Vehicle SORN...What happens to the private reg?

Found 5th Feb
Unfortunately my dad had a stroke and now he's unable to drive...he previously had a private number plate on his vehicle which since I've declared SORN due to the MOT coming up etc...

We want to keep the plate but what do I have to do with the number plate?

any help appreciated

Bruce287
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
As far as I'm aware, it stays on the vehicle until it's tranfered to another car or you put the original back on. Could be wrong
It will be fine on the current vehicle for as long as it remains under your fathers ownership.
If you wish to sell the vehicle on then you will need to retain the plate, using the link provided in the comment above. Once on retention you will have to renew that rentention every 10 years if it is not assigned to another vehicle.
Original Poster
Thanks I'll call them in the morning...I don't want to lose my dad's plate... eventually probably transfer to my vehicle
AndroidMan1 h, 36 m ago

It will be fine on the current vehicle for as long as it remains under …It will be fine on the current vehicle for as long as it remains under your fathers ownership.If you wish to sell the vehicle on then you will need to retain the plate, using the link provided in the comment above. Once on retention you will have to renew that rentention every 10 years if it is not assigned to another vehicle.

You do not have to retain the private plate only if you want to.
bruce28745 m ago

Thanks I'll call them in the morning...I don't want to lose my dad's …Thanks I'll call them in the morning...I don't want to lose my dad's plate... eventually probably transfer to my vehicle

You would only lose it if you sell or scrap the car. No need to transfer the plate at this time.
Take it you've read this?

How to take off a number You can take off a private number online or by post. It costs £80. If you don’t assign the number within 6 years, you can apply for a refund.

You can’t use the online service if the vehicle isn’t in your name, you have to apply by post.

What happens to the vehicle The vehicle will get a new number assigned to it straight away if you do it online, it takes longer by post.

You’ll need to get new number plates made.

What happens to the number You’ll get a V778 document that proves you still have the right to use the number for the next 10 years. You must renew your right to use a private number before it expires.

If you’ve taken the number off a vehicle online, you can assign it to another vehicle straight away - use the reference number you get at the end.
You need to do it quickly. Theres alot of stupid regulations regarding removing the reg if its not taxed or mot. Do it before mot expires
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants