Vehicle SORN

Posted 15th Apr
So my friend wants to sorn his vehicle because his insurance ended and so did the road tax. He doesn’t use the car and it hasn’t moved for a month so the best thing to do is declare it as sorn. I know that the vehicle has to be in a private land. Does his parking spot for his flat where he lives be considered as private land? He does pay for the permit every year and the parking spot has a number allocated to his flat.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I think if it's off the public road then it's ok but if not then it will be clamped and towed.
One thing to look out for is the flats rules.
Some councils want you to tell them it’s a sorn Vehicle, or they might think it’s been dumped and tow it.
Same with housing association.
The best thing to do is wash the car every 2 weeks then it looks like it’s being used
Yes, the parking spot with be considered private land. Although someone left their car in one of the car parks where I lived and some of the residents had it removed as they thought it was abandoned.
If it requires a different permit to that of public roads then it's private. As long as you have a valid permit it will be fine.
Edited by: "MR1123" 15th Apr
From DVLA:
"It is an offence to keep or use a vehicle that has been declared ‘off the road’ if the vehicle is being kept on a ‘public road’. A public road is defined as meaning a road which is repairable at the public expense. This may include footpaths, grass verges and certain car parks."

Also, your friend should check his lease/rent agreement as it might stipulate that only taxed & insured vehicles can use the assigned parking bay.
One of those quirky situations where non-road risks insurance may be required (or implied) by the property lease or even voluntarily prudent to protect the vehicle owner from claims related to any adjacent vehicles and/or environment (tarmac, markings, property, etc) in case of fire, explosion, etc caused by any reason including vandalism.
Today is 15th of month which implies an offence has already been committed from 1st of month if tax has expired and SORN has not been declared.
So He would have to buy road tax even if He don’t get to use it because of covid19? I don’t think it’s going to be classified as private property
Merry00021/04/2020 18:56

So He would have to buy road tax even if He don’t get to use it because of …So He would have to buy road tax even if He don’t get to use it because of covid19? I don’t think it’s going to be classified as private property

Difficult to understand the meaning of your post but as it was two weeks ago the issue has probably been sorted by SORN or fixed penalty.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions