Groups
    EXPIRED

Vegetarian Prawn Crackers

Been hunting for some for ages, all of the prawn crackers I can find have extract of prawn or shrimp in them. Even at Chinese Shops and Supermarkets they don't seem to do them. Surely its possible to get them in different non-meat/fish flavours or plain ones?
    Has anyone came across any?

21 Comments

starsparkle2311;4954451

OK I am sorry but this is what gets me about vegetarians why do you want … OK I am sorry but this is what gets me about vegetarians why do you want to taste the flavour if you have chosen not to eat the real thing?By the way, did you iron your curtains?

hahaha!!!!! upfront there SS??!!?!

Original Poster

Who says I want the flavour of prawn in them? I just like prawn crackers whether you could taste the prawn or not! Not ironed them yet not =D

Surely its possible to get them in different non-meat/fish flavours or … Surely its possible to get them in different non-meat/fish flavours or plain ones?

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;4954518

well yes, but I've always wondered

Some do some don't. Personally I never liked eating meat in the first place, its why I became vegetarian, so the taste doesn't mean much to me, I just like the texture of prawn crackers lol

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;4954547

I know, I wasn't meaning to spark a debate off, sorry OP, I see what you … I know, I wasn't meaning to spark a debate off, sorry OP, I see what you mean now, I can't think of any similar crackers, although, have you tried crsipy noodles? not quite the same, but they are tasty.

Sorry I edited my post to remove that, reread and realised you were just asking a question which I guess is ok
    I haven't tried crispy noodles no, but seen them in recipes I'll look into it thanks =]

starsparkle2311;4954451

OK I am sorry but this is what gets me about vegetarians why do you want … OK I am sorry but this is what gets me about vegetarians why do you want to taste the flavour if you have chosen not to eat the real thing?By the way, did you iron your curtains?

Maybe because they like the taste of meat, but dont like the stigma of the animal thing.
    Maybe because they ain't allowed meat for some reason of other.
    Maybe they are dieting, and prefer the lower calorie stuff.
    Just a few ideas...

krato;4954553

Some do some don't. Personally I never liked eating meat in the first … Some do some don't. Personally I never liked eating meat in the first place, its why I became vegetarian, so the taste doesn't mean much to me, I just like the texture of prawn crackers lol

what about Quavers ?

Original Poster

lil_tiger;4954562

Would you be able to try making them...without putting the prawn things … Would you be able to try making them...without putting the prawn things in?http://neckredrecipes.blogspot.com/2006/04/prawn-crackers-har-pang.html

oh wow thanks! I've looked all over for how to make them but never found any recipes.. I know you can get the little hard disc things and fry them which turn into prawn crackers.. Thanks for the link +rep =D

Original Poster

choc1969;4954577

what about Quavers ?

Lol! Funnily enough they are my fav crisps =]

krato;4954588

oh wow thanks! I've looked all over for how to make them but never found … oh wow thanks! I've looked all over for how to make them but never found any recipes.. I know you can get the little hard disc things and fry them which turn into prawn crackers.. Thanks for the link +rep =D

your welcome....you could try putting different substitutes in and see what happens

Not seen any ever.
    Seen Chinese takeaways and restaurants here selling prawn crackers and such things as stir fry with oyster sauce,they down as vegetarian section but never are truly veggie.

Similar alternative,maybe poppadoms ( can't spell that ) I had some Patak's ones other day,Chilli & Lime.

Original Poster

yeah poppadoms are more crispy and less crunchy lol I love them packs of walkers popadom things though they're amazing! Similar to prawn crackers they're in chilli and lime too, these what you mean?

lil_tiger;4954562

Would you be able to try making them...without putting the prawn things … Would you be able to try making them...without putting the prawn things in?http://neckredrecipes.blogspot.com/2006/04/prawn-crackers-har-pang.html

Thanks for the recipe , repped :-D

Original Poster

lil_tiger;4954623

http://www.gelskitchen.com/view/recipes/rec/10144/-/ these look simpler

Why do they all require sun drying =O we get no sun here! lol

krato;4954669

Why do they all require sun drying =O we get no sun here! lol

could try grilling them slowly with foil over them...or put them in the oven on low with the door open, so theres the heat to dry them out but so they wont cook?

In spain we have vegetarian versions of them. They are brown and a little spicy but seem the same texture. I can't remember exactly what prawn crackers are like as I've been veggie for 23 years but they seem very similar. Do they not do them over here. Sorry I only eat chinese in Spain

krato;4954646

yeah poppadoms are more crispy and less crunchy lol I love them packs of … yeah poppadoms are more crispy and less crunchy lol I love them packs of walkers popadom things though they're amazing! Similar to prawn crackers they're in chilli and lime too, these what you mean?

These were Pataks. It said to serve with chutney's and other dips but they tasted strong on own.

Original Poster

lil_tiger;4954787

could try grilling them slowly with foil over them...or put them in the … could try grilling them slowly with foil over them...or put them in the oven on low with the door open, so theres the heat to dry them out but so they wont cook?

Another website mentions putting them in a dehydrator they seem quite cheap-ish! I tried making banana chips in the oven once instead of a food dehydrator and they just cooked even on low with foil over them so not sure if it would work =/

wookiemummy;4954827

In spain we have vegetarian versions of them. They are brown and a little … In spain we have vegetarian versions of them. They are brown and a little spicy but seem the same texture. I can't remember exactly what prawn crackers are like as I've been veggie for 23 years but they seem very similar. Do they not do them over here. Sorry I only eat chinese in Spain

Sounds interesting! I can't find anything over here no, I've only ever came across Walkers Sensation Popadom Bites which are similar to prawn crackers (though not as nice) I'll try find out what the ones in spain are called. rep+

Original Poster

Just been looking on tesco and came accross these:
    tesco.com/sup…htm
    not sure what they're like but I'll buy some soon to see =D

I would recommend this recipe kuali.com/rec…351 and replace the prawn with onion. You might want to add a spice of your choice if the onion lacks flavour. The tapioca flour isn't sold in Tesco or any of the big supermarkets as far as I'm aware but you can find it in most Chinese supermarkets. Hope this helps!

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. love affairs1547
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767273
    3. Spotify Family Premium share614
    4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***317

See more discussions