Groups

VB1: Olympic luger Nodar Kumaritashvili dies after crash (Link)

Banned
    A luge competitor has died after leaving the track at high speed during Winter Olympic training in Canada.

Georgian Nodar Kumaritashvili was given emergency resuscitation treatment at the Whistler Sliding Centre.

His sled left the Olympic track and smashed into a steel pole. An Olympic official confirmed he had been killed.

Source: BBC - news.bbc.co.uk/spo…stm

41 Comments

Original Poster Banned

Link to video: youtube.com/wat…yFE

NEW LINK TO VIDEO: liveleak.com/vie…280

Before you call this insensitive, you might wanna read the BBC story which states "Prior to his crash, Kumaritashvili was not considered a medal prospect". Nice work BBC... THATS insensitive.

Said he was only 21. :-(

vibeone;7825893

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxF0ml56yFEBefore you call … Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxF0ml56yFEBefore you call this insensitive, you might wanna read the BBC story which states "Prior to his crash, Kumaritashvili was not considered a medal prospect". Nice work BBC... THATS insensitive.

Has been taken off now, what was it?

This is awful news

no video :thinking:

Original Poster Banned

TheMafia;7825931

Has been taken off now, what was it?This is awful news

Wow that was quick. Was video of the crash.

vibeone;7825946

Wow that was quick. Was video of the crash.

I watched it before it was removed, looked awful.

i missed it boooooooo

its taken of youtube too

Original Poster Banned

asayer;7826014

i missed it boooooooo

Envisage a blokes head and body getting wrapped around a post at 95mph.

I'm not squeemish in the slightest, but its a bad bad bad video.

How very sad.

vibeone;7826037

Envisage a blokes head and body getting wrapped around a post at … Envisage a blokes head and body getting wrapped around a post at 95mph.I'm not squeemish in the slightest, but its a bad bad bad video.

I was just interested, i have seen some terrible stuff this doesn't sound too bad, it is very sad though he is the same age as me

Original Poster Banned

I notice the bbc story has been updated to remove the slightly offensive photo caption I quoted above.

Omg....

150 Km Hr

longbowassassin;7826354

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0ba_1266003820http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d02_1266004280

safe

blimey, RIP

Just seen it, has made me very sad

TheMafia;7826499

Just seen it, has made me very sad

made me think you'd have to be a nut job to go round an icy track on your back without being able to see where your going

Banned

numptyj;7826514

made me think you'd have to be a nut job to go round an icy track on your … made me think you'd have to be a nut job to go round an icy track on your back without being able to see where your going

No doubt there will be an enquiry and they will find fault with the course and the position of the posts, but the harsh reality of this "sport" is its complete madness.

OMG just watched the video... truly awful !

Wow that was truly awful.

R.I.P..So young

Banned

In before someone says "Hope they update winter olympics vancouver 2010 on the xbox or i'll be ******."

jeeeeeeez .............. no chance of surviving at that speed.

Tragic for him and his family.

Banned

Seems the luge event is still going ahead in this Olympics, despite his death. Not 100% sure if its a good thing or not. If it was "pilot error", then its going to get repeated at some point, though the participants know the risks. If it was a course design malfunction, then hopefully there is not a re-occurrence, though I'm sure they have studied the video of what happened for positive reasons rather than some morbid gloat.

Original Poster Banned

guv;7826538

No doubt there will be an enquiry and they will find fault with the … No doubt there will be an enquiry and they will find fault with the course and the position of the posts, but the harsh reality of this "sport" is its complete madness.

So?

I partly agree, but you could say motor racing is madness as well. In fact most sports. If lugers want to luge, fair play to them. They know the risks.

Banned

vibeone;7828798

So?I partly agree, but you could say motor racing is madness as well. In … So?I partly agree, but you could say motor racing is madness as well. In fact most sports. If lugers want to luge, fair play to them. They know the risks.

To an extent, I agree. But motor racing seems much more controllable than falling down an ice rink wearing a condom. Anyway, as I pointed out too - they do know the risks, so their choice.

Banned

guv;7828813

To an extent, I agree. But motor racing seems much more controllable than … To an extent, I agree. But motor racing seems much more controllable than falling down an ice rink wearing a condom. Anyway, as I pointed out too - they do know the risks, so their choice.

To be fair, they're only reliable 99% of the time.

Seems like he was in the 1%.

nasty :?

Seems a little strange to me to have unprotected RSJ's that close the the track, i don't doubt that being protected wouldn't have helped but I would have thought a safety type catch netting would be used as in the downhill events.

Video is horrific btw.

Banned

greg_68;7830243

Seems a little strange to me to have unprotected RSJ's that close the the … Seems a little strange to me to have unprotected RSJ's that close the the track, i don't doubt that being protected wouldn't have helped but I would have thought a safety type catch netting would be used as in the downhill events.Video is horrific btw.

Not really.

borolad94;7830578

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc7nxy_nodar-kumaritashvili-crash-vancouve_newsHere's another link...

Link removed. Seen the photo's, he's obviously dead. Is there a need to put them on the net?

Says a lot about the world we live in that they put them up knowing people want to see them

Banned

greg_68;7830690

Link removed. Seen the photo's, he's obviously dead. Is there a need to … Link removed. Seen the photo's, he's obviously dead. Is there a need to put them on the net?Says a lot about the world we live in that they put them up knowing people want to see them

It's normal to have a fascination with death.

FilthAndFurry;7830705

It's normal to have a fascination with death.

I agree but to highlight a photo of someone who is obviously dead within hours of the accident doesn't sit well with me.

I think the world would be a happier place if you didn't see this stuff.

Banned

greg_68;7830715

I agree but to highlight a photo of someone who is obviously dead within … I agree but to highlight a photo of someone who is obviously dead within hours of the accident doesn't sit well with me.I think the world would be a happier place if you didn't see this stuff.

Might help people realise.

Speed kills.

DLM;7830773

Might help people realise.Speed kills.

Spot on DLM, I will cancel my luge lesson booked for tomorrow straight away :thinking:

guv;7826538

No doubt there will be an enquiry and they will find fault with the … No doubt there will be an enquiry and they will find fault with the course and the position of the posts, but the harsh reality of this "sport" is its complete madness.

vibeone;7828798

I partly agree, but you could say motor racing is madness as well. In … I partly agree, but you could say motor racing is madness as well. In fact most sports. If lugers want to luge, fair play to them. They know the risks.

yep you do have to be mad to do the sport but if people want to do it let them, we have this argument every year here on the isle of man with the TT.

bikes racing around a road circuit at speeds of up to 190mph, no run offs or gravel traps, if you come of, you are more than likely to die, but if people want to do it and no the risks, why stop them?

Banned

greg_68;7830784

Spot on DLM, I will cancel my luge lesson booked for tomorrow straight … Spot on DLM, I will cancel my luge lesson booked for tomorrow straight away :thinking:

It's your life :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Jury service1620
      2. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother67
      3. What laptop to choose?11
      4. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33

See more discussions