Vehicle tax question

Found 24th Jun
An elderly friend sold their vehicle last year and handed over the log book to the new owner as they said they would sort everything out. I don't think the new owner has done anything as my friend has recently got a couple of letters from DVLA saying they need to tax the vehicle. They've showed me a "Last chance" letter. The vehicle is a tractor so it may be exempt but I think the new owner still needs to apply.

What can my friend do at this stage to fix this mess? They can probably get an approximate date of sale from the insurance company but don't have the log book or any sale receipts and they're worried about getting into trouble. Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Delbert.Grady13 h, 39 m ago

Help your elderly friend to do as wayners and rayanfield83 suggest above, …Help your elderly friend to do as wayners and rayanfield83 suggest above, and do it quickly, because otherwise your friend will get a fine, and once that happens they'll have to pay it, the DVLA don't listen to any reasoning, no matter how valid.

Trying to criticise or allocate blame to the DVLA is utterly wrong.

It's not that the DVLA don't listen. It's that people don't follow the very clear, very simple instructions that tell them very clearly what they have to do.

DVLA have already been helpful by making it very clear that it is the OWNER's responsibility to notify the sale. Otherwise, as you rightly point out, they own any fine or offense committed during their continuing ownership and have to pay.
Edited by: "ccnp" 25th Jun
8 Comments
gov.uk/sol…cle

Log it in there! The other person will be accountable for not informing them after you’ve done so
We had similar. We phoned dvla and they said to go online and log the sale. We did even though it was 6 months earlier on the sale date. If you don't have the correct numbers from log book you can phone them or request a new logbook then transfer using the sale date. If you don't then you may get trouble and maybe a fine. We never thought about getting a replacement document as nothing stopping us just to get the numbers
Edited by: "wayners" 24th Jun
Help your elderly friend to do as wayners and rayanfield83 suggest above, and do it quickly, because otherwise your friend will get a fine, and once that happens they'll have to pay it, the DVLA don't listen to any reasoning, no matter how valid.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 24th Jun
Delbert.Grady13 h, 39 m ago

Help your elderly friend to do as wayners and rayanfield83 suggest above, …Help your elderly friend to do as wayners and rayanfield83 suggest above, and do it quickly, because otherwise your friend will get a fine, and once that happens they'll have to pay it, the DVLA don't listen to any reasoning, no matter how valid.

Trying to criticise or allocate blame to the DVLA is utterly wrong.

It's not that the DVLA don't listen. It's that people don't follow the very clear, very simple instructions that tell them very clearly what they have to do.

DVLA have already been helpful by making it very clear that it is the OWNER's responsibility to notify the sale. Otherwise, as you rightly point out, they own any fine or offense committed during their continuing ownership and have to pay.
Edited by: "ccnp" 25th Jun
Thanks everyone, I'm going to do the online thing for him when we've got an approximate date of sale.
Kat_1232 h, 19 m ago

Thanks everyone, I'm going to do the online thing for him when we've got …Thanks everyone, I'm going to do the online thing for him when we've got an approximate date of sale.

You need the long number on the log book. Do you have it? If not phone them and advise and possibly fill in the form online to request a new log book. Also the current owner is driving a car that is not insured unless they told insurance company they are not the registered keeper.
Edited by: "wayners" 25th Jun
wayners20 m ago

You need the long number on the log book. Do you have it? If not phone …You need the long number on the log book. Do you have it? If not phone them and advise and possibly fill in the form online to request a new log book. Also the current owner is driving a car that is not insured unless they told insurance company they are not the registered keeper.

The OP said the vehicle is a tractor not a car so maybe the intention is to keep it just for agricultural use. I would think it would still be liable for road tax otherwise it couldn't be moved off the land lawfully unless there is some sort of exemption for farm vehicles.
ccnp5 h, 56 m ago

Trying to criticise or allocate blame to the DVLA is utterly wrong. It's …Trying to criticise or allocate blame to the DVLA is utterly wrong. It's not that the DVLA don't listen. It's that people don't follow the very clear, very simple instructions that tell them very clearly what they have to do.DVLA have already been helpful by making it very clear that it is the OWNER's responsibility to notify the sale. Otherwise, as you rightly point out, they own any fine or offense committed during their continuing ownership and have to pay.

I never said this was the DVLA's fault.
I was simply pointing out that if the DVLA fine the ops elderly friend for failure to notify, from my experience they will not take into account the reason for it or that persons age, health or circumstances, so as I said in my original post, they don't listen, or maybe they just don't care.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 25th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants