Vegetarian Lasagna - Mods Please lock this thread!!

Found 12th Oct 2011
Does anyone know what supermarket sells vegetarian lasagna? I get this craving at least twice a week and it's quite time consuming making it from scratch, not to mention costly ~£15. I had a look in Iceland and Tesco today, but sadly I couldn't find any. Your help would be much appreciated :-)
Community Updates
MiscCinemaVegetarian
49 Comments
lots of places should have the linda mccartney ones... i made a spinach and ricotta one tonight.. was a pile of ****

mostly because i couldnt be arsed buying the right ingredients
Why on earth dos it cost you that much to make?
Just been to morrisons and saw some Linda McCartney Vegetarian Lasagne half price. Not 100% on the price but think it was £1.49.
Some milk + cheese, flour + margarine, cheap lasagna slices, cheap jar of tomato sauce + bag of quorn, onions + mushrooms would only equal £15 if you had to buy a lasagna dish aswell.
time consuming I will give you - but if it is costing you more to make than the cost of the ready meals then you are doing something wrong.
Ready made meals taste disgusting.
anewman

Just been to morrisons and saw some Linda McCartney Vegetarian Lasagne … Just been to morrisons and saw some Linda McCartney Vegetarian Lasagne half price. Not 100% on the price but think it was £1.49.

awww thank you. I'll have a look tomorrow xx
virus

Why on earth dos it cost you that much to make?

Well let me try to summarise lol
Cheddar Cheese - £3
Dolmio white sauce - £2
Dolmio tomato sauce - £2
what else do I buy hmmm let me think lol
Fresh vegetables mainly broccoli, carrots, peas, cauliflower as well as others (have to buy extra for my rabbit lol) - £5
lasagna sheets - £2

DLM

Ready made meals taste disgusting.

I must admit that some are disgusting, although the ready made iceland cheese and tomato pizza for £1 is quite nice...
anewman

Just been to morrisons and saw some Linda McCartney Vegetarian Lasagne … Just been to morrisons and saw some Linda McCartney Vegetarian Lasagne half price. Not 100% on the price but think it was £1.49.

Apparently the Linda McCartney one contains egg which I can't have

mysupermarket.co.uk/sai…tml
LittleRedRidingHood

Well let me try to summarise lol Cheddar Cheese - £3Dolmio white sauce - … Well let me try to summarise lol Cheddar Cheese - £3Dolmio white sauce - £2Dolmio tomato sauce - £2what else do I buy hmmm let me think lolFresh vegetables mainly broccoli, carrots, peas, cauliflower as well as others (have to buy extra for my rabbit lol) - £5lasagna sheets - £2

You can make your own white and tomato sauce, easy peasy plus it tastes better, will be better for you and is cheaper.
Now you have the lasagne sheets you should have some left over for next time and try getting your veggies from your local market as they will probably be cheaper there.
How come you can't have eggs but can have cheese? Is it the vegetarian thing or just that you don't like them? Just me being nosey lol.
sickly sweet

You can make your own white and tomato sauce, easy peasy plus it tastes … You can make your own white and tomato sauce, easy peasy plus it tastes better, will be better for you and is cheaper.Now you have the lasagne sheets you should have some left over for next time and try getting your veggies from your local market as they will probably be cheaper there.How come you can't have eggs but can have cheese? Is it the vegetarian thing or just that you don't like them? Just me being nosey lol.

Thank you, erm how can I make the sauces? I'll have to google it in a bit X) I've been a vegan for the past 5 years, but then my health started deteriorating recently and I quit 4 months ago. I'm now a vegetarian, although I can't get myself to eat egg. I am going to go back to vegan-ism after I gain a little more weight and after this lasagna craving goes away lol X) xx
Maybe eat it at a vegetarian restaurant and it will probably work out cheaper.
LittleRedRidingHood

Thank you, erm how can I make the sauces? I'll have to google it in a bit … Thank you, erm how can I make the sauces? I'll have to google it in a bit X) I've been a vegan for the past 5 years, but then my health started deteriorating recently and I quit 4 months ago. I'm now a vegetarian, although I can't get myself to eat egg. I am going to go back to vegan-ism after I gain a little more weight and after this lasagna craving goes away lol X) xx

My hens lay nice eggs and I definitely would not throw them away after the effort they have put in laying them.
DLM

Maybe eat it at a vegetarian restaurant and it will probably work out … Maybe eat it at a vegetarian restaurant and it will probably work out cheaper.

I might try that if I can't find any other alternatives. I don't really like eating out as I'm an extremely messy eater lol xx
sickly sweet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/diarmuidgavinsroastv_73144 that … http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/diarmuidgavinsroastv_73144 that sounds nice.http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/goats_cheese_and_tomato_26471 and this

aww thank you hun xx I'll try the Roast vegetable lasagna over the weekend, as for the other one, I don't think I've ever had goat cheese lol so I might not like it xx
LittleRedRidingHood

aww thank you hun xx I'll try the Roast vegetable lasagna over the … aww thank you hun xx I'll try the Roast vegetable lasagna over the weekend, as for the other one, I don't think I've ever had goat cheese lol so I might not like it xx

You should try it, it's yummy.
sickly sweet

You should try it, it's yummy.

For some reason it kind of reminds me of the time when my mum had camel meat oO lol xx
Edited by: "LittleRedRidingHood" 13th Oct 2011
I have just noticed that you live in manchester.

I live in manchester and I have noticed quite a few veggie restaurants in the city centre but I haven't got around to trying any yet.

This one is very well known:-

eighth-day.co.uk/caf…htm
Try making it yourself, I usually make a spinach lasagna for my vegetarian friends here's a similar recipe - deliaonline.com/rec…tml
Sorry to be such a pedantic sod...

"not to mention costly ~£15"

"Well let me try to summarise lol
Cheddar Cheese - £3
Dolmio white sauce - £2
Dolmio tomato sauce - £2
what else do I buy hmmm let me think lol
Fresh vegetables mainly broccoli, carrots, peas, cauliflower as well as others (have to buy extra for my rabbit lol) - £5
lasagna sheets - £2"

£3 + £2 + £2 + £5 + £2 = £14 or am I missing something?

I think I just saved you £1.
jiminym

Sorry to be such a pedantic sod..."not to mention costly ~£15""Well let … Sorry to be such a pedantic sod..."not to mention costly ~£15""Well let me try to summarise lol Cheddar Cheese - £3Dolmio white sauce - £2Dolmio tomato sauce - £2what else do I buy hmmm let me think lolFresh vegetables mainly broccoli, carrots, peas, cauliflower as well as others (have to buy extra for my rabbit lol) - £5lasagna sheets - £2"£3 + £2 + £2 + £5 + £2 = £14 or am I missing something?I think I just saved you £1.

Or make the white sauce, it's only butter, milk, flour & seasoning. The tomato sauce is easy also I usually use tinned tomatoes, garlic, oregano, mushrooms & onion

Edit: just realised this has already been mentioned above, I shall go sleep now
Edited by: "livingthelife07" 13th Oct 2011
also - when you make it , it may cost £13, but thats for a number of servings - so you can freeze the rest ?
jiminym

Sorry to be such a pedantic sod..."not to mention costly ~£15""Well let … Sorry to be such a pedantic sod..."not to mention costly ~£15""Well let me try to summarise lol Cheddar Cheese - £3Dolmio white sauce - £2Dolmio tomato sauce - £2what else do I buy hmmm let me think lolFresh vegetables mainly broccoli, carrots, peas, cauliflower as well as others (have to buy extra for my rabbit lol) - £5lasagna sheets - £2"£3 + £2 + £2 + £5 + £2 = £14 or am I missing something?I think I just saved you £1.

hahaha it's fine, I can be pedantic too lol. I said it costs around £15 (~15) The ~ symbol stands for around xx
livingthelife07

Or make the white sauce, it's only butter, milk, flour & seasoning. The … Or make the white sauce, it's only butter, milk, flour & seasoning. The tomato sauce is easy also I usually use tinned tomatoes, garlic, oregano, mushrooms & onion :)Edit: just realised this has already been mentioned above, I shall go sleep now

Thanks for the tips. I'll try it this weekend xx
DLM

I have just noticed that you live in manchester.I live in manchester and … I have just noticed that you live in manchester.I live in manchester and I have noticed quite a few veggie restaurants in the city centre but I haven't got around to trying any yet.This one is very well known:-http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/cafe.htm

Thanks hun. I'll have to try it next time I'm in the city centre. They even serve vegan dishes. It certainly would have made my life a lot easier if I had known about it when I was a vegan xx
astonmart4321

also - when you make it , it may cost £13, but thats for a number of … also - when you make it , it may cost £13, but thats for a number of servings - so you can freeze the rest ?

