was it intermittent before the work was carried out or was it every time the clutch was dipped?

Agree with your comments and we're not using him again. He works on his own so the only thing in his defence is that he had things booked in already that he had to do aswell as he didn't think our car would take so long - neither did we.

As above, it does it most of the time when the clutch is pressed down, sometimes louder than others and the odd time it doesn't do it at all.

Original Poster

deanos;6780410

What engine do you have, Vauxhalls have a problem with the DMF (dual mass … What engine do you have, Vauxhalls have a problem with the DMF (dual mass flywheel) and knocking when clutch down is a sign of it

It's a 1.9CDTi Sri, does this tell you what engine it is? We're going to get rid of it when this is sorted as we've had nothing but trouble since we bought it at only 6months old, I don't think the previous owner looked after it very well, but you live and learn. Now just need to decide what to get next that doesn't have the same problems - cyrstal ball anyone? Car was registered Dec 05 and has only done 37k so not exactly been run around the clock!!

OP, let it in:thumbsup:

Annie1508;6780442

It's a 1.9CDTi Sri, does this tell you what engine it is? We're going to … It's a 1.9CDTi Sri, does this tell you what engine it is? We're going to get rid of it when this is sorted as we've had nothing but trouble since we bought it at only 6months old, I don't think the previous owner looked after it very well, but you live and learn. Now just need to decide what to get next that doesn't have the same problems - cyrstal ball anyone? Car was registered Dec 05 and has only done 37k so not exactly been run around the clock!!

Yep 1.9cdti have DMF problems, pretty certain it will be this, ring VX and describe the symptoms pretty sure they will say DMF, its around £700+ to get it changed

Original Poster

deanos;6780508

Yep 1.9cdti have DMF problems, pretty certain it will be this, ring VX … Yep 1.9cdti have DMF problems, pretty certain it will be this, ring VX and describe the symptoms pretty sure they will say DMF, its around £700+ to get it changed

Marvellous!!

the DMF should have been checked when the clutch was removed.

It might be worth finding out if there is a conversion kit for the zafira to replace the dmf with a standard flywheel.

Don't suppose you had the old clutch parts back for inspection?

rattlehead;6782424

the DMF should have been checked when the clutch was removed.

yes certainly should have been if one is fitted & there is a proper procedure for checking these flywheels. the clutch realease bearing is a concentric one, which is hydraulic & dont normaly come with a clutch kit, these are bought as a seperate item, but when we do these type of clutches we always replace the clutch release bearing & check the dmf, because as you know its not a 5 minute job to rip it all out to check things.

why oh why did vauxhall ever gid rid of the old clutch design, you didnt have to take the gearbox out to change the clutch !

Original Poster

jtx;6782904

It might be worth finding out if there is a conversion kit for the zafira … It might be worth finding out if there is a conversion kit for the zafira to replace the dmf with a standard flywheel.Don't suppose you had the old clutch parts back for inspection?

No, mind you we wouldn't have had a clue whether it was OK or not, it was all one farce after another and as I said before, we're not going back to him again but we now want to get rid of the Zafira as it's been too much hassle, we just wonder whether this is something that we need to get sorted before we sell it, if you catch my drift.

I wouldnt bother if you are gonna sell it, just trade it in

Original Poster

deanos;6784524

I wouldnt bother if you are gonna sell it, just trade it in

I think this might be what we'll do, it was just that my conscience was getting the better of me.

I have had the exact same problem with my Zafira which is only 3 years old (but 6 months out of warranty). The knocking sound was evident when the clutch pressed down and as we are going to be driving 400 miles to Cornwall in three days I contacted my local Vauxhalls to ask them to take a look. They were unable to give me an appointment, so I took it to a local garage who have always given outstanding service. They advised that it was probably the Dual Mass Flywheel but would strip the engine down and take a look. It turns out that this does need replacing and I hope to have the car back this evening. The car has only done 37 000 miles!! I contacted Vauxhalls Customer Assistance to complain but was advised that as the car was not in a Vauxhall garage they were unable to assist with costs!! I tried to explain that due to holiday plans I needed to have the car fixed asap and that I was unable to obtain an appointment with my local Vauxhalls Dealership in the required time period. In the last 6 months I have had nothing but trouble with this car, and plan to take the matter further.

Why do people buy Vauxhalls?...especially diesels?

They are money pits.

Original Poster

DMY

I have had the exact same problem with my Zafira which is only 3 years … I have had the exact same problem with my Zafira which is only 3 years old (but 6 months out of warranty). The knocking sound was evident when the clutch pressed down and as we are going to be driving 400 miles to Cornwall in three days I contacted my local Vauxhalls to ask them to take a look. They were unable to give me an appointment, so I took it to a local garage who have always given outstanding service. They advised that it was probably the Dual Mass Flywheel but would strip the engine down and take a look. It turns out that this does need replacing and I hope to have the car back this evening. The car has only done 37 000 miles!! I contacted Vauxhalls Customer Assistance to complain but was advised that as the car was not in a Vauxhall garage they were unable to assist with costs!! I tried to explain that due to holiday plans I needed to have the car fixed asap and that I was unable to obtain an appointment with my local Vauxhalls Dealership in the required time period. In the last 6 months I have had nothing but trouble with this car, and plan to take the matter further.

We got rid of our Zafira after all this as it was just one problem after another. It was the flywheel on our car but we didn't find out until the dipstick of a mechanic who we always took our cars to, had replaced the clutch because he thought that's what the problem was. By the time got it fixed properly it cost us over £750!! Ours had only done a similar mileage too but we never got anything back from Vauxhall I'm afraid, if it's not in warranty they don't want to know.

We changed to a Ford Focus C-Max nearly 2 years ago and have had no problems with it (touch wood). We LOVED our Zafira but I have to say that I don't think we'd have a vauxhall again after all the trouble we had.

Good Luck!!

DMY

I have had the exact same problem with my Zafira which is only 3 years … I have had the exact same problem with my Zafira which is only 3 years old (but 6 months out of warranty). The knocking sound was evident when the clutch pressed down and as we are going to be driving 400 miles to Cornwall in three days I contacted my local Vauxhalls to ask them to take a look. They were unable to give me an appointment, so I took it to a local garage who have always given outstanding service. They advised that it was probably the Dual Mass Flywheel but would strip the engine down and take a look. It turns out that this does need replacing and I hope to have the car back this evening. The car has only done 37 000 miles!! I contacted Vauxhalls Customer Assistance to complain but was advised that as the car was not in a Vauxhall garage they were unable to assist with costs!! I tried to explain that due to holiday plans I needed to have the car fixed asap and that I was unable to obtain an appointment with my local Vauxhalls Dealership in the required time period. In the last 6 months I have had nothing but trouble with this car, and plan to take the matter further.

It's not Vauxhall's fault you're going on holiday and couldn't wait for an appointment.

Inactive

Why do people buy Vauxhalls?...especially diesels?They are money pits.

You say that, my father has a 1.6 diesel, as a company car, its now 3 and a half years old, its done 160,000 miles, and its fine, still does 50mpg, still pulls fine like its brand new infact.

The only thing to have gone wrong with it, in that time is the head gasket went, and little things like washer motor burnt out etc.

The cars been serviced every time it has needed it, due to it being a company car, surprising how well cars last if you look after them properly.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57595
  2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
  3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
  4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions