Found 7th Sep 2010
Hey brahs,

I'm building a new chicken coop. Could you have a look at my plans and see if you think I can improve them at all etc.

PS: Genuine thread, please no trolls.

1. Misc
  2. Chicken
58 Comments

Original Poster Banned

http://urbanchickens.org/files/images/Bryce_s-Chicken-Coop.jpg

Banned

generally i think it looks quite cool

nice, i would live in that

wow thats fab

Where's the Playboy Mansion Jacuzzi brah?

Also is that a book shelf behind that main door?
Edited by: "DarkKnight" 7th Sep 2010

needs a bit more pimping

Original Poster Banned

I'm going to build it myself at the weekend hopefully.

DarkKnight

Where's the Playboy Mansion Jacuzzi brah?

he is still working on that X) Give him time - a master at his work shouldnt be rushed you know!

please make sure you put some low perches in. Chickens like perches

How many chooks u thinking of getting - will u let them roam around in your house and cosy up beside u on the sofa?

What roofing material you going to use? I'd recommend onduline rather than felt as Chicken Mite will love breeding under the felt,

and is it open fronted between the run and coop? it looks as though you may have just chicken wire, you could do with something more solid for warmth over winter.

Lay slabs around the outside to stop foxes burrowing.

Original Poster Banned

Thanks for the comments. I will put in some low perches and some magazines too.

Also, I don't have any chickens yet. I will probably get some for christmas though so I need to get the coop ready etc.

im speechless
thats the best looking coop EVER
please update with pics and a daily digest of what the chucks get up to on a daily basis

looks really cool,but shouldnt the sloping roof extend beyond the end of the coop? to take rain away completely?it appears to fall short and water would drain into the chickens living area?

you will have fun tho-we got ducks instead and they are hilarious!

vibeone

I'm going to build it myself at the weekend hopefully.

How big is it? I would give it more than a weekend in time as you will more than likely try rushing it to get it done, no shame in taking a bit longer and doing it right first time.

I am going to put a roof over ours run this week to give good winter shelter.

I know my daughter's bf's mum has recently had chickens and they mentioned that the coop was off ground for cleaning (poo falls through to floor of garden for clearing) and foxes. Sorry cant be clearer than that. But it looks great otherwise!

Banned

DarkKnight

Where's the Playboy Mansion Jacuzzi brah?Also is that a book shelf behind … Where's the Playboy Mansion Jacuzzi brah?Also is that a book shelf behind that main door?

pah,bookshelf ,thats the dvd rack under the plasma,wot you on brah.....

barky

looks really cool,but shouldnt the sloping roof extend beyond the end of … looks really cool,but shouldnt the sloping roof extend beyond the end of the coop? to take rain away completely?it appears to fall short and water would drain into the chickens living area?you will have fun tho-we got ducks instead and they are hilarious!

aaah ducky pics please

Original Poster Banned

harlzter

What roofing material you going to use? I'd recommend onduline rather … What roofing material you going to use? I'd recommend onduline rather than felt as Chicken Mite will love breeding under the felt, and is it open fronted between the run and coop? it looks as though you may have just chicken wire, you could do with something more solid for warmth over winter.Lay slabs around the outside to stop foxes burrowing.

In the night time I will put the hens in the inside bit and also a sign saying no foxes on the front door. Will this suffice? Please advise.

barky

looks really cool,but shouldnt the sloping roof extend beyond the end of … looks really cool,but shouldnt the sloping roof extend beyond the end of the coop? to take rain away completely?it appears to fall short and water would drain into the chickens living area?you will have fun tho-we got ducks instead and they are hilarious!

I was thinking ahead really. I'm going to make it modular so in summer I will add a paddling pool to that end you see. Hens like paddling for sure.

barky

I would have it running into barrels and to a self filling drinker as they love rainwater over tap. I have it into a brewing barrel (with a overflow that drains away excess) that in turn feeds nipple drinkers

Banned

This looks like a fantasy thread. What happened to the proper 500+ Chicken thread?

Original Poster Banned

Here is a PROOF OF CONCEPT idea I have for the inside of the chicken coop...

http://idea4home.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/272_Stair_for_Modern_Home_Interior_Design_8.jpg

Thanks in advance for comments.

no satellite dish on the roof?

harlzter

I would have it running into barrels and to a self filling drinker as … I would have it running into barrels and to a self filling drinker as they love rainwater over tap. I have it into a brewing barrel (with a overflow that drains away excess) that in turn feeds nipple drinkers

you really love yr chucks dont you, not just a fashion accessory *thumbs up smiley*

z0mg I found a pic of VB1!

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100421043644/southpark/images/thumb/3/3e/BookMobileDriver.jpg/200px-BookMobileDriver.jpg

guv

This looks like a fantasy thread. What happened to the proper 500+ … This looks like a fantasy thread. What happened to the proper 500+ Chicken thread?

someone is a giver but not a receiver

Original Poster Banned

guv

This looks like a fantasy thread. What happened to the proper 500+ … This looks like a fantasy thread. What happened to the proper 500+ Chicken thread?

DragonChris

z0mg I found a pic of VB1!

Banned

bossyboots

someone is a giver but not a receiver

Goatse?

vibeone

Here is a PROOF OF CONCEPT idea I have for the inside of the chicken … Here is a PROOF OF CONCEPT idea I have for the inside of the chicken coop...Thanks in advance for comments.

mmmm I reckon you need to put the spiddles bit closer together and also have u considered built in speaker system throughout - wires hidden ofcourse for safety reasons

Mod & Ed

Are you going to get a "fella" for your chickens?

wishihadadonkey

Are you going to get a "fella" for your chickens?

i think he needs to conside more than one **** to keep the hens happy

edjaned

i think he needs to conside more than one **** to keep the hens happy

very true indeed Edjaned - was reading earlier about a hen who had more than one ****.

excellent interior you have there VB1........I see you can double the banister as perches and the sanitary floor surface is ideal.

Banned

edjaned

i think he needs to consider more than one **** to keep the hens happy

Who says he wants cocks to keep the hens happy?

i think u need to consider meds aswell for the happy family well u know to keep them healthy
maybe they would like a balcony too

brah when i build mine the interior will be something like this

http://www.hotels-paris-france-hotels.com/versailles/palace/chateau-de-versallis.jpg

guv

Who says he wants cocks to keep the hens happy?

you dont think he is going to "keep them happy" himself oO do you

X)

bossyboots

you dont think he is going to "keep them happy" himself oO do youX)

he better stock up on sellotape then

pmsl toooo funny folks!! am off out for a bit to walk the chicken, I mean the dog!

bossyboots

pmsl toooo funny folks!! am off out for a bit to walk the chicken, I mean … pmsl toooo funny folks!! am off out for a bit to walk the chicken, I mean the dog!

haha
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564083
    2. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery2382
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769219
    4. Leicester sack their manager!815

See more discussions