Yes but I have to share it with parents and siblings so I only get one or two servings for myself lol. It's not so much the cost, it's the fact that it's really time consuming and being a thrid year veterinary student doesn't help.
LittleRedRidingHood

Well let me try to summarise lol Cheddar Cheese - £3Dolmio white sauce - … Well let me try to summarise lol Cheddar Cheese - £3Dolmio white sauce - £2Dolmio tomato sauce - £2what else do I buy hmmm let me think lolFresh vegetables mainly broccoli, carrots, peas, cauliflower as well as others (have to buy extra for my rabbit lol) - £5lasagna sheets - £2

LOL - I wouldnt call that 'making it from scratch'

you could make a 6 portion veggie lasagne for £5 easily and will taste infinitely better than the equivalently priced pre-made supermarket gunk.
nutmeg in a bechamel

infact just make spinach and ricotta cannelloni.. its the nuts,

not really any point in picking between ready meals and dolmio sauce... bascially the same thing, i get annoyed it just costs a lot to make a meal for one person from scratch..
Try this one instead and it will make several lasagnas so freeze some for later

2kg courgettes
1 onion
2/3 cloves of garlic
packet of lasagne sheets
Freshly grated parmesan (From a block not the ready grated dried vomit stuff! don't skimp - use the real stuff)
fresh nutmeg
vegetable boullion powder/veggie stock cube
olive oil

Method

Dice onions finely and sweat gently in the olive oil in a large pan.
Finely chop the garlic and add to the pan
Peel the courgettes and chop.
Add these to the pan and mix.
Sweat gently for five minutes or so, stirring from time to time so that the ingredients don't colour.
Sprinkle on a heaped tsp of the vegetable boullion/crumble in the veggie stock cube
Add a little boiling water (2 cups) to slacken mixture off.
Cover and simmer until courgettes are soft.
Blitz to a smooth puree.
Grate in some fresh nutmeg.

Ladle enough of the puree to thinly cover the base of your dish. (I use rectangular ones that take 2 sheets)
Sprinkle on a little parmesan.
Cover with the lasagna sheets
Repeat the layers finishing with a layer of puree topped with parmesan

Bake in a medium oven until the top bubbles and the cheese starts to go golden brown - about 15-20 minutes.

Scoff!

might try this canny - what veg can i use instead of courgettes - I find them v bitter ?
sainsburys have the quorn one... and they have deals sometimes too!.. 3 ready meals for £5.
Stop shopping at Fortnum & Masons then.
Even if you bought top quality ingredients, you would likely have some left over to make secondary meals.
DLM

I have just noticed that you live in manchester.I live in manchester and … I have just noticed that you live in manchester.I live in manchester and I have noticed quite a few veggie restaurants in the city centre but I haven't got around to trying any yet.This one is very well known:-http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/cafe.htm

bistro1847.com/

1847 is tasty too
Rahsykins

http://bistro1847.com/1847 is tasty too

Oh thank you but you've revived a really old thread

Also I've been a vegan for almost a year and a half now so I can't have lasagne anymore
I don't get it. Plants, wheat and anything grown from the ground also have feelings and feel pain.

You murderer

Or is it killed in an ethical way?

I don't get it.

Just use vege mince from H&B.

Edited by: "ewwaxo" 5th Jul 2013
LittleRedRidingHood

Oh thank you but you've revived a really old thread :3Also I've been a … Oh thank you but you've revived a really old thread :3Also I've been a vegan for almost a year and a half now so I can't have lasagne anymore

Rahsykins

Aha! I just clicked on it through you through animal crossing as i'm a … Aha! I just clicked on it through you through animal crossing as i'm a veggie :-P They sell vegan food aswell if you wanted a vegan restaurant :-D

Oh thank you darling, I'll definitely check it out Oh and you have to try the new falafel place near Piccadilly. It's called Go Falafel and everything on their menu is suitable for vegetarians/vegans Not to mention, it's the best falafel wrap I've ever tasted.

P.s. can't wait to play animal crossing with you

Edited by: "LittleRedRidingHood" 5th Jul 2013

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants