Venice on a budget

Good evening
Can anybody give any advice on doing Venice on a budget.
What areas to stay? How the water taxis work and areas were the restaurants that are cheap are away from the square.

I've found cheaper accommodation in lido and surrounding areas but scared for first timers it'll be too confusing

11 Comments

We've been to Venice several times and it can be really expensive, but there are ways to do it on a budget. Punta Sabbioni is on the far side of the Venetian lagoon and has several camp sites within easy reach. Eurocamp has a site nearby and also in Ca Savio. Flights to Marco Polo, come out of the airport and walk down to the ferry point, ferries go frequently to Venice via Murano/Punta Sabbioni/ Lido. Camp sites have bike hire to get around easily.

Once in Venice tickets for the vaporetto can be bought for several days for hopping on and off, the number 1 is a circular route. Food wise, stay away from the busy areas and wander off the beaten track.

Try and stay on the main island near st marks square. Use trivago or something to search for cheap hotels. For the vaporettos buy a multi day pass. The restaurants may charge you more if you sit down at a table. You can get cheap eats from some pizza places. Use the tripadvisor app to find places to eat.

I'm going to Italy next week and might go to venice again. Probably won't. Its heaving with tourists at this time of year.

Original Poster

booky

We've been to Venice several times and it can be really expensive, but … We've been to Venice several times and it can be really expensive, but there are ways to do it on a budget. Punta Sabbioni is on the far side of the Venetian lagoon and has several camp sites within easy reach. Eurocamp has a site nearby and also in Ca Savio. Flights to Marco Polo, come out of the airport and walk down to the ferry point, ferries go frequently to Venice via Murano/Punta Sabbioni/ Lido. Camp sites have bike hire to get around easily.Once in Venice tickets for the vaporetto can be bought for several days for hopping on and off, the number 1 is a circular route. Food wise, stay away from the busy areas and wander off the beaten track.

Thank you, ideally we don't fancy the camp sites as we're going in two couples. So hoping for a budget hotel b&b

By expensive how would u compare it to the uk

Thanks

Original Poster

vickibrockwell

Thank you, ideally we don't fancy the camp sites as we're going in two … Thank you, ideally we don't fancy the camp sites as we're going in two couples. So hoping for a budget hotel b&bBy expensive how would u compare it to the uk Thanks

Maybe should mention it's winter we're going too x

Original Poster

radium

Try and stay on the main island near st marks square. Use trivago or … Try and stay on the main island near st marks square. Use trivago or something to search for cheap hotels. For the vaporettos buy a multi day pass. The restaurants may charge you more if you sit down at a table. You can get cheap eats from some pizza places. Use the tripadvisor app to find places to eat.I'm going to Italy next week and might go to venice again. Probably won't. Its heaving with tourists at this time of year.

Yes I can imagine, we've never been so I feel it's a must.
Would u not recommend staying on the smaller islands?

vickibrockwell11 m ago

Yes I can imagine, we've never been so I feel it's a must.Would u not …Yes I can imagine, we've never been so I feel it's a must.Would u not recommend staying on the smaller islands?

If you have to then fine but you should be able to find a cheap hotel if you start looking early. The smaller islands are quite boring, in my opinion, and staying on the main island allows you to wander the streets until late (and early to catch the markets). The place is quite safe.

Original Poster

That sounds ideal as we're young couples.

We've just found a cheap bargain called hotel pantalon, do you know the area?x

If you are after a hotel try on Trip advisor, we have stayed at a few from the site, one of our favourites being The Panorama on the Lido, also stayed at the Cristallo which was cheaper. Lots of nice places to eat on the Lido. Also Nice sail on the vaporetto over to St Marks. Recently we have stayed in apartments using Truly Venice, they have some stunning reasonably priced places. Yes the vaporetto multi day passes are great.

Original Poster

Roseyposey21

If you are after a hotel try on Trip advisor, we have stayed at a few … If you are after a hotel try on Trip advisor, we have stayed at a few from the site, one of our favourites being The Panorama on the Lido, also stayed at the Cristallo which was cheaper. Lots of nice places to eat on the Lido. Also Nice sail on the vaporetto over to St Marks. Recently we have stayed in apartments using Truly Venice, they have some stunning reasonably priced places. Yes the vaporetto multi day passes are great.

Would u recommend the lido over staying more central? I can see you get more for your money but we would be in the room other then a bed x

Lido is a nice area but you will have to get a water taxi into the main area. One thing I would say, is if you are going in winter you actually may get some good rates staying in the main tourist area as prices will drop significantly if it's not summer, school holidays or your dates don't collide with any particular events in Venice. Ebookers have a code SUMMER14 which should take off a good 14% off many hotels so try that.

Also, Airbnb may also be a good option too and you can always get around £15-20 off your booking if you are new and someone referrs you - if you need referring let me know.

You don't say how long you are going for - if a short break/long weekend I can't help too much other than venice itself carries a premium. If longer then I quite liked lido de jesolo where you have a long nice sandy beach, the road running parallel having lots of restaurants, bars and tourist shops without the premium paid in Venice - buses to Venice were both easy and under an hour for day trips there.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Iptv811
    2. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy45
    3. Does Tesco call you after a delivery?813
    4. Referbed MACBOOK- thoughts?!22

See more discussions